Just got out of rehab in Leicester........

Posted , 5 users are following.

Great councillors, but the set up was bad. You had to live in a house on a sh*tty street in the badlands of Leicester. Students next door both sides openly drinking( which is what students are supposed to do) . I only really wanted a detox but had the fear of God (as you understand him, lol) put into you. Full blown AA 12 step program, thank f**k I was only there 2 weeks 😃

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Yeah, been there, done that. Been to 4 rehabs. First one priory in Notts( tho closed down now) funded by parents. 2nd and 3rd stayed only 2 days as sounds like what you've been to. 4th very good funded by NHS. Some are dier!!!!
    • Posted

what a journey and are you all fine now in life? Sounds like you have been through a lot            smile
  • Posted

The most important thing though, I hope you've taken your experience as a positive and you're not drinking again..
    • Posted

Thanks for the replies. I've been twice to Kingston upon Thames where it was a good place, I got over 2 years clean time under my belt before I hit self destruct. During my clean time I never once went to AA, but at Leicester, they insisted that you attend 5 meetings a week! To be honest, I hated them, I can't understand what people take away from the meetings ? All I heard was doom and gloom and a lot of BS. I'm sure half of the people go are crack pots & probably have never had a problem with either drink or drugs? ......
    • Posted

Oh, and yeah, no drink for me. no obsessing nor craving.
  • Posted

Historically, AA was instilled in the 1930's and unfortunatly haven't kept up with life skills as they pertain to today's world. The 12 step program is to invoke fear..

The last location I went to, was in an older neibourhood that now has drug dealers and many bars - so, time for them to move away. 30 days of temptation and I was forced to go by my employer.

I am retired now, so won't miss it one bit.

• Posted

AA may be good for some and not good for others. I prefer medical data & facts to decide on most things. I didn't enjoy 2 weeks of what I'd describe as attempted brain washing😜 luckily I decided to do some research on both sides of the coin & not to my surprise, AA came off the loser. Unaccountability, hypocrisy were the two main offenders. im not anti AA, it works for some, but statistically you'll get the same results as AA boast by doing nothing at all. 👍
    • Posted

Sir, you clearly have not worked a 12 step program because if you had, temptation would not prompt you to move...I personally have worked the AA 12step program and "triggers..." are a joke to me. I do not want to drink, nor do I have the thought of drinking in my mind. I implore you to find a new program and hopefully the spiritual experience will be enough for you.

• Posted

AA works if you believe in a higher power and you like to talk about yourself. I believe in my God but I don't like talking to a massive group of people?
  • Posted

Hey buddy, I know this comes to you at a trivial time in your life but please listen to me. It sounds like you have been in "rehab" or "detox" whatever you would like to call it. I was once at your stage of development but I found the true AA. You may think AA is some place for pussies to share their feelings and what not but trust me it's not. That's what I thought in the beginning and I said, "to hell with this, I'm out."

I ended up finding a sponsor and everything changed. He showed me how to live life again...I had forgotten how to live life without alcohol...and i ended up having fun...I thought fun was for the hippies that had no jobs but i was wrong. I found fun in my job and I moved up in the workplace and so have many of my friends in AA. It's a wonderful program if you do it the right way. I just hope this reaches you in time..

• Posted

Rehabs are a massive joke. I have been to many of them and they give you a lot of good information but if you are truly and alcoholic/drug addict it will do you no good. It may be some good "sober time" but that's it. For the most part they say they can "cure" you...it's bulls*** trust me, I've been there. The AA program is the only way to stay sober. Please trust me it is your only hope.

• Posted

Sorry Tom, I don't like the statement 'it's my only hope' . Read the orange papers (Google) then get back to me.......1930's rhetoric 85 years on....give me a break....cheers😜😜😜
    • Posted

HI Tom. I stopped 2 1/2 yrs ago and have never been to AA. There are other ways of stopping.  I had truly hit rock bottom and had everything to loose: children, wife etc etc and stopped overnight without medication. HOwever, not everybody can do that and I had not cravings and very little cold sweat and probably a less severe case than some I read about here. Anyway, glad that you like and trust the AA and I hope that you are on the right path.   smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.