Just had Laroscopic Nissen Fundoplication - good experience so far!

Posted , 30 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I had the LNF surgery three days ago and just wanted to tell you my experience of it all as I was terrified of the surgery and of the side effects afterwards - so much so I considered cancelling it at the last minute! I read a lot of information on the web in the days leading up to the surgey (good and bad) and was left feeling that even people with what seemed to be good experiences seemed to be having a very hard time. As it is so far I've been pleasantly surprised!

I had surgery due to a loose gullet which was confirmed via endoscopy. I opted to not be sedated so I could get the results these are then (if you're sedated you get them a few days later as you tend not to be awake enough afterwards to take in the information). The endoscopy wasn't the most pleasant experience but was over fairly quickly and something I could do again if needed without being nervous about it.

I then had all of the PH testing which confirmed acid reflux and the associated tests for swallowing that confirmed that I was a good candidate for Nissens.

Fast forward to three days ago and arrived at the hospital very nervous about it all and feeling like I wanted to back out. I'd read information on the web about bloating, not being able to burp, not being able to vomit, dumping, diahorrea, etc. and couldn't see how I could live with all of that afterwards! My surgeon was very dismissive of most of my fears (in a good way) and confirmed that not being able to vomit may be a side effect and short term bloating may be an issue but the rest of the side effects won't be an issue. I really trust the surgeon as he has always been very open with facts and statistics so was happy to go ahead with the surgery.

Feedback from the surgeon was that the surgery was very straightforward. He found a Hitaus Hernia which hadn't showed up before which he fixed as part of the fundoplication.

Since the surgey I've had a lot of discomfort in my tummy area but I've put this down to the holes that were made for the procedure rather than the fundoplication as it is very localised on the surface of my tummy. My lungs have been a bit sore since too and breathing in deeply has been uncomfortable but both issues have eased over the past three days.

In terms of eating and drinking I'd been told by the surgeon to experiment with textures to see what I can handle which is much better than the clear fluids for a week I was expecting. So far I have been able to drink water, squash, Horlicks and Decaf coffee without any issues. It takes a lot longer to get through a drink as there is a feeling inside like a funnel where liquids get backed up a bit when I swallow too much but there is no pain associated with this and it goes away after a few seconds. I managed to each half a bowl of Weetabix the morning after the surgery, moving on to custard, semolina and chicken soup over the past couple of days, none of which was strained. I'm probably not drinking enough due to how long it takes but my bladder and bowel movements are pretty normal so I'm not too worried about that at this stage. Also I am able to burp after eating and drinking. Probably not voluntary at the moment but when my body feels like it needs to it does. The same goes for passing wind too although there seems to be a lot more of that than usual!

So far I have no regrets about the surgery and feel that it was definitely the right thing to do. I expected the weeks after the surgery to be difficult but so far haven't suffered too badly. I'm self employed and work from home on a computer and am aiming to do a few hours this afternoon building up to full-time again next week, one week after the surgery. However, if I wasn't working from home I don't know if I could manage working in a office at this stage yet and definitely couldn't handle a commute via car, train, etc.

Hopefully my experience might be useful to others. I know from what I read before my surgery most of what I found on the web was negative so hopefully I can keep you updated with a positive experience!

Cheers,

Ben

6 likes, 112 replies

112 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Day 5 and I'm feeling really good. The pain has virtually gone except for an occassional cramplike pain towards the left of my tummy. A lots gone on in that area including two entry points for the laroscopic instruments so it could well be down to those. The 5 holes that were made look to be healing well. Glue was used to keep them closed rather than stitches which has held perfectly even after having a shower each day. I've kept the water pressure low on the shower and have kept the water cool to avoid damaging or soaking the glue too much. It is waterproof so should be a problem but I'd rather play it safe!

Food wise I've experimented a bit and have tried an Ella's Kitchen fruit pouch (baby food but it's good to try something different) which went down well. I've also tries some cheese strings and mushroom soup which were both fine. The Shreddies this morning didn't go down as well which was odd as they were soaked in milk and well chewed. This resulted in a bit of coughing which seemed to come from the back of my throat rather than my gullett so might be as a result of the tube they would have placed into my throat for the op.

