Just found out I'm bipolar 2, what's the best medicine combo?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm currently on wellbutrin and topamax

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Therapy options are best considered too, studies show all forms of bipolar respond very well to therapy
  • Posted

It seems that with the therapy session it's ripped opened old scars and it's getting harder to control the disorder
    • Posted

That's how it's meant to go, the fact the old scars are opened shows they never healed properly in the first place. Therapy is meant to be painful I'm afraid, that shows its working
  • Posted

There is no universal "best" drug therapy for for treating bipolar, or for virtually any other medical condition.  We are all different and unique bags of chemicals, and what works very well for one person may not work at all for another.  This is also true for side effects. 

To arrive at your "best" drug regimen you'll have to go through good old fashioned trial and error.  Be patient with that process, because your doctor will most likely start out with sub-therapeutic doses and gradually increase so it will be take a while with each drug to see if it is right for you. 

Lastly, I'm not familiar with Topamax, as it was never prescribed to me, but an internet search shows that it is a last choice drug prescribed to bipolar patients who are resistant to the normal suite of bipolar drugs.  Based on this, I am surprised you were prescribed Topamax right out of the chute.

Good luck with finding what's best for you.  And remember to be patient

• Posted

I think medication is very individual - my best suggestion, based on my experience is to have or find a good psychiatrist for medication. PDrs. have a great deal of knowledge and like a good cook can tweak this med and that.

I have been on lithium (900mg) since I was diagnosed 8 years ago.

In addition to the lithium I have Cipralex (20mg) , Seraquel XR -150 mg. and Clonzapam (for anxiety disorder).  Seems like alot of pills to me, but it's working well.  Everyone is different.

• Posted

How do you like the wellbutrin? I tried it for a few days and it seemed to make me a zombie?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.