Just had Botox for my fissure

Posted , 28 users are following.

Has anyone had Botox injections for anal fissures? Just had procedure today. When should I start feeling relief? I'm in PAIN and am so tired of it! Been dealing with this for almost a year. Help!

0 likes, 114 replies

114 Replies

Next
  • Posted

give it a bit of time not very good for me first one good then had second one no reaction at all so i think only short term solution
    • Posted

Yes, I know this is only a short-term solution...if it works at all.  Was just hoping to avoid actual surgery.  Still holding on to hope that this will work for me.  Thanks!

• Posted

Hope it works for you I didnt such luck after botox and operation still suffers leakage  and feels very senitive always aware of it  dont suffer any pain a bit sore at times
  • Posted

Botox creates conditions where the fissure is more likely to heal. This will take time. It does not happen instantly. Keep taking stool softeners; drink plenty of water and it should heal after a couple of months. If If not you mayneed another stronger injection.

I am sure you will get there eventually!

• Posted

Thanks, I will keep taking the softeners, eating fiber, drinking, exercising and will TRY to be patient!
    • Posted

I had today and pain free straight away, but also found out ive gor something called proctitas whuch is basically migrains of the sphincter, i will prob have to have botox again as my sphincter is naturally weak hope your coping well .
    • Posted

And my surgeon is very anti sphincter sphincterectomys.
    • Posted

Wow, great for you!  I guess that's what i thought would happen for me. Today is actually better. Pain is managable with no pain meds (just 800 Ibuprofen).  Hoping each day gets better.  Good luck!

• Posted

I am still taking ibuprofen one month after second Botox. There is still some discomfort. about an hour after BM but nothing like the sharp pain. I too am hoping for steady improvement
    • Posted

hope you have more with botox than me leakage my big problem now not much pain
    • Posted

Leakage and flatulence are the downside of Botox. However they aren't permanent and hopefully the relaxed sphyncter will help healing. Best of luck.

Roger

• Posted

Had leakage before botox and operation that the reason that i had them in the first place
    • Posted

Botox will definitely not cure leakage but will probably make it worse . Stopping leakage requires a tight sphincter muscle which Botox relaxes.
    • Posted

had botox before operation called lateral sphincterotomy but did not solve problem although surgeoen said it would before i had it done
    • Posted

So you've had the surgery?  How long ago?  Are you pain free?  I have been warned against the surgery as it would cause leakage.  I haven't had that experience with the Botox so far so my guess is I won't at this point.  

How are you with pain now...after surgery?

• Posted

little or no pain but had leakage before botox and operation lateral sphincterotomy but didnt cure it as doctersaikd it would
    • Posted

What they dont tell you is that neither the lateral sphincterotomy  or the botox solve the problem immediately but they both create more relaxed sphincter conditions which should promote healing and reduce pain. They both can lead to leakage and flatulence.

I am six weeks after my second botox and think there is some improvement. However I still have discomfort an hour after BM and take Ibuprofen to quieten it. It has caused embarrassing flatulence and a small amoubnt of leakage. 

I live in hope that the fissure is healing. 

My advice for what its worth is to ask any surgeon exactly what he is doing; what effects it should have; and what sytmptons can you expect. Also get some prediction regarding healing of the fissure.  

• Posted

healed quite well no pain no problem going to toilet or after using toilet but if have to go toilet second time makes leakage worse its a two to three years since operation and botox so not looking good
    • Posted

Sorry!  This is the reason why my doc does not want me to have the surgery.  Says that leakage is in my future if I do due to my age...54.  So if Botox doesn't do the trick, I need to decide whether or not to live the rest of my life in constant pain or deal with leakage.  Great choices.

• Posted

Why is it that when have hot bath or shower heat in back passage and leakage gets worse not easy to have cold wash in winter time here in uk
    • Posted

Had all those pressure tests done twice in two different hospitals in london told boyh cases that they were normal dont have a lot of leakage or pain but very senitive always aware of it that my big problem
    • Posted

I had Botox beginning of June. Was in extreme pain for 3 weeks after - the Botox seemed to irritate my sentinel pile so was worse pain than before the procedure. Started to get better very gradually. Thought I was on road to recovery then had a hard bm yesterday with a lot of blood. Hoping this won't be too bad of a set back.

Doctor suggests if fissure doesn't completely heal I could do Botox again but he doesn't seem too hopeful - more like "well it won't hurt." Except the first round set me back $1300 US. My doc says people tend to be much happier after the surgery.

I take Miralax and Metamucil every night. I eat fiber one every morning. Use Diltiazem/Nifedipine ointment 3x a day. Take muscle relaxer at night. Take Advil as needed. Sit on heating pad all day at work. This all started beginning of April.

What was your experience with repeating the Botox? Do you recommend it?

• Posted

Hello Roger

Don't know whether you're still on the Forum but wondering whether your fissure did on fact heal after the second lot of botox

I am 4 weeks post my first botox and am despairing of things improving before the effects of the injection wear off

How long after the first injections did you have the second set?

I really hope things improved for you ....if they did how long did the healing take ?

Many thanks

• Posted

Hello Roger

Don't know whether you are still on the Forum and what your experience of botox was ultimately

I am 4.5 weeks post first botox for chronic fissure and so far the terrible spasms have gone but the pain post bm is still extreme and lasting hours

Did you heal after one set.of injections ?

How long did it take ?

Hope you are now for and well

• Posted

You can have Botox many times according to one trial outbof 100 people after the first Botox X amount healed then Botox 2. For the remaining people X amount healed then after the last people having Thier third lot most were healed only two had lis in the end you can have Botox like 5 times an hope at some point it works good luck
    • Posted

hi roger I presume you had the botox . can you kindly advise if you were fully healed with them

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.