Just had a Urethral Dilation and I'm peeing tons of blood

Posted , 8 users are following.

Just had a cystoscopy and urethral dilation this morning (about 7 hours ago) and I was sent home without a cath. I sadly now have diarrhea and everytime I go use the batroom I end up pushing on my bladder to void it. I'm bleeding a lot, Im used to blood in the urine from my stricture but this seems like there's more blood that urine.

I called my doctor and she said once I'm voiding my bladder I should be in the clear but it seems like an unusual amount. After urinating I have to stay there bleeding out for a few minutes in an attempt to not get too much blood in my boxers or on the floor. 

Help!!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Is there any specific reason why they sent you home without a penile catheter? Surely the widening of your urethra would've needed a template to heal around... i.e. the cath.? 

• Posted

Nope. She asked me if I wanted one. Having previously had one after my uretharotomy a few years ago, I opted out. I thought that if they were giving me the choice that the symptoms would surely not be this bad. The bleeding seems to have slowed down a bit but it could be because I'm urinating every hour and its not having time to pool up. There's also quite a few blood clots in the urine, I'm afraid it'll stop my flow altogether. 

• Posted

Did you prep for this procedure by cutting out aspirin, fish oil and any other blood thinners for 7 days?  If not, you should have, and you need to avoid them until after you stop bleeding.  I'm really surprised about you're coming home with no catheter.

I'm curious, how old are you, how long have you had strictures, and what was the cause.  I ended up with a long stricture close to the external sphincter after GL laser procedure in March of last year.  It caused high level incontinence, and the stricture is so long and located where a repair would be difficult and risky. Because I don't have a patent urethra, I can't have an artificial sphincter installed so I may be stuck with living out my life in Depends or with a catheter.

• Posted

GLENN HAVE U CONSIDERED A SUPRA CATCHATER HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WORKS FOR ME U MAY WANT TO INVESTIGATE BOB J
    • Posted

I'm 27 years old and the problems really started 4 years ago. I had a urethrotomy in 2014 and it helped my issues for about 8 months or so but it came back. 

Update on my current situation. Its now almost 24 hours since I had the procedure and Im having to use the bathroom every hour, painfully. Often at the end of the urine stream there's quite a bit of blood or blood clots. Not to mention that the burning at the tip of the penis is incredibly painful. 

• Posted

I've thought about it.  The condom catheter is "OK", and it gets me through the day.  I like to walk, used to bike until the surgery disaster last year here in Greensboro.   The bag at the ankle is really easy to empty, but the condom catheter gets a little uncomfortable by the end of the day.  It's also a challenge to put on in the morning since you have to be "non flacid", and have to apply plenty of skin prep and let it dry first.  Very time consuming.

• Posted

One more thing:  Not being able to wear shorts and swim is a real loss for me.
  • Posted

At your young age, you need to find an expert who does urethroplasty surgeries.   If your latest procedure fails to give you a lasting solution to your stricture, do not go down that road again.  All the literature says that the more often you have such a procedure, the lower the chance that it will be successful.   If you're in the US, look to Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, the Cleveland Clinic, Johns Hopkins or the Center for Reconstructive Urology in Irvine CA.

I'm 78 1/2, and my stricture is so long and close to the sphincter that I'm not sure I want to go through the long recovery period (and long surgery).  If you have a short stricture that is not too fan in, the repair may not be that difficult.  Good luck.  Glenn

• Posted

Hi Glenn,  I just read your post on your condition. I am in a similar situation.  I have a stricture next to the bladder neck. My Uro says it is close to the sphincter and surgery is very risky and should be avoided. Am I correct that you are incontinent? I had TURP done in February 2017. 

I am 84 1/2 and currently am under dilation, and CIC three times a day. My only problem is I cannot urinate at night. I will CIC and go to bed and cannot urinate..  I go thru spasms and ooze a little until I can urinate. Sometimes spasms are so intense I CIC  before I can urinate. Any body out there have similar symptoms? 

• Posted

Yes, I have been fully incontinent since March of 2016 when I had GreenLight Laser for BPH.  That procedure was followed by Gyrus Turp in May of 2016 to clean up a lot of debris from the first procedure.  I use condom catheters and a bag most days.   If your stricture is at the bladder mouth, then there is a treatment using Mitomycin C along with dilation or urethrotomy to prevent strictures from coming back.

