Just got prescription for Mirtazapine

Posted , 5 users are following.

seeing some stories on here reluctant to start, has anyone had any success with this or do you all say stay clear?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Edited

Hi.

I started mirtazipine in January after being unsuccessful on citalopram, fluoextine, sertraline. Worked great for helping my anxiety, except I've put on over 4 stone since starting. I feel a mess. Yet too scared of a relapse of anxiety etc if I stop taking them

• Edited

Hi Emily .If I had known how i would suffer such awful withdrawals I would never have gone on them.Yes they worked well for me while I was on them but Ive been off now for 7mnths and still suffering .Of course the descision is yours but hope this helps.

• Edited

Hi Emily - there are always lots and lots of scare stories on forums. These are of course real to the individual but what you don't find is a balanced view, as those people with positive stories are usually not posting about it on forums!! I've been taking Mirt for just over a year and had a very positive experience with it. That's not to say it doesn't have crappy side effects, because it does. But those for me have been totally worth dealing with. I suffer from acute and severe episodes of insomnia and anxiety and no other drug (sleeping pill, SSRI anti depressants) work for it. Mirtazapine is the only thing that eventually worked for me in making me sleep and it's not an exaggeration to say it saved my life. Like all antidepressants it does have some pretty rubbish start up side effects - be prepared to feel like a zombie for a good two or three weeks - but those do pass. The weight gain is unfortunately real - it isn't just about how much you eat, it changes the way your metabolism works. It's the worst side effect of this drug and I'm convinced if someone could find a way to have Mirt without that aspect it would be super popular!

Everyone has their own experience and no one can say how something will work for you. xx

• Edited

Hi Emily .Gillian is right .It affects people differently.I did not have the weight problem and as I said they worked well for me when I was on them. There are people who do not suffer withdrawal symptoms ( I wish I was one of them) but I think more do. I hope whatever you decide you get along okay Wishing you well.

• Posted

As you say just lucky.I am having a real bad time of it with the withdrawal .I have nausea stomache cramps fatigue and now started with headaches ,lack of appetite and no enthusiasm.Im tempted to go back on a small dosage of mirt just so I can function My dr is going to have a chat about it this coming week .I dont want to but if needs must.Ive suffered for 7mnths and I have had enough.Hope you are doing ok It is good to know one is not alone.

• Edited

thank you everyone. after the worst night of my life with 2 intense panic attacks, no more than 25 hours sleep in the last week i have no choice really but to take this. im not living now, so need to try something.

Hoping its not a hideous experience but not much canbe worse than this.

Anxiety and insomnia are hideous to live with

• Edited

Hi Emily, I'm wondering how you're doing...how has Mirtazapine been working for you?

• Posted

Hello. ive had days that have been close to hell, but sometimes feel less anxious. my biggest problem by far at the moment is actually constipation. so weight gain isnt happening, if anything im missing meals. increased dose to 22.5 to try to curb my evening panic sessions. so currently enduring another rough ride with zombie feeling. on my good days though i do have a lot more energy. just my stomach has at least one daily bout of crippling cramps. giving it a bit more time though. im told the settling in is the worst part, and should improve. overall right now, i am pretty depressed with progress

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.