Just found out I have fibroids... all types of emotions

Posted , 4 users are following.

I started cramping on Aug 22nd, after unprotected sex on the 18th. I also started bleeding, non heavy for 2 days. I still had horrible cramping for 21 days, the doctor's results were all negative. It took going to the ER to find out that I had a cyst on an ovary and multiple fibroids in my uterus. I have yet to have my period for the month of September, it stopped. I go to the obgyn this upcoming Wednesday. Im scared out of mind, and found out from my older sister that it runs on my paternal grandmother side. She actually had a hysterectomy a few years back, but she already has kids and I have none. Yes, I don't want kids. I'm 36, and know my timeline for them is dwindling. I'd be crushed if I was to be told that I'm infertile. I feel less of a woman at this point.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You do not have to have a hysterectomy for fibroids That may well be the first thing a doctor tells you but they only say that because they want the easy way out. there is myomectomy, which removes the fibroids and saves the uterus. there is meds you can take shrink them , If your OB tells you Hysterectomy find another doctor for a second or third or forth opinion.
  • Posted

I agree with Julie. Also find out as much as you can about your family history.

• Posted

Hi there , I seen your post and wanted to let you know that I also had problems with Fibroids and also a cyst on my ovaries as well .

I bled almost 6 weeks straight from it, until they put me on a medication that I took for 3 months straight . Within 4 days of starting the medication the bleeding stopped shrunk the fibroids and I haven’t had any unusual bleeding since then so it worked it seems. The medication is called fibristal and it was a miracle for me . 

Fibroids are a common thing in woman they don’t usually cause a issue unless their to big and then if they are , the doctor can remove them , or put you on medication like he did me , So I wouldn’t get a hysterectomy if I were you . Check all your options out first .

Hugs from Canada and best wishes on it all .

• Posted

I'm not getting a hysterectomy, my sister had one for her fibroids. She bled heavily even as a teen and it got worse a few years ago, by the time she found out she was rushed into emergency surgery a week later. She was losing so much blood that she was passing out, so that's when she found out. I don't bleed heavily. I changed my diet up, and it seemsto be working for pain management so far. Not so painful, and I'm not eating most of the things I love like spicy foods and pizza. Not drinking alcohol anymore.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.