Drink wise I'm able to drink faster now. I was taking very small sips initially and struggling to get through a glass but am now able to take bigger sips and get through a pint of drink in half an hour or so. I've been able to feel when I've taken too much. There's no discomfort but I can feel the liquid back up inside slightly which goes down after a few seconds. After a couple of days you start to be able to judge what quantity this is and sip appropiately.

I managed to work a few hours from home yesterday which apart from drifting concentration was fine. I think that's standard for most ops after a general anasthetic. I'm going out for the afternoon for the first time since the operation today which I'm looking forward to, although it will involve a stop at a coffee shop and watching everyone else eat cake might be difficult!

The lack of proper food hasn't been a problem for me so far. My expectations were very low as the leaflet I'd been given seemed to indicate clear fluids for a week or so. As it is I was on clear fluids for one night then straight onto soft foods so I've managed more than I expected. I do have the benefit (if you can call it that) of having had a jaw fracture a few years ago which resulted in liquids only for six weeks so I was well prepared for the worst. Having been through that experience I can tell you that it can be done and you can get through it regardless of what limitations might be put on your diet. With a Nissens at least each days gets a bit better and you can advance your diet a little bit more.

Quick tip - stock up on lots of liquidy and soft foods for your first few days to give you a bit of choice. Consomme, Weetabix, scrambled egg, custard, rice pudding, semolina, soups with small bits in and strained soups have all worked well for me so far. I'm finding myself eating smaller portions but more often so being able to avoid the same thing on the same day is a big help!

• Posted

Fantastic to hear how well you are doing ben and again Thanks so much for sharing, I am scheduled to have this op on a paraeosaphagel hernia in October, I dont have much reflux but a lot of pain under my left rib and alo short segment of barrets oesopahgus. A portion of my stomach is permanebtly stuck in my chest so affecting my lungs and breathing. I too am terrified but having a Fantastic surgeon is a must for this op, i was told you dont need a Great surgeon or even an excellent one you need the BEST surgeon for a positve outcome.Im travelling to a hospital 3 hours a way for my procedure. Wising you all the best in  your recovery and thanks for helping otherd with your updates.
    • Posted

I am having same symtoms as you. Not much reflux but a lot of pain from hernia under my right ribs. It has been constant and life altering. I was however and still am overweight. I just lost 11 pounds and am feeling almost not pain. so now I am confused and thinking of canceling.
  • Posted

Very interested in your comments re surgery and glad everything going well for your recovery. Think I shall be going down that route now, as no amount of medication relieves the constant pain that is wrecking my life. Did you say where you had your surgery? I live in the midlands but am fortunate enough to have private insurance so can in theory go anywhere. Thinking of making an appointment at a London hospital. When I first saw a gastroenterologist he said I was too old for surgery (I am 70 but very slim and fit and healthy apart from having reflux) so obviously will go and see someone else. I haven't had a PH test yet. Does this involve a stay in hospital? I am not scared of side effects because nothing can be worse than the pain and sleepless nights I suffer now. However, one of my friends had this done and she still has to take Omeprazole every day but at least this seems to work for her.
    • Posted

Hi Hilary. I live in Milton Keynes but was referred by the NHS to the Three Shires BMI private hospital in Northampton for all of my tests and treatment under Mr Guy Finch who I can highly recommend. The PH test was carried out at the Glenfield Hospital in Leicester and involved an hours appointment to insert a tube to monitor the pressure in the gullet which takes around 15-20 mins then a second tube (not at the same time) to monitor the PH levels for 24 hours. I then returned for an appointment to have the PH monitoring tube removed which took a few minutes so no overnight stay at all and apart from a bit os discomfort from the tubes an easy thing to get through. The results of the test came through after a week or two so I received very quick feedback. Hope that helps and feel free to ask any other questions! Good luck!
  • Posted

Day 7 after the operation and all is still going well. I've experimented with foods a bit including risotto and a small piece of sponge cake as well as the things I'd had previously as sometimes you just want something that isn't going to test you. I tried an omlette last night which was the first thing so far that has got stuck. I probably hadn't chewed it enough and suddenly felt like the last mouthful was stuck around the location of the esophagus. There was no pain, just discomfort although it took a couple of minutes for it to clear. I tried to was it down with a small amount of water (not too much as I didn't want that to back up if there was a blockage) which seemed to help. Once it had cleared I was back to normal and managed to finish my meal. I'l glad it happened as I now know what it feels like and am a bit less fearful of the effects!

