Just had an ovarian cysts 5cm removed, I'm only 19yo..

Posted , 7 users are following.

Feeling very worried as I'm still young yet I've already had such a big cyst. The doctor mention that there's even hair in the cyst!! (not cancerous tho) 

The exact term for the surgery I've undergone is ' laparoscopic right cystectomy'. Till date, I don't understand why is this happening to me at such a young age. I'm very worried if it will come back again and whether it's gonna affect the chances of pregnancy in future... Please advise, thank you

3 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Apjt,

I understand you are worried.  I too found out during another surger (spleen and gallbladder) that I had a grapefruit size ovarian cyst.  My surgeon was able to save the ovary.  That was when I was 18 years old.  I am getting ready for a cyst and ovary removal next week on the same ovary as before.  So to your question yes you may get another cyst but since your doctor was able to save your ovary you should be fine.  You can even be without an ovary and still have a beautiful family.  Keep calm and have a speady recovery.....

• Posted

Hello!

I am sorry you have had to deal with dermoid cysts at such a young age. I too, have had the same problems!

I always had pain on my left from about age 16...nobody could ever find the problem.

I gave birth to my first daughter at 18 years old...got pregnant again and have birth at 28 years old. While I was having an emergency c-section, they found a very large dermoid cyst and had to remove the whole left ovary.

My periods never changed and I still ovulate every month.

I am 34 years old, and found out I have a dermoid on my remaining ovary. It scared me really bad, cause we wanted one more child, but I was told dermoids don't affect fertility, so I should be fine.

I got pregnant last year (with the dermoid on my ovary) and unfortunately, we lost her at 22 weeks (our loss was unrelated to the cyst).

So now we are trying again..with the dermoid. I had my ovarian reserve tested and it is great! With one ovary and a cyst onthe other! I have been told to wait until after I have another baby to remove the cyst, as any surgery on your ovary can affect ovarian reserve and make it harder to get pregnant .

You should be fine!! Good luck to you!

• Posted

Hi apjt,

Please try not to worry. There will be no reason it will stop you having children. Even if it does come back it will just mean another op (i know its not nice, but fertility shouldnt b a problem). Your way to young to worry so much. Just live your life to the fullest and you'll look back & wonder why tou worried so much.

Best wishes & hope you have a quick recovery.

Cheryl?xx

• Posted

Hi my daughter is only 13yrs she has has extremely painful periods for at least 3 months, I took her to gp again a month ago and because she was born with 1 kidney & unusual shaped uterus he sent her for ultrasound scan. I was surprised that the scan showed an 8cm cyst, they said she needed mri

Scan for clearer pic, I've just had appointment in post for that in another 5 weeks !

She is having blood tests tomorrow

But she hasn't been having the pain she was having, so I'm wondering if the cyst would have shrunk or I've read it gets painful during & after menstrual cycle, she still has a dull pain.

We have an appointment at hospital to see doctor for 1st time on 8th may

Has anyone else experienced the pain coming & going? I'm just wondering what's going on.

• Posted

Hi there,

As far as I know, a Dermoid cyst is from birth, it would of developed when you were a baby and would have grown slowly throughout the years from research I have done.

I have just had a 7cm dermoid cyst removed from my right ovary. It does not affect fertility. They can be safely removed the majority of the time. I too was so upset that I might lose my ovary as I find it hard to conceive due to irregular periods (likely due to me being over weight.)

There is a 4% chance that a Dermoid cyst will grow back, also what I've found when researching. Do you have a follow up appt with your consultant?

Kind Regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.