Just had MRI results after 15th Pilonidal sinus surgery and it's still there.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi to everyone.  I have just had the results back from my last MRI what was for the 15th operation on my sinus, and it's stil there. 

I have had the sinus for the last 7 years and I just wanted to ask if it's normal to have this many operations and to still be "fobbed off" when I go to see the hospital. My surgeoen didn't even turn up to my last outpatients appointment and the junior doctor that was there didn't even have a clue about my condition, he even thought that it was my first surgery.  

I'm not a medical expert but surely if the previous operations didn't work they should consider a different option as it obviously wasn't successful. The surgeries have left me with nerve damage as well as numerous other conditions that have stemmed from this and have ruined my life since and for the forseeable future. 

I'm sorry if it sounds long winded but is there anything I can do to make the hospital take me seriously? I don't know how much more I can take and all I want is to be spoke to by someone that actually cares about my condition and wants to make it better, not just get the surgery over with so they can get onto the next patient.

Any help would be amazing as I am at a dead end and I just don't know what to do apart from just end it all the easy way..

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi all

I have good news!

I have reached the end of this ordeal!

It has taken me 8 months for the whole process.  

It all started in Sept 2015 with a large anal abscess which was drained, this formed a fistula,  then in December I had another operation for insertion of  one seton, this was review and tightened in Februry 2016, and the seton was removed in April after it had basically grown through all the tissue and muscle, and became superficial enough for the fistula to be laid open.  It has now healed shut,  I still have a large scar but this will close properly in time.  I am still careful not to sit to roughly or put too much pressure as the scar is still fragile for about a year but ITS HEALED!  I am back at work and life is getting back to normal. 

Looking back I now understand that the seton is probably the best way to get rid of this as it grows through all the tissue including the anal sphincters and once it is superficial enough the laying open was the best for me as it heals completely.  There was alot of sloughy tissue once the wound was laid open but that dissapeared with all the dressings and became clean.  The seton was tightened/shortened every 2 months up to the point it was superficial enough. 

My saving grace I think is I am NOT diabetic, otherwise this could have played out differently. So diet has played a huge role in my healing. No fast foods, all "clean" healthy food, avoided preserved foods and limited my carbohydrate intake.  More nuts seeds and roughage;  avoid constipation. avoid sugars.  Basically sensible eating.  

All I can say is it takes alot of patience and keeping your head together, financially it took its toll too.  Fortunatley I had some major saving as a back up otherwise I would have been in deep sh*te.  

And of course I was treated in the NHS,  my colerectal surgeon and the team was amazing. They needed alot of patience with me as I am not the easiest person.  So ask the right questions and need to trust the surgeons. Find out if they work in Private hospitals too as most surgeons work in HNS and Private healthcare. Find out reviews about them.  This helps make decisions. 

I hope this will never come back. It has been an ordeal. 

Having been a patient I can be a better nurse too.

• Posted

Hi

Thats great that your ordeal is over from this problem... what a relief for you?

I am looking for a treatment as i have had this 10 times since 2011 but more so 5 times in the past 7 months sad

Can i ask where and who did your treatment through the NHS??

Would you recommend?

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.