Just had a d d flare up and feel awful.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I am new to this forum, but have been reading others experiences of this horrible condition. I was diagnosed with diverticular disease in august, having been admitted to hospital following infection. I didn't know what was going on with myself. I had been to the doctors who thought it might be a uti. He had seen me back in march with the same symptoms. Trimethoprim seemed to help but I never felt fully well. Got home from the doctors in august and spent the weekend unable to get off the floor, felt so fluey and had been sick. Anyway, back to now. This time I still felt generally unwell but with a lot more chronic back and lower abdomen pain. I am so worried as when I was admitted to hospital I didn't realise how acutely unwell I was (I had a c.r.p. level of 320 in my blood test. I am so worried and anxious, because it sometimes feels as though my bowel is going to burst. I have a fear, perhaps an irrational one, of having a perforated bowel (like a lady on my ward did), or worse getting peritonitis. Am I being stupid? or could it just be that this horrible thing completely effects you mentally as well as physically.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Caroline, sorry to see that you're in such discomfort. Do you still have recurrent UTIs and do the doctors link this to diverticular disease? Have they given you a CT scan to confirm the diagnosis?

• Posted

I had a CT scan with contrast and I ended up getting cystitis. I was in the hospital two days and then released with 5 more days of antibiotics.
    • Posted

Hi Jon, thanks for your message. I do tend to get UTIs with diverticular disease but no mention of a link between the two. It is apparantly down to the fact that I am female and the way we are made up. So it is very common for females to get the two when having a flare. I had a CT scan when I was admitted in august which confirmed severe diverticulitis.
  • Posted

Caroline I have a history of uti's. Had one in September and didn't feel right after antibiotics finished. Like you, I became really ill very quickly in November. Constipated, agonising pain in abdomen, back pain. Diverticulitis diagnosed by ct scan. Hospital for 7 days . Felt really awful. Home on 2 nd  December.  I am still recovering. Still having a few issues but much better, and yes it does really stress you out. I'm still coming to terms with being so ill with it. I had no complications though, and I'm sure you won't either. a lady in my ward had a perforation and to be honest, she recovered really well. You have probably got uncomplicated diverticulitis like I had, and it does make you really ill, and it's a shock I know, but you will get better, keep us informed of your progress. 

• Posted

Thankyou Beth for your supportive words. Sigmoidoscopy confirmed mild and scattered diverticular. I also have fibromyalgia so it's possible that's why I have been passing out with the pain as well. Apparantly as a female uti's and diverticulitis often occur together. Thanks again.

• Posted

It would be nice to know what brings it on so we can stop it. I wonder if there is a point that antibiotics stop working to fight the infection. How do you know if it's an uncomplicated case?

• Posted

I think uncomplicated means no  perforation, abscess etc,. I could be wrong though. Yes it would be great to know what brings it on, because I really don't think they really know. I eat well, excercise, never constipated, etc. I am sick of it. 8 weeks down the track and I still have pain, especially in morning, and still don't feel 100%. Lucky I'm retired because I couldn't have worked when I came out of hospital. I felt so ill.

• Posted

Exactly! I've been off work all week. I get constipated St times and was constipated three days before I was hospitalized but before that I had diarrhea for days and most of the time for the last few months. I figured it was from my PPI.

• Posted

I'm seriously wondering if mine hasn't gone completely. I still have cramps pain before I go in the mornings, and a bit of f cramping in my lower abdomen all day. I don't know if this is normal recovery or not. Very frustrating. 

• Posted

I wonder too. My stomach is so tender and I feel so nauseous and it's like my abdomen wants to oush or something abd it's really uncomfortable. I have more acid reflux than normal and I just generally feel like crap.

• Posted

Regrettably this is a disease that takes a long time ie months sometimes before you feel more like your old self.  And sometimes like me, you just learn to live with the occasional niggle, and recognise it as just a bit if inflammation, not an infectious flare up.  Most days I am fine.  But yesterday I had an old fashioned tummy upset, not DD, although the symptoms ie shivers, cramps, runs, were the same.  Today I'm being careful with my diet.  It doesn't help that I currently have my leg in a brace, and am still very sore from my accident, so have been having microwave meals, not cooking properly from scratch.

• Posted

I hope you feel better soon and can go back to cooking.
  • Posted

Any time Caroline. It's a great support to have this forum . Hope you feel better soon. Let us know . 

• Posted

I havent been to work all week after getting out of the hospital Sunday with diverticulitis and cystitis. Does anyone else stay home several days while having a severe attack? I will be on antibiotics all week and those make me sick as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.