Just had a urethrotomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

All,

I had a urethrotomy 6 weeks ago to resolve a constant dull need to urinate. Six weeks later pain has resolved but the sensation remains, stricture was small (2mm) and the tightness is less than before and I only hope it will not return. Although I still feel a slight discomfort ... I can certainly feel the area where I was dialated when I run. The surgeon appears to be unsympathetic to my case and says I have a minor issue and it is nothing to worry about.

Worryingly I was not made aware of success rates prior to surgery and although the feeling of needing to urinate was annoying I was living a pretty normal life.

Reading the stories on here are really scary and make me wonder if I made the right decision. Only time will tell. I do wonder if there is any evidence of successful urethrotomy procedures. Most online forums are pretty bleak places to go.

Cheers

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Should your stricture persist, you may want consider a balloon dilation, which seems to have a better success rate.  I'm curious as to the cause of your stricture(s).  Mine were from TURP and or GreenLaser procedures I had last year.  OR possibly, from the two cystoscopies, or the multiple Foley catherizations I've had in the last 11 months following my unfortunate surgical outcomes.

• Posted

I got hit in the groin playfighting with my son.

6 weeks post op this week and still feels terrible down below :-(

• Posted

Hi Anon

Sorry to hear your still uncomfortable. I'm going on 15 months post urethrotomy, my second one and i'm still uncomfortable down there. I think it's safe to say i'll never feel right again plus my flow has already slowed wish I would have opted for urethroplasty. Urethrotomy hardly ever cures except for maybe in your case where the stricture is very short, but if it does come back I wouldn't mess around with urethrotomy again. Urethroplasty is the only cure. What was your flow rate prior to the surgery?

• Posted

I'm afraid I'm facing urethroplasty myself.  I had a ballon dilation two months ago when my surgeon discovered two strictures causes, I have to assume, by another doctor who performed GL laser and Gyrus TURP on me last year.   A month after the dilation, I was optimistic as I was measuring an average flow rate of about 12 cc per second.  I measured it by peeing into a graduated plastic urinal and timing from start to stop of the flow. (Amount collected divided by elapsed time.)  Then, a week later, I noticed the rate was declining and now it's down to 6 or 7  cc per minute.

I only have to empty my bladder at night (3 to 4 times) of if I've been sitting during the day, as I have a high level of incontinence from the GL and Gyrus TURP last year.  If I can get the urethra clear of strictures, I plan to have an artifical sphincter implanted so I can be free of living in Depend pullups or using a condom catheter and bag.

Glenn

• Posted

Normal flow rate as far as I am aware just a terrible quality of life due to feeling needing the toilet.

I was clearing my bladder so am worried I made the wrong choice. Only time will tell.

• Posted

Same here I was emptying my bladder and flow was exceptable. Did the urethrotomy anyway because of the feeling of always having to go and ended up making urethra worse now I can't empty and I have pain. Turns out my problem was my herniated disc. It got better when I had back surgery. Wrecked my urethra for nothing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.