just had esophagectomy for achalasia

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi

Due to achalasia and having a mega esophagus that was bleeding and damaged after 3 previous ops, I had my esophagectomy on Feb 18th.

i am doing really well. I am a bit cautious about appearing too blaise about the op as I am aware that some people have huge problems and complications after it.

But for me, everything went like a dream. I suppose my age helps [am 45] and I have had 3 ops before to give me experience. I went in on the day of the op [Thurs]. The op lasted 6 hours and i was taken to Intensive care. I had the tans-hiatal version where the esophagus is removed completley and the stomach is pulled up into the neck.

I was awake and lucid afterward and remember talking to the nursing staff. The following morning I was sitting up in bed in ICU ringing people up and telling them how well I felt.

So they moved me to a private room in the main upper GI ward. Didn't even have a cannula as I had a jujostemony thing and all medicines went in there. Pretty soon was out of bed and walking around. The dreaded nasal gastric tube came out [yippee] It had been stitched into my nose to hold it in position [boo!] The surgeon came to see me every day. Something called the \"main line\" was removed from my neck on Monday and I had to lie down for half an hour after that so air didn't get in....

The surgeon came in on the Tuesday and said I could go home on wed - had some ice cream and soup and managed it ok. Left hospital on the Wed after 6 days a record for the hospital. Still had feeding tube in case It was needed. Had to wash it out with a syringe of cold boiled water every day - a strange sensation!

The first week or two had severe dumping basically poohing water due to food rushing too quickly through my stomach tube and being digested in the small intestine. Had to quickly learn what foods made it happen and avoid them for a bit. My appetite disappeared and I lost a lot of weight [about a stone and a half] .

Spoke to dietitian and was prescribe fortisip and Creon, and drug that is supposed to aid the body in absorbing fats. Went to see the surgeon who was pleased with my progress. They removed the feeding tube [yippeee!] started driving after 3 weeks. Slowly my appetite has been returning and have stopped the weight loss. The 4 weeks after the op we went to a restaurant for the first time. Unfortunately had diarrhea afterward, so was still not quite right there.

Am doing normal things at home trying to build up my strength and stamina. Am taking no pain killers at all. Have been signed off work til the end of April but hope to go back in a gradual return to work after that. I support people with mental illness like schizophrenia. Luckily my line manager is a former ward sister who used to nurse people who have had esophagectomies.

Everything that is happening to me is normal for recovering from this op and I am doing really well. Like i said, I don't want to be too dismissive of the risks and problems associated with this op, but I am doing well and am sailing through the experience. Just wish I could eat a bit more and didn't have to make sure I am near a toilet [although this will improve over time]

Its now 2 months since the op and I have been on holiday eating in restaurants [ordering starters as my main]. I have a card from the \"Oesophageal Patients Association\" saying this that I show to waiters. Still having the odd dumping issue but I hope to be back at work in a few weeks time.

Regards

tim

3 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

This is pretty great and music to my ears. I have had a previous surgery and am now looking at an esophagectomy. I have seen 3 surgeons trying to see if  there is another way, but all roads keep leading back to Rome. I do not like the dumping and diarrhea but hopefully I can fugure a way to overcome that. Like you this surgery is not an option, mostly a neccessity. My esophagus keeps getting infections and ulcers from the food sitting there too long.
    • Posted

If you go on the HealthUnlocked site you will find the oesophageal patients assocation community there worthwhile.   The 'dumping' is often connected with diet and insulin balance and can be mitigated by eating low glycemic food, as if you were diabetic.   And the diarrhoea is not suffered by everyone by any means, and, at its worst, needs treatment with antibiotics by a knowledgeable gastroenterologist.  
  • Posted

Hi, Tim,

I've had achalasia for 50 years. Long story of pain. I had a Heller's Myotomy in 1990 and another myotomy with fundiplication in 2010.  Now I am in advanced stages and doctors are recommending esophagectomy for last 3 years. I keep hoping there is another solution. 3 years ago I talked to a patient who was postop 6 weeks. He was having a lot of acid reflux. The stomach tissue includes "chief cells," which are the mechanisms that create the acid. Do the chief cells continue to operate once the stomach becomes the esophagus? Does the procedure leave some portion of the stomach intact? I am concerned about continuing to have acid washing up into my upper throat and mouth. How are you doing today?

Diana

• Posted

If you have an oesophagectomy for achalasia and have no complications for your stomach, there is no reason why most of your stomach should not be left intact (but it will be re-shaped and joined up with the rest of your oesophagus and be located in your chest).   So the acid-producing cells will still operate.   The normal way of combatting this is through PPI medication like Omeprazole.  I spoke to somebody a few months ago who had had this operation about ten days earlier, and she felt really well.    
  • Posted

I'm glad to hear your results I'm 58 years old and about to have my esophagectomy November 21. I'm scared as hell im don't think my wife and kids know what is about to happen to me. I'm not showing me being scared in front of them when I went threw chemo an radiation for 5 weeks they both couldn't sleep seeing me nauseated and throwing up. I'm in pretty good shape so if operation go's good I believe I'll have a fast recovery. So thanks for your input.

• Posted

Although an oesophagectomy is a major operation, there are many cases where it takes place without further complications.   Yes, you will have to eat 'little and often' and probably avoid sugary foods afterwards, and you may well have to have acid-suppressing medication to avoid reflux, but it is an operation that is successful in achieving its aims for patients.   i can understand your being scared about it, but this fear need not be anything other than a natural anxiety about any surgery.

• Posted

Hi I just wanted to say I had my esophagectomy on November 21-2016,I also went thru 2 months of chemo and radiation.I gained all my weight back in three months since Esophagectomy. For people like me in the scary position of having to get a esophagectomy thinking that the operation is so scary that you might never be the same again. But you can get back to a normal life I golf 3 times this week and went bowling.I go back to my delivery truck driving job next week after 5 months off. Good luck everyone.
    • Posted

Great news that you are doing so well.

Do not overdo things!

?And you might want to keep a check on your insulin levels in view of yoyur job.   Some people get insulin 'spikes' that can be dangerous (it is called dumping syndrome, by the way, but do not worry if you do not get sweats, palpitations an hour or so after eating)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.