Just had Botox for my fissure

Posted , 28 users are following.

Has anyone had Botox injections for anal fissures? Just had procedure today. When should I start feeling relief? I'm in PAIN and am so tired of it! Been dealing with this for almost a year. Help!

0 likes, 114 replies

114 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

So sorry to hear that you are still in pain. I actually didnt have the botox. I had the sphincteronomy surgery. However, here are some suggestions I have for you to help you through:

1. Try somee zinc oxide in the form of calmoseptine which has menthol to soothe the area down there as well. Calmoseptine can be bought at almost any local drugstore and can be bought online too.

2. Try squatting when going on the toilet instead of sitting. This is a much  helathier position and the poop sometimes will just slide out,  no pushing or straining involved.

3. I would definately take a fiber supplement, specifically metamucil  is what I take evveryday,  in ordr to allow your stools to be soft and to allow them to pass thorugh easily. THis being said, with any fiber supplemetn, you must drink lots of water when using them, or they will not work veffectively. Also, do not take too much as too much fiber can irritate your bowels on the way  out and diarreah actually does worse down there.

4. I would recommend getting a sphicteronomy surgery if htings dont get better. I waited it out, gave up, had the surgery, and was able to heal within about two weeks. I had a chronic fissure, so I knew where you are ocming from with v all the pain and discomfort.

Try listening to music to distract your mind a bit, especially when going to the bathroom. If you are in writing pain, distract yourself with a movie or TV show right after. Also, to prevent myself from screaming and from putting more stress in the area down  there, i bit down on a washcloth in order to make the tensions with my teeth instead of my sphicter muscle.

Hope this helps!!!

Best,

Myles

• Posted

Wow, thanks, Myles.  It's one day shy of a week since my Botox and while I'm not 100% pain free, the pain I experience after a bm is not as intense as it has been...which is good.

I have no issues going...it's after the "go" that is the problem.  Metamusil, stool softeners and water...that's my go to.  Do it daily!  I have used Triple Paste on occassion but will try the Calmoseptine next...thanks for the tip!

So glad you have had relief with the surgery.  It's good to know.  My doc really doesn't want to do it because of the after effects of leakage.  I am 54 and he tells my that this will definately be in my future if I have the surgery.  

I continue to have hope that Botox will be my answer.  Again, thank you for the tips!

Lisa

• Posted

This is all excellent advice. The only thing i would add is that it may be that a few days of starvation,which is not as hard as it sounds, could give the passage a rest and promote healing. These things are usually a trade off  and personally I would rather miss out on eating, which most of us do too much of anyway,  to have a few days completely pain free. 

I quite like calmoseptine for its cool analgesic effect although I find the area very sensitive to any ointments. 

Roger

• Posted

I have has a chronic fissure since January 26th, 2018. I have hemorrhoids since 2002, after my son. I just had botox with biopsy. I am dreading my first BM and terrified to remove bandage inserted.

• Posted

My problem tend to get worse when have hot bath leakage and  gets very warm or sweaty feeling using sudocrem antiseptic cream helps some what but still very aware of it when in crowd.
  • Posted

I'm sorry that your experiencing this. Can I ask when you had your Botox were you sedated at all for this? I am due to have this done but my consultant has said said I do not need to be sedated for it. I'm not going to lie it has put the fear of God in me having it done to the point I have already put the injections off once before but know I need to have it done

• Posted

I had a general anaethetic for both my injections. It also allows the surgeon to make a thorough examination which could otherwise be painful. My procedure was described as EUA (examination under anaesthetic) and botox injection. 
    • Posted

Yes I was put to sleep for fifteen minutes in london
    • Posted

Yes, I was.  My doc said considering the amount of pain I was currently in, there would be no way I could be awake for the injections.  Can you request to be sedated?  I certainly would!  If you are in any kind of pain before the injections, how could you possibly stand these injections without being put to sleep?  Good luck!
  • Posted

Anal fissures are a very painful split in the skin just inside the rectal (anal) opening or the skin on the outside. The cause seems to be muscle spasm. The spasm might be the sphincter itself or of the pelvic floor muscles which are connected to the sphincter. 

Treatments include: medications (ointments) that you apply directly, oral medication, laxatives and fiber, pelvic floor physical therapy (PT), and injections like Botox directly into the sphincter to get it to relax. 

Peak effect of Botox is in 2 weeks, but many patients see relief sooner. 

It is NOT true that you will need Botox over and over, but you may need more than one. The goal is to break the cycle of spasm, not to only relax it temporarily. 

Constipation is your enemy. Ask about PT if you haven't yet tried it. Make sure you get a PT with advanced training in visceral manipulation and gut motility as well as manual therapy. 

Feel better.

• Posted

Hi I had Botox yesterday did it end up working for you?
    • Posted

Hi cara

How was your healing after botox?

I have had a chronic fissure since January 26th, 2018. I have hemorrhoids since 2002, after my son. I just had botox with biopsy. I am dreading my first BM and terrified to remove bandage inserted.

Any leakage and gas issues?

• Posted

Hi lmd

How are you now after Botox?

And did u end up LIS?

Please!!! I have chronic anal fissure for passed 4 months

• Posted

Knock on wood...I have not had an issue since I had the Botox!  Also, there's a product called Calmol Suppositories. You can purchase these at any drugstore at the prescription counter.  Metamucil 2-3x's a day if necessary to help you go easier.  All these things helped a little but the Botox was the winner.

Good luck!  I know how painful fissures are so don't wait!  See a Colorectal Doctor ASAP!

• Posted

Thanks lmd,

This gives me hope! Also how was the process of Botox ? Was it very painful for 1st week or 2? 

I’m due for this Monday 

• Posted

The procedure was easy...they put me to sleep so I didn't feel a thing. The pain after subsided within a week or two and I've never had pain since.

Good luck! I hope it works for you as well as it did for me!

• Posted

Hi Lmd

How was your healing after botox?

I have had a chronic fissure since January 26th, 2018. I have hemorrhoids since 2002, after my son. I just had botox with biopsy. I am dreading my first BM and terrified to remove bandage inserted.

Any leakage and gas issues?

• Posted

HEY Asia

I Just had my botox done on 12/20/18. I Removed my bandage the next day. my first BM was painless. Im still healing and it seems Im a lil swollen as well. The spasms arent as painfull prior to the procedure. Im just trying to be patient n hope this works 😃

• Posted

I was nervous about removing bandage and so far no pain. Definitely doing better than when I went in. Any leakage or gas?

• Posted

hi . just wondering after the botox was you able to live your life as in do normal things etc. ?

I have my botox scheduled for Thursday 12th as in next week and wanted to know how mich time to take off work

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.