Just got my abalation done and I feel so much better!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I just wanted to share my experiences about SVT. I have dealt with SVT for a few years now. I didn't know what it was at first when I first experienced the fast heart beat, so I didn't think anything of it. I would just try to rest or if it was cold outside during the time I would be experiencing an episode I would go outside. It seemed like that always helped. So fast forwarding to this year... I was laying down in bed and changed positions to another side and boom... my heart started beating out of control. I sat up and tried to calm myself down. Nothing worked. Over 30 minutes had passed and my heart was still beating erratically. I had started feeling light headed and out of breath. So my partner rushed me to the ER. That's when I had been diagnosed with SVT. I never knew anything about this until just a few months ago. So I did some research and found that it was not life threatening and since I had experienced it before and was able to control it (except for the first time I went to the ER ) I decided to just do nothing about it. Well, two weeks later another SVT attack happened and it was the same experience. I couldn't get it to stop. Another trip to the ER was needed and I got the dose of adenosine again. My heart rate was up to 235 that time. Normally it gets up to about 200 to 210. Then a month later another SVT attack. I had no idea why it was happening so frequently now. So that's when I decided to go see an electrophysiologist. He explained to me about the different options I had. One was to do nothing, two was to take meds, three was the ablation. Well I had already tried doing nothing and that was not working and I am only 31 and currently do not take medication on a daily basis and I didn't want to start..so that wasn't an option either. So I chose the abalation. I was so scared because it's your heart. It's just a scary thought having to worry about someone going that close to it. So anyway he scheduled me for the ablation about three weeks after my appointment. The procedure to me was unpleasant. I was wide awake and felt everything. The sedative wasn't strong at all. I felt the doctor start my SVT and that seemed to last forever but then he stopped it and told me he was now going to ablate it. He then sent another signal to trigger my heart to beat fast again but it didn't start another SVT episode. I was told he got rid of it on the first go. Apparently I had been born with an extra "electrical cord" that has been sending mixed signals that causes these extra fast beats. The procedure for me took about 2.5 hours. Then I was sent to recovery to lay flat for about 4 hours and sent home right after. I felt some chest discomfort and leg soreness after the procedure but that's about it. Here I am day two and the only thing sore is my leg. No palpitations! I used to encounter those through out the day but none so far. I know it's only been a day later since the ablation but I can already feel a huge difference. I don't notice my heart beating, and I don't feel any extra beats. I would advise those that haven't had the ablation to do it. I feel brand new, I swear. I know only time will tell, but I can already feel a change. 

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

SVT can be debilitating. I had it for about 5 years off and on and didn't know what it was either. I was sent to a cardiologist and he thought it was heat, the weight loss med i had been on, etc. All my other tests for heart disease or heart attack had come back negative. He finally sent me to an electriophysiologist and then I was diagnosed with SVT. I had the ablation last October and it fixed it. At that time, he found 4 other abnormal rythms and now I have to take medicaton for that as He is not ever going to be able to fix all of them. I do, however, have my confidence back to drrving again. When it was so bad and I was having SVT in the car while driving and having to pull over because I thought I was going to pass out and had to call an ambulance to come and get me. By the time I got to the ER it had resolved and the doctor diagnosed me with dehydration. I knew that couldnt be right, because I had been drinking a lot of water that day.

I didn't drive for a few months as I didn't want to take the chance that I would have a wreck and kill someone or myself. I have even had SVT just sitting on the sofa doing nothing. It comes on suddenly and leaves just as suddenly as it came. I am 68 and have always been very active. I think an ablation was good for me as it did get rid of one of my abnormal rythms.

• Posted

Yes it can very debilitating. I'm sorry to hear you are still having to take medication for your other abnormal rhythms. Svt does come out of nowhere and that's what's so scary. I have heard of other people getting ablation done twice, is that an option for you?  

• Posted

Yes, if the rhythmol stops working, then he said he could do an ablation for atrial tachycardia. It took me 3 months to recuperate from the ablation. Had some shortness of breath and felt very tired. Did not exercise during that time. That was all normal from the ablation. 
  • Posted

Hope it works out as well for you as it has for me Marie, 5 years SVT and meds free and counting!
    • Posted

That's so awesome! I love hearing positive news from others that have received the ablation as well. I was so scared to have the procedure done but I can already tell a difference. A good difference ! Hopefully it continues 😊

• Posted

I'm still deciding if I should have the ablation. I was diagnosed with SVT about 5 years ago. I only had 1-2 SVT episodes per year, but 2 years ago I start having one every month. I was able to manage it at home by relaxing and splashing my face with cold water. There was one time though that I couldn't get my heart rate down for over 2 hours. It was a constant 160 bpm. Finally, it just went back to normal. I was so exhausted after that episode. I was tired of having these episodes so I reluctantly followed my doctor's advice to take meds. I was so scared of the side effect, that is why I was reluctant to take any meds. Now, I take flecainide twice a day and digoxin one per day. It's been working fine. I'm still deciding if I should get the ablation because the meds have been working.  I am 52 years old.

• Posted

If your meds are working fine and you don't have side effects and you're comfortable with taking the prescriptions every day then I guess that should be ok. It's just me personally, I really didn't want to have to take a medication for the rest of my life if I had another option to get rid of it. That's why I chose ablation. Even if I had to go through the ablation again, I would. Hopefully I don't encounter any more problems and my EP said he was very pleased with my procedure and confident I won't have the problem anymore. If you want a chance to get rid of those pills then I say give the ablation a try. 

• Posted

Congratulations, Marie, and thanks for such an encouraging report.  I know your words will help many of us as we deal with our SVT.  I'm a month away from an ablation, and I'm also not nearly as aware of my heart beat as before.  I, too, am enjoying that experience. I hope we both continue to do well.  Take care. 

• Posted

That's brilliant news Gene! I didn't know you had the ablation done. I really hope it works out very well for you - you deserve it after all the positive and sensible things you have written here over the years. Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks! And I hope you continue to have good days as well. 😊

• Posted

Wow, Ciaran, you made my day with such kind comments!  Thanks so much for being so considerate.  Take care.
  • Posted

Congratulations, Marie, my daughter had a very similar experience to yours and her ablation was also successful. It's nice to read these positive experiences and I hope you continue to feel 'brand new'. 

My daughter's electrical abnormality was very very close to her AV Node, but the doctor induced the arrhythmia twice and ablated the region carefully. After that, he could not induce it anymore and she has been fine since August 2016.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.