Just got diagnosed with herpes and don't know how to feel

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi i'm a 21 year old girl and i just got diagnosed with herpes today and I'm not sure how to react at all.

I feel like a disappointment to myself and my parents for being so silly and irresponsible to get this and it was the first and only time i've had unprotected sex and it's f*cked me up for the rest of my life and while it could literally happen to anyone and it's in the past and there's literally nothing you can do once you get it, it doesn't really help me not be annoyed at myself.

And then I feel like once i get it to heal up and eat healthily and do everything in my power to keep it away, I could learn to accept that all it is is a skin condition that just happens to be in a inconvenient place as I've had eczema my whole life aswell that comes and goes and when I consider it in the same way as that I think i could accept it a lot more. 

and i'm also paranoid that now i've managed to get this what if i have HIV or some other thing too and while its heaps less common part of me is like there is absolutely no reason why i couldn't have it and what if because of one stupid mistake I end up with two horrible diseases and never finding anyone who wants to be with me 

And then I worry that even if I manage to accept having it myself, what if others can't and think i'm gross and diseased and a slut and I end up alone and never have any relationships ever again even though i do realise that just cause you have this thing it doesn't change your personality or who you are or even if i do have a relationship again what if the guy uses that against me like oh no one else would stay with you cause you're diseased you're lucky to have me 

I just feel like I understand what it means but I can't fully accept it and i have lots of mixed feelings and don't really know how to process them

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi erin , im 23 and have just been told i have herpes , i got it off my boyfriend and i got into the relationship knowing he had it .So there certainly is people who it wont scare away .Also i think men have it easier when it comes to genital herpes , they dont suffer so much .My boyfriend only gets one bump say and i can be covered .Trust me , there will be guys who wont be scared away .Just explain to them it is just like having cold sores down there
    • Posted

Hey there, thats reassuring to know that there are people who aren't scared off by it smile i got the phone call from the nurse today to say which kind i have and i have HSV 1 which is a slight silver lining but i think i just read that if you already have HSV 1 orally you're really unlikely to get it genitally because the virus has already like set itself up to break out on your lips and obviously like so so many people have it orally so i'm hoping that means I'll actually be okay for finding someone which is slightly reassuring haha

• Posted

Hello there please read this. Im new to this forum, I'm 23 and am literally going through the same exact thing as you. I feel completely the same but I went through a recent down word spiral not being able to accept this and I still cant but it has gotten so bad for me that I have nothing else to do. I had only been with one girl for 7 years, we married and moved and cross the country together but then one day she had a sudden change of heart and left me put of the blue. I thought the hat was the worst the hating that ever happened to me but surprisingly I pushed on. I wasn't looking for a relationship or to meet anyone because I didn't really feel capable of having feelings for someone but then I meet this girl. I've never felt this way about anyone in my life or anything before this was unmistakably true love and I had thought my wife left me for a reason. I spent the of the best nights of my life with and everyone knew us being together was inevitable but turns out she had an ass hole of a boyfriend that didn't treat her right. She obviously picked him over me even though many times she spent the night with me in my bed and told me how much she wanted to leave him. She obviously chose him over me and eventually ignored my complete existence. I am not a man to have feelings like this but I couldn't get over her. Day after day I longed to see and talk to her and day after day it tore m apart more and more.

I've never felt so depressed and alone in my life, as cliche as it sounds I dreamt of her often which only made things worse. So I began my plunge into a downward spiral which lead me to a dumb one night stand which you know what cane of it. I thought I was alone before , the sick joke about all of this is she broke up with him and came to see me one night we late together and only cuddled but tlas standeeoon abouts morning came around abouts I showed up at work where we both were employed she was back with hI'm abouts mind completely ignored me once more. I was standeeoon uch of aboutsmdndll this I had no one to blame but.myself aND I was I would be alone for the rest of my life. So I try ed to kill myself obviously failing. Most people wake up with regret but the only thing I regretted was failing at my measly attempylt. I am a very talented gentlemen and although I don't care if I waste those talents an urge rose up inside of me I told myself I will atleast try to use my talents to get me out of my shifty broken down life and to stop focusing on finding someone and maybe I'll get lucky one day. I still very much want to do myself in everyday but after I dI'd some research I've found that many people suffer the same fate as me and some are cruelly then mine. So here I am taking the first step in trying to get passed this. I can't tell you if it's gonna work out but at least I can tell you your not alone and if you ever need to talk there are many people looking for the same thing and you should keep trying.

• Posted

Wow that sounds like a lot to take in and hopefully you're dealing with it a bit better now, it always helps to write everything down or to speak to someone about it sad

I've always thought its important to be able to be on yourself and not to rely on other people for happiness because at the end of the day the only person who is always going to be with you is yourself so maybe try and find something you like doing and spend time with people who make you happy instead of being sad about all the things that have gone wrong smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.