Just had a colonoscopy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I too have just had a colonoscopy today. The whole procedure is absolutely awful, from the bowel prep to the actual procedure. "You will feel a little discomfort!!!" Anything but, it was the worst excruciating pain I have ever experienced. The sedation and analgesia was given whilst on the table and the procedure started immediately. I had in formed them I have a high resistence to analgesia and sedation as previous op I was given more sedation as I counted beyond 20 on the first dose before I started to feel sleepy. Yet despite informing them of this I got the standard dose despite my size and resistence. They might as well given me nothing. I heard and felt everything, as it got to the transverse colon they had to stop. My colon had gone into spasm. I was offered a barium enema I will consider. Fortunately what he could see was perfectly normal and he feels my symptoms are IBS rather anything more sinister. If symptoms deteriorate I am going to insist on being treated as a human being and not an animal. People be warned for some it is not a breeze and a little uncomfortable it is absolute torture. I was ready to leave immediately following the procedure so much for the effects of the sedation and analgesia!!!!

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I agree, I was in terrible pain.i wasn't screaming but very close to it, I swear I had no sedation, 27 times going to the loo with the prep and even going right up to going to hospital and when I came home.immodium won that night as I was so sore. A dreadful experience all round .
    • Posted

Hope that your result was good and that you don't need another one.
  • Posted

Hi Derek, results were diverticulosis, colitis, multiple ulcers. Crohns? Took  multiple biopsies . I was told that I would be seen in clinic for results. And from the report they gave me I will certainly have one at least every year. Not sure I could face it again although I know I would have to. I started my prep at 9am Tuesday morning.was still going to the loo at midnight,then respite till 7 am and then again till 11.45. It was awful . I was kept waiting in a dressing room for two hours,last one yo go in and boy did I moan aloud. I'm quite good with pain but this was something else. 
    • Posted

Sorry to hear that your results were not good. Presumably you were already aware of most of what they found.

I was about the same with my prep but still going at 2am. It was not as bad a previous ones with X-Prep. Like you I was over two hours late in having the procedure and by then was quite dehydrated as when I woke up late in the morning it was too late to drink anything.

My procedure was pretty good as I only swore three times and I did not feel very sedated.

Next time you could ask for a virtual colonoscopy (CT Scan) They still need to pump air into you. Problem there is it does not let them do any bipsies. 

• Posted

Good morning Derek, I was told in a letter two weeks earlier that the barium follow through results showed nothing for concern, when I went for the colonoscopy the doc said I didn't need to be there as the barium result didn't show anything to worry about,he said both letters must have got mixed up in the system,he said as you have done the prep you might as well have it done and I think it's a good job I did as it showed up all these things, and even though it was an awful I know it needed to be done. It says on my report will most probably be needed every year,something I will dread I know. I will know more when I go back to clinic for the results of my biopsies.
    • Posted

It is shocking that letters can get mixed up. You GP should kick up a stink about that. Presumably whoever got your results will have been called for more tests.
  • Posted

I intend to discuss it when I go back to the clinic for biopsy results . No doubt I wil be fobbed off.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.