I have no pain now except for the ocassional cramp like pain near to one of the entry points for the laroscopic equipment. It feels muscular so feels like it's had nothing to do with the Nissens itself.

I'm still getting a lot of fatigue and tiredness, especially yesterday trying to help out with my 1 year-olds birthday party. It really took it out of me which was probably not helped by the fact I hadn't eaten or drunk enough. I ended up with nausea as well which was a bit worrying as I really don't want to be sick but that came to nothing. Food, lots of liquids and an early night seemed to help with all of the symptoms. I'm still feeling tired today although have managed to get into the office for the first time so I'll see how I go today.

I've had a few ocassions where I've almost let myself sneeze. I'm really hoping I don't have a cold coming! It's easy to forget about trying not to sneeze when the pain has gone and you've forgotten you've had the procedure. Has anyone else caught a cold after the surgery? How did you get on with sneezing (or not sneezing)?

• Posted

BeAfter the info you sent, I had a long discussion on Monday with my surgeon. I have decided to post pone my surgery intil Nov 4th to give me time to get a sceonf opionion and to think and read more about this life altering procedure. There was just too much thrown at me to fast. I hope you are feeling better each day. I will keep you posted as to what I decide. You have been very helpful to me.
    • Posted

Thanks for update Steve hopefully the delay will help you when you eventually have it done.

I will use this opportunity to update every one about my situation.

I saw my consultant last night and he informed me that I did have a HH.

As my wife said when I told her why didn't the endoscopy find it rather than when I had the PH test !.

We discussed the matter and he said that as I was overweight, 5' 10" - 15st 9ib surgery was out of the question so he is going to give me an additional pill.

I think the weight issue is an excuse for not spending money on surgery do any of you agree.

Perhaps more worrying is that he is arranging a CT scan for next week which as got me worried he thinks I have something awful going on in my stomach. Still I take comfort from knowing I am not losing weight drastically and my stools are blood free. As my son said worry about it when it happens.

• Posted

Hi Steve, thanks for the update and it's good that you have been able to make a decision after talking to your surgeon. If you don't have all the answers you need now then postponing sounds like the best course of action for you. I'm sure over time you will be able to come to a firm decision either way.

I'll be posting another update in the next day or two but I'm at the stage now where I am pain and discomfort free. There is no bloating or diahorrea and I'm getting a bit more adventurous with what I'm eating. All in all there are no side effects at this point in time although a couple of things I have eaten have resulted in a burning feeling at the top of my stomach, a bit like acid without the actual acid. I have a follow up appointment in two weeks so hopefully I'll be able to get a bit more information as to what this could be. It's early days so could well just be from the op. I've read that after the Nissen's, if it's been done successfully there shouldn't be any possibility of acid. Time will tell! Good luck and I'd glad this discussion has helped you.

• Posted

Hi Ted, my HH wasn't found in the endoscopy or the PH test but did materialise during the Nissen's! Either they can come and go based on what the gullet is doing or it appeared between the endoscopy and my op!
    • Posted

Thanks Ben that's some more good information you have given me Ted

Its even going to answer my wife's question.

• Posted

Can anyone please tell me which tests I need to have, to get to the bottom of my dreadful pain? I know about the PH test but what else is necessary? I am seeing the gastroenterologist on Friday but am not very hopeful because when he first performed my endoscopy he wouldn't even discuss the possibility of low stomach acid. Is it correct that you have to be off medication for a week beforehand? If so, I don't know how I would cope with this.
    • Posted

It depends on the pain.

They could offer you ultrasound if the painis abdominal to assess gall bladder and liver etc.

They could offer you a stomach emptying test. They could offer you a barium swallow.

The pH test is usually combned with a manometrt test to see how well you lower oesophageal sphincter is working.

It is correct you need to be off PPIs for a few days before and during the pH test so they can measure your stomach's natural acidity. If you are finding it hard without acid suppressants it's not very likely you'll have low stomach acid as the medication would make it worse, not better.

• Posted

Saw my gastroenterologist and he said I was being over medicated! Going to try a new regime of medication and see if I can manage to reduce it to a minimal dose. Until recently I was managing on 150mg ranitidine per day and June and July were completely pain free with no medication. I only started with GERD in April, can't believe it's got so bad this quickly. I was also told I was borderline for surgery so will be weighing up my options in the next few months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.