Just got my dentures two days ago but I am having problems

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi please help, I had my dentures fitted the other day, but I am having some really bad problems, it is cutting in to the lingual frenulum, and the oral vestibule. At the buttom of my mouth, to the point that it has made me bleed. It is very painful, to top it off I can't chew, at all, the gum they have made me at the back teeth on the inside are nearly covered the whole of the teeth, I know it will take me time to get used to them, but when I take them out, it takes me around 15mins to get rid of all the left over polygrip in my mouth it is really gross, it makes me feel sick. My food goes cold before I can eat it all, which is really depressing, I had just got my eating back on track, as I suffer from a eating disorder. Any help is welcome please, I am very upset, I was hoping to get my life back, but I just feel like it gone down the toilet, and I have gone through hell for nothing.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Best to make appt go back to get the fit better adjusted. It takes time sometimes to adjust the fit and get used to wearing dentures.

• Posted

My dental clearance has been very traumatic. I've been without teeth since October. I'm now at the point where I can get dentures. Since everything else has gone wrong I'm dreading the next stage. Please keep your post and add to it with the solutions that worked best for you. I can learn.

I'm sorry you are having such problems. We think that they will be an easy stage to manage.

• Posted

I have never had dentures nor do I have any expense with them. But my brother in law is having a lot of problems with his too. This must be a regular issue with getting dentures. I would defiantly head back to your dentist and get them adjusted.
  • Posted

Rosie, bottom dentures always take a lot of adjustment and are harder to get used to. I've had a top partial for more than 60 years so am completely used to the feeling of something in my mouth. However, each time the denture has to be replaced I still go through a difficult few weeks.

However, if the denture is cutting into your mouth and making it bleed it needs adjusting. You need to get back to your dentist asap.

• Posted

My dental surgeon said that people find the lower denture hardest to get used to and keep in. He has put 2 implants in the lower jaw to attach the denture to them. Unfortunately 1 of 

the implants need replacing due to lack oF bone. Will this nightmare ever end?

• Posted

So sorry to hear you're going through all this, Floss. Yes, lower dentures will always be the hardest to cope with, as it's the lower jaw that does all the work when we chew.

I admit that's my greatest fear. Having coped with a one-tooth upper denture since the age of 12, having to add another tooth to that (which I think I'm going to have to do) doesn't scare me. Upper dentures are a walk in the park once you get used to them. But I've now lost two lower molars, and if I lose any more I'll start having problems chewing. My body probably wouldn't accept implants either as I have an auto-immune condition.

I hope both you and Rosie can soon find a solution.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.