Just had mastectomy, what next?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hallo, this is my first time here. I had a mastectomy and sentinel node surgery 4 days ago. I had DCIS intermediate with 10 cm spread. I get results in 6 days. As I understand it the cancer could have become invasive via the lymph nodes and/or into the chest area. Nobody has really explained the possible further treatments. Has anyone had any experience of this or do you have further knowledge? Thanks.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I can't answer those questions. I want to tell you I have said a prayer over you. I know you must be nervous

Sherrie

• Posted

Firstly I want to say how sorry I am and that I hope you are getting good medical care at such a worrying time,

Everyone is different so your path may be different from me but I hope my story may reassure you. I had a similar diagnosis to you. After a radical mastectomy in June 2007 I was given chemotherapy (doses every 2 weeks July 2007-Oct 2007) and radiotherapy (Nov-Dec 2007). My tumour also tested positive for herceptin and oestrogen so I had herceptin Oct 2007-Oct 2008. I still take the aromatase inhibitor anastrozole which stops oestrogen production.

I feel battered by the whole experience but I am still here (!). I got help on dealing with it all from both Macmillan counsellors and The Haven which also offers complimentary therapies like acupuncture, meditation etc. Since then Maggie's Centres have started to appear - I'd have used them if I could.

Other thing I had was manual lymphatic drainage which completely cured the lymphodoema I started to get at one point.

Wishing you well in all respects, 

Caroline

• Posted

Thanks Caroline, I had good news; the cancer hadn't become invasive. No further treatment, check up in 6 months and yearly mammograms on the remaining breast. I do have oedema around the scar site and the area feels a bit uncomfortable but the surgeon said nothing to worry about. The manual lymphatic drainage sounds a good idea. Thanks for sharing your experience with me and I wish you all the best.
  • Posted

Oh this is fabulous news! Take care of yourself, won't you! Re the MLD you need to quiz any practitioners about their training and qualifications  according to the lady who helped me - some people have only done a few weekends of training,
  • Posted

Very best of luck! The first session of MLD made me feel a bit peculiar (like 10% of flu) and I'd wished I got someone to drive me home. I was peeing like a horse too for a couple of hours after!  The subsequent sessions were much easier though. I had health insurance and got my MLD practitioner through my consultant and the insurance paid so that was good. She said that she was training my lymph fluid to take new pathways, a bit like a road being closed and widening a back road to be a permanent diversion....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.