I have a long stricture close to the external sphincter that apparently the cause of my incontinence.  I think the sphincter itself may have been damaged.  I don't have to do CIC as I've never been blocked.  At night, I sleep in Depends pullups, and I can hold as much as 400 cc until I'm awakened by the pressure.  I usually wake 3 to 5 times at night to go to the toilet.  During the day, I use a condom catheter and bag as I constantly leak, and would have to go through 6-9 Depends if I were using them.

Ask your doctor about Mitomycin C for the bladder neck stricture.  It is supposedly effective in keeping strictures from coming back.

• Posted

Yoshiro,

In reading through this discussion, I note that you posted about 9 months ago.  I wanted to update you on my situation in case you are following the discussion.   I had a long stricture at the external sphincter.   The stricture was caused by surgical trauma when I had GreenLight Laser surgery in March of 2016.   ne urologist r did a urethrotomy in late September of last year.  Based on the list of surgical supplies I received after the surgery, he apparently used a plasma laser to remove the stricture.  For one week post surgery, I had a Fr 22 Foley catheter in place.  I then removed it per doctor's instructions

Six weeks after the urethrotomy, I went in for a visual cystoscopy which showed that the urethra was patent (open).  A week later, I had an Artificial Urinary Sphincter implanted.  The cuff of the AUS is located around the bulbous urethra.   The AUS was activated the 1st week of this year (2018), and it has been quite effective in controlling the high level of incontinence I had.

My flow rate when I empty the bladder is excellent.  The last time I checked it, emptying a full bladder of about 350 cc took me only about 13 seconds, for an average flow rate of about 27 cc/second.   (I have to operate a manual pump that is in the scrotum.  The procedure is to squeeze the bulb of the pump a few times.  This releases pressure from the cuff around the urethra allowing me to pee.

I location of the cuff of the AUS keeps the "upstream" area of the urethra filled  with urine and under pressure, except for when I pee.   I am hopeful that this arrangement will keep the stricture from coming back. 

Recently, there was a post on this board from someone in Tanzania who said his doctor instructed patients who have just had a urethrotomy to do the following;  When they needed to pee, they would start the stream, then squeeze the end of the penis to cause pressure in the urethra.  The person who made the post said it had been effective for him.   I also found reference on-line to a study (I've lost track of the location) in Africa that tested efficacy of that procedure, and it claimed some substantial success.  Unfortunately, I don't recall the terminology used for the procedure, so I can't search for it.  Because it seems to be an obscure procedure, I suspect most urologists are not aware of it.

Glenn

• Posted

Sorry for glitch in 1st paragraph.  Change, " ne urologist r did a urethrotomy in late September of last year."   It should read,  "My new urologist did a urethrotomy in late September of last year."

• Posted

Terribly sorry for my long silence. After this dilation, the bleeding stopped after 4 days. Worst 4 days of my life, it was the first time I ever had to take pain medication. Story gets worse, 1 month after this dilation...I completely closed up for the first time. It created a pattern where I'd close up every 2 weeks, then 1 week, then 3 days. I therefore had my second uretharotomy and was put in intermittent self catheterization. I now have to insert a catheter every day, sometimes painful, often bleeds, tons of infections. I've been doing it since november and there are good days and bad days. My sex life is completely ruined, after ejaculation I close up rapidly and have to force urine through which usually ends up with me bleeding for 2 days..... 

My advice to you, if you have a stricture...get the urethroplasty IMMEDIATELY!  If you're overweight..lose it immediately because you can't get the urethroplasty while being on the bigger side. Don't let it get to the point it did for me... 

• Posted

Where is your stricture? 

I have ave one about 1.5 inches in from the tip of my penis (hypospadius repairs as a child that developed scar tissue 20 years later) 

i had a dilation with Urethrotomy about 12 years ago and self dilated myself (only inserting about 2inches, not to the bladder) once a day for 12 years. 

Last tuesday  I had a repeat and took my own catheter out this morning. I will have to continue self dilating now again.  Hoping it holds for awhile. 

I am am going to see a urethral reconstruction expert July 3rd to talk options.  I am considering a perineal urethrostomy as well just to get it things done. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.