Just had Laroscopic Nissen Fundoplication - good experience so far!

Posted , 30 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I had the LNF surgery three days ago and just wanted to tell you my experience of it all as I was terrified of the surgery and of the side effects afterwards - so much so I considered cancelling it at the last minute! I read a lot of information on the web in the days leading up to the surgey (good and bad) and was left feeling that even people with what seemed to be good experiences seemed to be having a very hard time. As it is so far I've been pleasantly surprised!

I had surgery due to a loose gullet which was confirmed via endoscopy. I opted to not be sedated so I could get the results these are then (if you're sedated you get them a few days later as you tend not to be awake enough afterwards to take in the information). The endoscopy wasn't the most pleasant experience but was over fairly quickly and something I could do again if needed without being nervous about it.

I then had all of the PH testing which confirmed acid reflux and the associated tests for swallowing that confirmed that I was a good candidate for Nissens.

Fast forward to three days ago and arrived at the hospital very nervous about it all and feeling like I wanted to back out. I'd read information on the web about bloating, not being able to burp, not being able to vomit, dumping, diahorrea, etc. and couldn't see how I could live with all of that afterwards! My surgeon was very dismissive of most of my fears (in a good way) and confirmed that not being able to vomit may be a side effect and short term bloating may be an issue but the rest of the side effects won't be an issue. I really trust the surgeon as he has always been very open with facts and statistics so was happy to go ahead with the surgery.

Feedback from the surgeon was that the surgery was very straightforward. He found a Hitaus Hernia which hadn't showed up before which he fixed as part of the fundoplication.

Since the surgey I've had a lot of discomfort in my tummy area but I've put this down to the holes that were made for the procedure rather than the fundoplication as it is very localised on the surface of my tummy. My lungs have been a bit sore since too and breathing in deeply has been uncomfortable but both issues have eased over the past three days.

In terms of eating and drinking I'd been told by the surgeon to experiment with textures to see what I can handle which is much better than the clear fluids for a week I was expecting. So far I have been able to drink water, squash, Horlicks and Decaf coffee without any issues. It takes a lot longer to get through a drink as there is a feeling inside like a funnel where liquids get backed up a bit when I swallow too much but there is no pain associated with this and it goes away after a few seconds. I managed to each half a bowl of Weetabix the morning after the surgery, moving on to custard, semolina and chicken soup over the past couple of days, none of which was strained. I'm probably not drinking enough due to how long it takes but my bladder and bowel movements are pretty normal so I'm not too worried about that at this stage. Also I am able to burp after eating and drinking. Probably not voluntary at the moment but when my body feels like it needs to it does. The same goes for passing wind too although there seems to be a lot more of that than usual!

So far I have no regrets about the surgery and feel that it was definitely the right thing to do. I expected the weeks after the surgery to be difficult but so far haven't suffered too badly. I'm self employed and work from home on a computer and am aiming to do a few hours this afternoon building up to full-time again next week, one week after the surgery. However, if I wasn't working from home I don't know if I could manage working in a office at this stage yet and definitely couldn't handle a commute via car, train, etc.

Hopefully my experience might be useful to others. I know from what I read before my surgery most of what I found on the web was negative so hopefully I can keep you updated with a positive experience!

Cheers,

Ben

6 likes, 112 replies

112 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Some very good info on this thread thanks to everyone for posting.

Could I add my bit as I feel I am at at an inbetween stage, and dont know what to do?

Acid reflux started as a funny taste in my mouth about 12 years ago

It has progressed to always bloated, nausea particularly after food, burping, somach pain at the top, burning, chest pains etc

H pylori - clear. Blood tests clear. Endoscopy diagnosis - my stomach valve has packed in.

The endoscopy doctor said I must have a lifetime prescription for acid blockers but test each to find which works best. I left with a leaflet about lifestyle changes etc. The mg strength is 80mg twice a day which is so high the chemists keep stopping me at the counter to question it

Im only 35 and im so tired and depressed from it now I struggle to get up and dont do anything any more. My question is... should i be pushing for surgery?? or just stay on the tablets?

• Posted

Hi joicy007 i have been taking tablets for the last 10 years lanzoprozole they didnt work so then was given ranitadine i take 300mg per day these do not work i take gaviscon and drink the stuff like its pop im 27 and am now having the surgery on monday to try get rid of this acid reflux/heartburn once and for all
    • Posted

did your symptoms start small and gradually get worse over the years? 

I stopped taking ranitadine years ago as it never did anything, but the ppis do seem to lower the acid, but not fully stop it.

I feel like i am just taking pills to temporarily reduce acid to slow the inevitable decline to barretts etc, so im considering asking for surgery

Good luck with your op. Let us know how you get on

• Posted

Yes my symptoms gradually got worse and i think my body has just got used to taking the tablets and the gaviscon so nothing works from talking to people on here i am glad i have decided to have the op only time will tell if it stops the acid but im hopeful my consultant basically said if i dont have the op now i will deffo need it later on down the line so if yours is unbearable to live with and you dont feel like anythings working i would go back to your consultant and ask if surgery is a option for you good luck!!
  • Posted

Hi Ben,

what were your vocal symptoms.My voice is worse in the mornings,and on talking.it improves on eating some type of cheese,increasing saliva,using a humidifier.

i do have acid reflux,and LE sphincter weakness,but acid is controlled by ppis,I may have non acidic reflux onto my vocal chords.Were your symptoms similar.who was your surgeon ,where does he work?

alon.

