Just had gastroscopy and advised I may have Barretts

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have recently had a Gastroscopy and I have been advised I may have Barretts. A number of biopsy's have been taken. I can't stop thinking about what the results will be, I'm 35 years of age and feel worried.

My report reads:

Site a: lower esophagus

Specimens 4x biopsy at 33cm

Site b: lower esophagus

Specimens: 4x biopsy at 35cm

Site c: lower esophagus

Barretts epithelium, Prague C5M5.

Hiatus hernia: sliding at length 2cm.

Specimens: 4x biopsy at 37cm

Diagnosis

Esophagus. Barretts mucosa and hiatus hernia.

Stomach. Normal

Duodenum. Normal

If anyone can explain further in to the report above o would be really greatful, I understand until I get the biopsy results back nothing can be clear.

If anyone can also provide any advice in regards to foods, diets moving forward. I need to add that I've never really knowingly suffered from acid reflux, but have suffered heart burn / indigestion on and off over the years in which I just thought was like everyone else. I've never smoked.

Thanks so much in advance for any advice and pointers moving forward.

James

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi james, i have barretts and hiatus hernia i was gutted when i found out, but just need to change your diet if you have either or both. If you look uo on internet Foods To Avoid with Batretts and also Hiatus Hernia u can start straight away. Dont worry there are quite a few people with it, even if you do have Barretts u will be monitored but changing your diet can improve the conditions. Hope this helps, 

Regards

Dawn

• Posted

Hi Dawn,

Thanks for your advice. I've looked a lot of things up, and I've already began to make changes. Can I ask what medication your on?

The hospital just said until I get my results try and start a stomach tablet to reduce the acid in my stomach. I've began some that my mum gets prescribed.

It definitely is a lifestyle change, again I don't smoke, I'm probably 1.5 stone overweight, so I'm going to loose that, and I love spicy foods, so all that's gone too..... unfortunately.

In regards to evening meals the only things I can see are either chicken, pasta, jacket potato, or Tuna, any other suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks again,

• Posted

HI james, i was on lansoprazole 30mg but now on esomeprazole 40mg as lansoprazole didnt work for me. U can use herbs to make foods taste better. If u like spaghetti bolognese, try using a tin on carrots and blend them to a pulp and add an oxo cube, couple splashes worcestershire sauce and couple splashes of soy sauce, its really nice. I used to love spicy food too. I mainly eat chicken, pork and fish u just need to experiment with everything, i dont drink tea anymore i drink hot water which sounds disgusting but u get used to it.. 

regards

Dawn

• Posted

Thanks for your help Dawn.

This all came about through me having a routine camera as I had gallstones. Had my gallbladder out on Monday, so just recovering now.

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated. 👍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.