Just had Acute Urinary Retention(AUR) for first time - Bladder health?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm 47 and been dealing with moderate LUTs for about 2.5 years.I have had screening for PC using both MRI and liquid biopsy. No signs of cancer. I have avoided medication due to the side effects. I had tried Tamsulosin a couple years ago, but stopped due to RE and congestion. My Dr did a cystography a couple years ago and did seem some trebeculation in my bladder already. I have had issues where if I hold my urine too long, I can have difficulty going but I have never gone into AUR until Monday night. I had a few alcoholic drinks and feel asleep. I woke up and couldn't pee at all. I tried for a couple hours and had to go to an ER. I was traveling so I could not visit my usual provider. They drained 1000 mL of urine using a cat. The next day I could go small amounts on my own, but my stream was weak and I felt some fullness in my bladder after going. I went back to the ER the next night after not being about to urinate for a hours. I was concerned my bladder was full again, and since I had a flight to catch in the morning, better to have it drained. This time they only drained 200mL, but I had barely been drinking all day.

Anyways, at 47 it's clear I need to stay on the meds and have a procedure. My Dr. only offers TURP or Urolift(I have Kaiser NW). I'm concerned I may have damaged my bladder with the AUR episode. Has anyone had AUR and been able to get a strong stream after having a TURP, or other treatment done? I'm hoping at my age, my bladder is still ok. I read stories how people deal with this for 10-15 years before surgical treatment. I am seeing my urologist Tuesday and he is going to do another cystography to look at my bladder. I should know more then, but curious on other's stories with AUR and long term prognosis.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

hi. in my opinion it should not happen to ya at your age at all. Unless your prostate gland is expanding rapidly because is infected. My advice to you is like for everyone else - do the semen culture test and Stamey's test if you can. Must investigate if all your prostate problems are caused by bacteria. Urine test is no good. Otherwise you my have TURP or whatever and it will not sort out your problem anyway. You will still suffer with reoccurring water infections which can lead to kidneys problems

Good luck

• Posted

here is my AUR story... I am fine now!

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/my-pae-at-ucla-april-2019-700378?page=3#3547104

• Edited

Thanks Bobcats.3 AURs and still ok? That makes me feel better. Did your urologist ever do a cystography and look up into your bladder to look for damage? Unfortunately PAE is probably not an option for me unless I go straight out of pocket. I may have to do TURP as I don't think I have the time to wait any longer for aquablation to become available at Kaiser NW.

• Posted

I never had cystoscopy. I actually have not been back to my urologist in more than 3 years. He recommended against the PAE in favor of Turp.

My IR wants me to start seeing urologist again, which i will probably do.

I am doing great, and would be happy living the rest of my life with my current urinary condition. And I did pay a lot out of pocket, but worth it for me. Nothing works the same for every one and there is no guarantee that what is working now will continue to work forever. For now I am grateful! Good luck to you !

• Posted

I don't think an episode or three of AUR will cause permanent problems. It is good to get it taken care of, though. Best of luck...

• Posted

I just had an appointment yesterday where they scoped my bladder. The doctor didn't see anything that he was overly concerned about. I have an appointment Friday to learn how to self-cath. That should be interesting. He is suggesting Urolift, but it seems like the outcomes are pretty variable. He doesn't offer aquablation yet, so it's Urolift, TURP, or stay on the meds and keep my catheter with me just in case.

• Edited

after my first AUR, doc sent me home with self catheters. Not much to learn really... you stick it in and drain your bladder.

My first AUR , i went to the ER. 2nd one i self cathed in the shower. It was very uncomfortable and it doesn't feel right. you have to keep inserting past the point where you think it is safe and then once you break the blockage... boom , instant relief. Of course there is blood mixed in with urine at it is not pleasant, it is scary, but compared to complete retention...a God send! i only had to do it once and then slowly i was able to void on my own until, about 1 year later.

1 year later i was on a plane from Austin To Los Angles sitting in First class( a rare treat) and i happened to be sitting next to celebrity , Matthew McConaughey . It's a long story but i went into full retention on the plane. I did have catheters in my back pack , but I did not feel comfortable doing it in a tiny plane restroom. I actually told Matthew what was going on with me and he couldn't have been nicer or more helpful! I made it to the airport and found a single bathroom and inserted cath. Again , scary, blood , relief!

After that episode I made a decision to get the PAE. I intended to go to Dr Bagla on the east coast , but I ended up at UCLA with Dr McWilliams. I have not had a single AUR since then , not even a "close call". I am mostly back to normal and i and I am so Happy I got the PAE. Im sure you can search my user name and read more about my story via my posts on this forum if you are interested.

• Posted

if considering TURP , I would definitely find someone who did the HoLEP procedure. Its a better procedure, just not as many practitioners.

• Posted

I can tell you that I have had some occassions of AUR, but, after a few days of a foley, normal functioning would return.

• Edited

i would never recommend a urolift i know to many guys with failed ones including myself go get another doctor my current doc refuses to do a urolift because of the failure rate

• Edited

Similar story. Been battling symptoms for about 10 years, mostly by taking Tamsulosin. In March I experienced my first (and hopefully only) AUR after a luau. I decided that ruining my family's Maui vacation while I was sitting catheterized in the hotel room meant it was time to address the problem. My urologist explained that the only solution that will last is a TURP-like resection. He compared it having a leaky roof - at some point spot repairs stop working and you need a new roof.

I just had my TURP on Monday and so far so good. As I was warned, peeing hurts like hell and the toilet is a bloody mess. But my stream is making a noise when it hits the bowl that I haven't heard in years. That's a good sound. I expect another couple of weeks of recovery, but if it goes as planned I shouldn't have to worry about BPH symptoms for years.

FWIW, my urologist is skeptical about non-TURP procedures. He described them as no more effective but significantly more costly. Keep that in mind as you read the reviews - there may be a financial incentive to push some procedures over others.

Best of luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.