• Posted

junia
    • Posted

Thank you for all the information. I am applying through my GP to Guy Finch at Northampton. It is very reassuring to know how experienced this man is at this procedure. 
  • Posted

Hi ben, thanks for your post it has made me feel a tiny bit better. im hoping your still around after so long to answer some questions. Im 24 and due to have this op next week (5th june) i am absoloutley terrified of the after effects. I suffer from severe anxiety anyway but reading alot of people's horror stories on here just makes me so much worse & making me consider cancelling, even though ive been suffering really bad for 6 years now and im told this is my only option. im wondering what you felt immediatley after the op, was you in alot of pain or felt sick? i have a phobia of vomiting so im also worried about that. The other thing im wondering is how youre getting on with swallowing and stuff now, im really scared i wont even be able to swallow liquids. my last question is how long did it take you to get up and walk around? im sorry for all the questions i am just terrifed and dont know if its the right decision sad

• Posted

I got the pleasure of doing a nissen fundlopication...twice! My first experience: I only stayed one night in hospital. The first 3 days were rough: lots of acid, nor could i swallow much. I was back to work a week later. The next month I was able to eat normal meals and exercise. I did some very light weight lifting. The worst part was that I would get acid reflux and a sore stomach after dinner every night for 2 months. Finally, after 2 months I had to skip dinner, and the pain and acid finally abated permanently! I was in heaven! However, for the next year i lived my normal life except i was always worried the wrap would break. I had a hiatal hernia repair as well. Instead of eating small meals, I tended to eat larger ones. I was used to my stomach always being sore after eating, so i didnt realize my distended stomach was signaling it was being stretched too far. Finally, exactly 1 year after my surgery, i reclined and felt acid in my throat and chest. It was worse than what i experienced before the surgery. Also, i was constantly belching after every bite and sip. The gas had a difficult time coming out too.  About a week later, i felt something slip down inside me and i felt instant relief. Over a month, the other symptoms abated gradually. I went back to see my surgeon who was thnkfully still in business. An upper GI showed my stomach herniated. I was tempted to let sleeeping dogs lie, but my doctor said it would need to be fixed eventually. Here i am in the hospital recovering from a wrap re-do! No hernia, but my wrap had come apart. It was orginally 360 degrees but was now 180! So it was stitched back together. There’s less esophogap swelling this time around and i can hold more in my stomach. However, the laproscopic incision points hurt like the devil. I still havent recovered from the first surgery. Also, i have to stay 2 night in hospital this time. I just feel weaker all around this time. Whatever you do, do not over eat repeatedly! Eat half size portions, smaller servings of liquids. Your stomach may forgive you once or twice, but continue to overeat, and you will be following the path of pain.
    • Posted

I forgot to mention that after the first nissen surgery, i would get nauseous and bloated. However, it was generally passing or transitory. Sometimes i would would get weird pains or sensations, but episodes were brief. I tended to bloat quite a bit, but overall , i was able to live and eat normally. Many times, the pain and nausea would dissapear after I sat down. Standing and walking was particulary difficult the first 2 months. By month three, i felt almost like new. My stomach was always sore after dinner, so i couldn’t tell I was overeating. I thought it was part of the healing process. Boy, was I wrong! I was able to burp normally, but didnt get a chance to vomit. A good surgeon can enaure u do both safely. If you get a re-do like me, make sure the surgeon has lots of experience.
    • Posted

I would add that following both surgeries, it took some effort to expel my bladder the first 2 days. In summary, i would only recommend this surgery if you cannot live a normal life and live in a great deal of pain due to the reflux. If jt’s tolerable, it is better to bear it than deal with the uncertainties post-surgery.
  • Posted

Thank you so much for this Ben, I am due for my op next week and very nervous, I have been looking for a positive story!

• Posted

Hi Star Girl, It's been a while since I've commented but I though I'd let you know how I am now. It's been 2.5 years since the operation and I'm still very happy with the results. I'm still managing to eat everything and drink wise I'm fine with everything but I'm still having to avoid anything too fizzy which was to be expected. I was very nervous as before my op and realised the night before I really hadn't prepared myself mentally for what was going to happen which almost had me cancelling the op. The surgeon was great and reassured me it would all be fine and my quality of life would have a big improvement which has been the case. Good luck with the operation and let us know how you get on. If you have any questions let me know!

• Posted

Hi Ben

i am due to have a LNF and correction for hitaus hernia op on Tuesday and i have been looking at your blog i am scared about not being able to eat properly ever and the wind and bloating how was it for you and have thing got better after all this time?

• Posted

Hi Wendy,

I had LNF 5 years ago and was told my diet would probably have to change afterwards. I think I was told burgers, steak and fizz would probably be out. In the months after the op I was very careful to follow the advice but did have the occasional episode of food getting stuck. Although uncomfortable it always resolved itself within a few minutes after which I could carry on eating. I went back and had the wrap stretched slightly during a further endoscopy which helped. I think I was back to eating steak (remembering to chew properly) not long afterwards and I'm able to have fizz if I give the drink a stir to flatten it a bit so to be honest my diet hadn't changed at all. I have had issues with gastritis which has had more of an effect on my diet which was probably due to going on and off lanzoprazole for a number of years. I've been back on the lanzoprazole again since the LNF due to gastritis but have found the best way to avoid the symptoms of gastritis is to avoid lanzoprazole altogether! That might just be perculiar to me though as I have other unrelated health issues going on. I had a further issue last year when I coughed and felt a pain in the area of the wrap. I had mild acid again and had a barium swallow xray (endoscopy wasn't available at the time due to covid) and all appeared normal. Since then it's settled down again. The surgeon put it down to inflammation. In the past few months I have been able to burp a bit again which was unexpected. I haven't really had any bloating. I've found if I chew food properly, don't eat past the point of feeling full and don't overdo it on the fizz I don't have any issues. When I have the bloating is only mild.

I'm glad I had the op and if I had to make the decision knowing what I know now I'd definitely have it done.

Hope that helps? Feel free to ask any more questions.

Thanks,

Ben

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.