Just had a TURP operation. Need post operation advice

Posted , 19 users are following.

New to this forum. Wished I had joined months ago to take advantage of - what appears to be - all of the helpful advice (thanks).

I am 55 year old and told I am relatively young to be afflicted with an enlarged median lobe of my prostate that was restricting urine flow and emptying of my bladder. I had a TURP operation just over a week ago (9 days ago or 31st Oct). Although I suppose I have got through the operation OK - it was one of the most harrowing things that I have had to endure. I am now 9 days post op and still in some discomfort. If folks have any useful advice and/or tips for what may be round the corner and what I might expect with resect to recuperation, then they would be most welcome. EG., side effects, amount of activity I should be doing, what to do, what not to do, pelvic floor exercises? etc. Thanks, John.

1 like, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi John

I still have my catheter 1 month after the operation, hopefully it will be removed this week and all will be OK, ie I can urinate frequently with no pain or restriction and hopefully no more blood clot blockages of the urethra.Hence I can't give you any advise as you are ahead of me. All the very best. Peter

• Posted

Hi Peter, Hope everything is OK. Has the catheter been removed? Have things started to settle down?

Best wishes,

John

• Posted

Hi John

I had the catheter out 2 weeks ago and had a fow rate check, which was good, and a bladder scan and there was only 35 ml left, again good.

I still go very regularly at night about 5 times during the first week and the urine was gushing out, it has slowed down now and 3-4 times at night. I am going back monday to the hospital to have another flow rate check and bladder scan. Hopefully this will be OK. I have also been having 24 hr ECG check and to-day an echocardiogram at the hospital,due to the blackout that I had and chest pains since. I have also had a letter confirming that the biopsy on my prostate shows no cancer.All the very best Peter

• Posted

Nearly a week since my TURP, I thought I had got of light untill today I had wind after a meal which must have pressed against the prostate ( it was the wost pain ever )

gone to an ache now, ( taken pain killers ) going to have a hot bath,

does anyone know how long before I'll be pain free after the Turp ?( it seems to be coming back to life.

kind regards

Howard.

• Posted

3 months and I'm still in pain.  One week is way too early to heal. It will take weeks but pain will lessen. Good luck
    • Posted

Hi Howard,

I fear that I may be one of the lucky ones. I had discomforting 'deep' pain for 2 weeks after the TURP op and then 'razor blade-type' pain while peeing - felt like the Queen Mary was docked up there! Took my self off the paracetomol and co-codamol after 2 weeks and tolerated the pain and discomfort - the co-codamol in particular gave me constipation which is something I didn't want (pressure on prostate). I don't know why I have been particularly fortunate in my post-op recovery - could be just luck. However, I have drunk tons of water - 4-to-5 pints of water in addition to teas, fruit juices etc. per day; much the same as when I was self catheterising to prevent UTIs. I've also taken it very easy - been very lazy of late.

I do wish you the very best.

John

• Posted

Sounds absolutely awful. I wish you luck in your recovery.
    • Posted

9 days after TURP I had the worst night ever last night, blood strted off red but overnight the urin in the cath bag was the colour of very dark cola ( still intense pain in the prostate area that codien , ibuproen won't touch) could this be the scabs coming away or a UTI i've got due to the foley ?

kind regards

Howard.

• Posted

Hi Howard

I had a lot fo blood in the catheter after the operation and for at least 5 days and after the blackout I had and I was in A&E for 24 hrs and a couple of times the catheter blocked and I got out of bed and the urine forced itself outside the catheter tube on to the floor, I pressed the tube and cleared it of the blockage. Keep an eye out for this. With regards to the pain I did n't have great pains and Paracetamol 2*500 mg was enough to relieve the pain for a few weeks after the operation.When it is time to have the catheter out when the bag colour is clear of any pink colour and you have to urinate in a bottle  for 3 times make sure you look at the colour don't make the mistake I did of not looking at the colour in the bottle and I went home thinking everything was OK and 11 pm at night I could not urinate due to a blood clot in the urethra causing urine to be forced back up the bladder causing great discomfort and a blackout once falling on to the toilet tiled floor luckily no injuries.Also make sure you drink a lot of water. All the very best Peter

• Posted

Thank you Peter ( I've taken what you have said onboard ) I may have brought this discomfort on myself by driving, as I feel every bump in the road.

They said on my do's and don'ts paper that I was discharged with " as long as you can do an emergency stop and feel capable then it's ok to drive" I only drive to town ( 1 mile  away ).

kind regards

Howard.

• Posted

They usually advise you to take a stool softener after prostate procedures. They actualy gave me a bottle of Lactulose after my laser procedure.
    • Posted

I suffer from dumping syndrom due to a Pyloroplasty I had 40 years ago

I take codeine to counter act it ( so no problem getting constipated )

I just had blood in my wee tonight together with a scab. ( I thought they came away 10 - 14 days ) this is the 15th day, I'm hoping I'm not in for more as it's a strange feeling passing a scab the size of a thumb nail.

regards

Howard.

• Posted

I believe that you can pass blood up to six months after.
    • Posted

Yes they gave me seposatories a liquid laxative and sachets of MOVICOL whuch were very strong and soon after taking I had diarrhoea and stopped using it. Nearly 2 months after my TURP operation I do not appear to have blood in my urine, I urinate a lot , 2-3 times after midnight every 2-3 hrs or so but have constipation and take prune juice and prunes throughout the day with a lot of fruit and fibre.My main issue is intercourse as I do not appear to produce semen and orgasm seems strange. Regards Peter

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.