Just got a can boot and it hurts when I try putting wheight it hurts

Posted , 5 users are following.

I broke my ankle and had two surgery on it, and after 6 weeks in a cast my doctor said I can walk in a cam boot, but even with one crutch my ankle really hurts when I put any weight on my leg, any tips for how to get it not to hurt or how to walk properly, it’s my first day trying to walk

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi after six weeks I wasn't given a boot and told to put as much weight as I could bare through it. I needed to use two crutches for the first 2-3 weeks on occasions using one. It's now been 10 weeks and at home I use one mainly sometimes I can go without but I walk much worse without. 

If I need to walk further I still use two 

• Posted

Hi there!

Walking at first is very, very painful. I had surgery on 12/13/17 and due to the nature of my injury was no weight bearing until 3/9/18. Walking at first in the boot was very painful. Walking in shoes after that was painful too, thought much less awkward/uncomfortable. I was told all the pain is normal, and once those soft tissues and bones get used to weight bearing and movement again the pain will lessen. As of today I was able to walk to class across campus unaided (albeit with a slight limp). It does get less painful over time, but the beginning weeks/month is quite painful. What helped me was understanding that the pain (at this point) was more like growing pains. We aren't broken any more and we're not breaking anything while walking, even if it hurts. We just have to grow into our new ankles lol. 

• Posted

Very well put Coll, I am about 2 weeks behind you and just at the stage where I am at last starting to walk a little without the crutches.

i do have a pretty bad limp but I am putting that down to pain in my knee rather than my ankle, hopefully that will go away quite soon and I can put more effort into walking.

Dmitri, the pain will subside as the days and weeks go by and the more you use it.

• Posted

Try not putting 100% weight,start at 35-50% and work up as tolerated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.