Just had a d d flare up and feel awful.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I am new to this forum, but have been reading others experiences of this horrible condition. I was diagnosed with diverticular disease in august, having been admitted to hospital following infection. I didn't know what was going on with myself. I had been to the doctors who thought it might be a uti. He had seen me back in march with the same symptoms. Trimethoprim seemed to help but I never felt fully well. Got home from the doctors in august and spent the weekend unable to get off the floor, felt so fluey and had been sick. Anyway, back to now. This time I still felt generally unwell but with a lot more chronic back and lower abdomen pain. I am so worried as when I was admitted to hospital I didn't realise how acutely unwell I was (I had a c.r.p. level of 320 in my blood test. I am so worried and anxious, because it sometimes feels as though my bowel is going to burst. I have a fear, perhaps an irrational one, of having a perforated bowel (like a lady on my ward did), or worse getting peritonitis. Am I being stupid? or could it just be that this horrible thing completely effects you mentally as well as physically.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It affects me mentally. The medicine makes me sick and it's hard to know what foods you can eat afterwards. I have been diagnosed before and felt this horrible abdominal pain before but this time was worse than last time. I have pain in my back as well and on my sides. I was in the hospital two days and I am generally miserable. Right now I'm trying to eat a few mashed potatoes because my stomach has been nauseated all day. The pain...the pain is really awful. I have horrible health anxiety.

• Posted

Hi Kim. Thanks for responding to me. I really feel for you. I am in bed now with a gel heat pack on my abdomen, seems to ease the pain a bit. I take paracetamol which doesn't always work. I also have rectal pain. My doctor has prescribed codeine for pain which can cause constipation, so I was prescribed lactilose as well, but I am worried about taking anything. I took bisocodyl got diaorreah and passed out. Even when I had to give myself an enima before my sygmoidoscopy I passed out. I feel exhausted.

• Posted

Yes this does definitely affect you mentally as well as physically.  I go almost insane with worry each time I get it.  I try to practice The Secret as I have found it helps tremendously with my arthritis.  Staying positive at DD flare ups is almost impossible but I still try.  Yoga and deep breathing also helps me through the pain.  Some may think this stuff is rubbish but it's like anything I suppose you have to believe for it to work. smile  Hope you get well very quickly.

• Posted

Thankyou for your kind words. I don't think yoga and deep breathing is rubbish as I have done it in the past. I have arthritis and fibromyalgia so I will give it another go. The surgical registrar told me diverticulitis is basically arthritis in the inside. Thanks again.

• Posted

Wow, that's interesting.  Arthritis on the inside?  I have an appt with Dr this afternoon.  I will ask about that ..... it would explain a lot.  Hope you get on with yoga ok.  Let me know. smile

• Posted

Whats brings these attacks on and how can we stop them from happening?
    • Posted

Hi Kim. Re. any allergies to laxatives, it is possible, but I pass out everytime I am sick or have diaorreah. I think it is probably either blood pressure dropping, but more likely to be my low pain threshold due to fybromyalgia. I really wish I new how to stop these attacks from happening, as I seem to cope with a bit of pain with painkillers, then "bang" everything seems to happen so fast. It really worries me.

• Posted

That’s ok Kim. I’m not going through any more than you are. How are you feeling? I hope I start to feel better soon. I feel so washed out. How long do your flare ups last?
    • Posted

I don't know how long it lasted the last time. I feel horrible I just threw up after eating some chicken noodle soup. I haven't been to work all week and I feel really sick. I'm really tired to but I tried to do dishes and laundry.

• Posted

Me too. Feel nauseous and got diarrhoea. I am really tired too but I am not a good sleeper. It sounds as though we are both suffering quite badly just now.  

This thing really is awful. I hope you manage to get some sleep and will start to feel better soon. I sometimes wonder if I will ever feel better. Perhaps I am too impatient.

• Posted

I have been sleeping at night ok. Not great but ok. It's during the day time when I force myself to drink and try and eat that i feel the horrible nausea, bloating, and pain. Laying down is better for me but I have acid reflux, Barrets esophagus and a hiatal hernia on top of this stuff. sad

• Posted

I have a hiatus hernia too and asthma. Restless leg syndrome stops me from sleeping though. What is Barrett’s oesophagus? I have never heard of that. It sounds unpleasant. The nausea is horrible I can really sympathise with you. So many people seem to have other problems on top of this awful thing, I have wondered if emotional and physical stress has brought a lot of it on.
    • Posted

Barrett's esophagus is a condition where the lining of the esophagus becomes like the inside of the intestines. It's caused by acid reflux. It can cause esophageal cancer. For now I don't have any signs of that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.