Just had cataract surgery - Jumpy vision

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had an epiretinal membrane peel, which led eventually to a cataract, as they warned. I had the cataract removed and got a long distance vision lense. I had the operation two days ago. I can see incredibly sharply long distance without glasses now and am SO pleased. But I notice when reading, everything seems to jump rapidly, sort of out of the side of my vision.  I realize my eyes are settling down and still adjusting, but is this normal?  I talk to my dr in a week but am a little worried.

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

There is a very good free ebook online by a cataract surgeon that addresses issues before and after surgery, which says something that might match what you are experiencing:

"It's okay to read, but your vision may seem "jiggly". Because the lens capsule has not yet contracted around the IOL, there may be a slight jiggle of the lens with each eye movement. This is most noticeable when reading and will improve over the next few weeks." 

Unfortunately on this site they send the message to a moderator if you include a link, so to avoid delay I'll say that the PDF file of the book should be the first link, or close to it, if you Google for this line:

"David Richardson, MD"  "what you need to know about cataract surgery" pdf

I'll also note that book addresses the issue of laser surgery that primeland mentions above, and he comes down on the side that for most people laser surgery isn't worth the cost yet, though it depends on each person since some people may have complicating factors that makes a laser better in their case. Also lasers for surgery are improving all the time so eventually it may get there, the benefit just hasn't yet been proven in the view of many surgeons.

• Posted

Thank you softwaredev for Dr. Richardson's info.  That makes sense about the jiggling and I am reading it now.
    • Posted

Thank you Softwaredev this helped explain it to me and it wasn't just my Multifocal IOL that was just implanted.  I would like to respond to my experience with the multifocal tecnis lens , I am 3 days post op and my intermediate vision and distance vision is amazing, my near vision is so much better than it has been the last few years and the doctor said it will get even better and more defined after my second eye is done.  Besides the jumpy vision I am happy and they said the jumpy vision will go away, along with it it is like something is in the perfical vision and again was told that would diminish and go away.  Thanks for the pdf info that helps a lot and no I didn't need laser vision because I didn't have any astigmatisum that needed corrected.  
    • Posted

Hey there Ladymccoy, which multifocals did you exactly get implanted?
    • Posted

I got the tecnis multifocal 2.75 my vision is not jumping now, maybe in a store under bright florescent light. I am still waiting for the beveled edge effect to go away at times I don't notice it so I hope it goes away. But no glasses makes me happy

• Posted

I just had the Symfony lens implanted in both eyes. The right was done 10days ago, the left three days ago. At the one day check, I was seeing 20/20 for distance, intermediate (computer distance) and for reading. That has stayed true for the right eye at the one week checkup. I am amazed at the transformation. My eyesight was really bad with -14 and -13.5 plus astigmatism. This is so incredible! The only caveat is that I am seeing large halos at night when driving. I was used to halos, but these are immense. I hope they get better. I have not talked to my opthamaligist  about it as I had not experienced it until after the second surgery and I started driving again. Also, my eyes get tired and I can't see as well. I will need reading glasses for tiny print and very close up work. Hope this helps others.

• Posted

cherylswede,

Thank you for sharing your epxiernece. Did you get the Symfony torics or nontorics for your astigmatism or perhaps you got it corrected with an incision? Reading about your vision it seems like you got both set for distance with no micromonovision. How much near can you see? You mention reading glasses for tiny print, do you have to hold things a bit further from you to see it? You don't mention the importance of near vision for you and whether you were myopic or farsighted prior to surgery. I'm myopic so near vision is a must so was wondering. I hope your halos do get better, not entirely sure if it is because it's during the healing process but it would be a disappointment if the Symfony lead to larger halos. 

Jason.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.