just found out I have a vitamin b12 deficiency

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a blood test done for arthritis and the doctor found out from my results I have a b12 deficiency and my levels are only 80! I have never felt so tired, I am halfway through my loading dose but there doesn't seem to be any improvement in how I feel.  I think I actually feel worse as I have had an upset stomach since starting the loading dose and keep getting pins and needles in my feet and hands. I really hope I start to feel more normal soon. Can anyone tell me how long until it starts to have an affect on me please as its really starting to bring me down now, thanks x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gemma. My levels were 78 when I was diagnosed so you're in good company!! I finished my loading doses 3 weeks ago and no improvement in my neurological symptoms (tingling and numbness and pins and needles) but my stomach issues (pain in upper abdomen) felt better about halfway through. The body takes 6 weeks to fully repair itself apparently!
  • Posted

Hi Gemma, vitamin B12 deficiency is incredibly common in chronic inflammation. Now this happens very slowly over time so at first you won't associate the arthritis with the B12 deficiency. Now it depends upon your genetic background but if you are riboflavin deficient (due to diet or hypothyroidism) or have the MTRR +/+ mutation you won't be able to properly process CN-B12, which is the common injectable form in the UK. You need to supplement with Ado/Me B12 mix (the normal form of the vitamins). 80 is incredibly low. You should be over 400.
  • Posted

Hi Gemma

It might take another couple of weeks to kick in, and even then, you may need more B12 or a different formulation to get a good result.

Interesting you mention an upset stomach. This is not the first time a forum member has mentioned this.

Are you also taking iron tablets? They upset lots of patients, too.

Cheers

• Posted

Hi Gemma,

I had my loading doses back at the beginning of March, and I'm still struggling with neurological symptoms. (pins and needles, aches & pains, stiffness, tiredness). I think from reading things on other forums we need to be kinder to ourselves, and not expect to be able to do as much as we used to. The other issue is blood testing for B12. It is apparently difficult to be sure how much is actually going to be "active" in our systems. It sounds from your initial test your levels had got very low indeed, so it will take some time for them to pick up. It's always worth seeing if you can get more frequent injections than the three monthly ones. Digestive problems are common with low B12. Suggest you get a copy of Pernicious Anaemia the Forgotten Disease by Martyn Hooper, it covers a lot of the different issues with low B12. Best wishes MariLiz

• Posted

Hi Gemma I was dionosed nearly 2 years ago and during my loading dose I had several times when I needed the loo straight away thankfull it happened at night , but since I have noticed that towards the end of my medication I get urgency again so may be connected to low b12 I am going to see aheotoligist as my GP will only stick to the guidelines of 3 monthly jabs and I am finished by 6 weeks , I have also bought a supply from Spain which I will be supplementing what they give me starting 6 weeks after my next one in November mean while I take sublingual liquid b12 but I can't say I have noticed it helps any way it seams every one has different needs I hope all goes well for you and you have an enlightened GP .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.