Just had a pelvis ultrasound....

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, 

I wonder if anybody could give me some info. A few months ago I was went to my doctors. my periods are so irregular, sometimes I won't have one for 50-70 days! My stomach feels bloated, I'm ALWAYS tired.  He sent me for a pelvic ultrasound and an internal one. I had the pelvic one today although she wasn't giving much away. She said there was a cyst on my right ovary and she didn't know about my left. She said she didn't know whether to do the internal and she decided not to. Why would this be? Did she already see everything on the pelvic one? Or was she not worried? Surely if there was nothing she would have said that's all fine couldn't find anything. Instead she said she will send all the pics to my doctors. She also asked to scan my kidneys at the end. Is this normal?! I'm so worried she's found something. Anybody else have something similar?

Thanks 😊

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

hey lisa

worrying but these things usually turn out to be fine... fingers crossed. techs dont like to give info as its not their place

ps. when i was young i could go up to 6 mos between periods and was often anaemic - not a lot of fun is it? wasnt tired then but as i got older i tend to be so

• Posted

Hi peachykeen

I know, I'm hoping it's nothing. I worry too much and read into things. Did they ever give u a reason for ur periods been so late and tiredness? 

• Posted

was last girl in my cohort to menstruate and have always tended to anaemia. after 6 years of being vegetarian while athlete it was worse than ever so i began eating meat again - apparently not enough  ):  . pre hashimoto was very lean. periods went crazy after childbirth - serious swings and hormonal roundabouts so overnight went from up to 6 months without to 2 full periods a month. cant believe i was upset at not having them, esp since doc was wrong and it doesnt mean one is infertile - got pregnant during a lengthy no period phase and have been 3x in spite of odds

the tiredness is lack of iron/ thyroid - without adequate iron levels thyroid supplements dont work. in the past 8 months have added 40 lbs of liquid to my lanky frame under various doctors belligerent eye, at this point my feet always ache and my knees have begun to hurt and its getting serious. years of stress and low iron made estrogen levels go mad - 18mm hyperplastic uterine lining, small fibroids everywhere, 5.5 and 7.5 cm cysts on one ovary & 2cm on other. the mirena got lining down to normal, almost eliminated periods (only spotting) so with supplements/ hyperbaric oxygen treatment iron levels went from 6-26, heart and lungs less panicked, altogether still inadequate but right direction. have never had decent treatment for anaemia, the attitude to womens health is as apalling as hollywood towards its wannabe stars. its vey serious tho, and if you have anaemia as a sideline to ovarian drama i advise you to push very hard to get it sorted - the heart and breathing bit is frightening and the clothes become uglier by the week

the thing about worrying is your body makes excess estrogen - which make all the wrong stuff happen which leads to even more crap. yoga, mindfulness - sounds dumb but works and is worth getting to grips with even if you just steal tiny moments throughout the day. in the end the chance its serious is minimal, if like julia l-d you happen to be todays 1 in 8 there isnt much satisfaction to be had so save the worry till then when you'll have a network to back you

• Posted

Hi, I don't know why she didn't do an internal but maybe she was able to see everything without the need for one. when I was scanned last week they checked my kidneys as sometimes an ovarian cyst can put pressure on the kidneys and result in a blockage or a renal cyst. I have a very large cyst in my right ovary and a small one on the kidney. My dr said that renal cysts are quite common and may resolve on its own. Don't panic because they didn't say anything, it doesn't necessarily mean something bad but they have to review the ultrasound and whoever referred you will contact you. My doctor called me the next morning, but I didn't sleep much that night. Hope it turns out ok for you.

• Posted

Hi veebeeb,

That makes me feel a lot better that they scanned ur kidneys too. Sorry to hear about ur cysts. It's really good though that your doctor contacted you the next day.  Do you think you will need surgery to remove them? Or will they just leave them hoping they will disappear? I'm guessing it maybe depends what kind they are? That's another thing, are they able to tell what kind they are on the ultrasound? 

• Posted

It will be surgery as it is very big and goes into the abdomen squashing the other organs. It seems to be fluid filled as it was just a large black patch in the ultrasound but I'm seeing consultant this week and ct the following week. Fluid appears black on an ultrasound, I'm not sure what solid looks like? 

• Posted

Hey Lisa,

I went to my Gynecologist in August because I suspected a Uti and while I was there I mentioned my distended belly and she took a look.. I wasn’t in any pain but she immediately asked me if I was pregnant??? I said no but still had to do a test. She ruled that out but she said she was worried about it ( as now I’m kinda freaking out) she does a Vaginal ultrasound right away like 5 min later. It showed a 13cm cyst😳😞.... She said to wait till October to see if it would shrink... I left there thinking this thing is NOT going to shrink but waited a few weeks. I finally called my gynecologist and they referred me to their oncologist they use ... My appt was last week and she said it will continue to get bigger. She doesn’t suspect it’s cancer but won’t know until they do surgery. I have it scheduled for November 6th.  I haven’t had to wait very long to get in my appointments and they have been pretty to the point... I know all Drs are different but ask questions... Write then down ...good luck 

• Posted

Hi Sarah, thank u for sharing ur story. So sorry to hear about ur huge cyst. I agree the doctor should not have said she was worried about it. That would make me freak out too. Especially when she says wait a few months too! I know I'm maybe over reacting but I just think if there was nothing on the ultrasound she would have said it's all clear but she didn't. U know when u just have a feeling  that something is not right, well that's how I'm feeling about it all really. il just have to wait for my results, It's the waiting that's the worst bit! 

• Posted

Well keep us posted on what they say
  • Posted

Hey Hun, what you need to do is ask questions. I had a cyst and my right ovary removed about 5years ago. Mine was ridiculously huge, it was 26cm across and weighed 5kilos. I'm healthy now, infact healthier than ever before. It's scary I know but you must ask questions and push for answers. Just so you know loosing an ovary won't affect your chances of conceiving either. Infact our bodies are so amazing that the remaining ovary is kind of double powered.... A super ovary! I was 35years old when mine was found. My hospital is North Middlesex Enfield and my Consultant is Miss Evans. She's highly respected in her field. She is amazing and got me through everything. Contact her and tell her that she was recommended by "BOB", that's her nickname for me. If your not happy with what your being told or don't think you're getting the treatment you need, ask someone else! 

If you need any help, info or advice just ask,

Dominique

• Posted

Thanks  for all the messages guys! I called my doctor last week after I didn't hear from them. Spoke to him this morning and he said the ultrasound showed small follicles on both my ovaries. I'm booked in to get my bloods done in a couple of weeks time so will just have to wait and see. He said he will test me for lots of diff things including hormones. He mentioned  PCOS also. But will need to wait for bloods to come back. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.