Just got a diagnosis!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was referred by my GP to a neurologist as I have had a couple of falls and my balance has been Very poor since I was diagnosed with a viral illness causing dizzy spells. I saw the neurologist nd explained I also had lots of headaches, she ordered an MRI and it showed multilevel spondylitis degenerative changes at the cervical spine level. I don't see her again for 4 months and am not sure whatThis will mean for the future. I work as a midwife and are finding the shift patterns hard going but I only have 5 years before I can retire and I don't want to stuff up my pension! Is there anything I can do to make the balance issues and headaches better?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

have you thought about tablets that you take for vertigo. my GP has prescribed them for me because my dizziness came on worse when i had facet joint injections(well thats what he thinks) had dizziness before but they seem to be not to bad!(still there) and as for headaches i find heat helps i have a couple of microwavable soft toys granddaughter loves them and when she is tired i just pop them in and heat them up. if you could just have ten mins and put them on your neck and close your eyes it might help! could you not self medicate? i use anadine liquitab might get rid of it or might just ease. it does not move mine but i have other health issues.but it might do you some good i hope these are a litlle bit of help to you.   smile rolleyes
  • Posted

Hi Sue

i am also a midwife who has had to retire early due to cervical neuropathy caused by a fall.

i don't think there really is any solution, I have had a cervical epidural which did help.

i am wondering if the condition we have is due to repetitive strain injury?

i know several colleagues who are suffering from cervical pain, especially on the right hand side.

why don't you contact occupational health, you can usually get physio free, also your occ health doctor & HR could support you to get early retirement on ill health 

you could contact your union.

wishing you luck xx

• Posted

Thanks for the reply unfortunately in the current climate the nhs are not early retiring staff on I'll health just getting rid of them so i need to keep going a bit longer! I'm hoping I get answers from my GP when I speak to him or I will have to wait a few months for the neurologist for some answers but I'm keeling my fingers crossed I stay like this for a while because I can manage just about!!! Fingers crossed!!!!
  • Posted

Hi sue

i meant to say left side

• Posted

i was told by my consultant that there is no solution it is trial and error for the individual to take pain killers.i have had pain since i was 10yrs old it was just after that when they said i had cs so i have had it since i was 10

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.