Just had my first attack

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone. I am a 48 year old female and just had my first acute pancreatitis attack. Wow! Ouch!! My pain started on Monday evening, but I didn't go to ER until Wednesday afternoon. They did an ultrasound on my gall bladder & CT of my abdomen. Inflamed pancreas of course. After pain meds & fluids I was dismissed & told to call a surgeon for a follow up asap. The surgeon said we could just let it take its course, or do more tests, it was up to me. Well I chose more tests cause I have NO IDEA what I'm going through!! Welp!! I'm very glad I found this page!!

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Let it take its course? Like, you die? Pancreatitis is nothing to joke around with and it can kill you. You need to get your doctor to get to the underlying cause of your AP and treat that... not "let it run its course." Silliest thing I've ever heard. Is it your gallbladder? Too much alcohol? Genetics? You need those answers.

• Posted

I'm surprised they let you home so quickly , I am having tests to see what caused my , severe acute pancreatitis but sometimes they can't find a cause ,

I hope you feel better soon x

• Posted

I only spent about 8 hours in the hospital after my first acute attack, but I live only about 8 minutes away, and my doctors are excellent with follow up.  I didn't leave the hospital, however, with out instructions to go on a clear liquid diet for a week and to follow up ASAP with my GP.  She told me basically the same...they consider it "idiopathic" because the cause isn't really identifiable.  But alcohol and caffeine are two things you must avoid from this point on in your entire life.  The other, is, as you go off the liquid diet, introduce soft foods slowly, same with spices and herbs, but try to keep your daily intake of "fat" to 20grams or less.  That means try to use no-fat options wherever possible.  Nuts and things like cheese are out.  Battered, fried foods are out.  Processed foods - you need to be really careful with, it's better to make things from scratch at home so you know what you are eating.   I found the website Pancreasfoundation.org to be extremely helpful.  You can even download a cookbook with recipes.

I recovered from that first attack and went just over a year before a flare-up about a month ago that I still haven't recovered from, although I'm hopeful.  I have been to a yoga clas a couple times, and I've been very grateful for that, as it helps me cope with the continuing symptoms that are stubbornly not responding to my careful diet.  But I do have the support of my Dr and the GI she recommended to me.  Plus this forum.   It helps to know there ARE others going through the same thing.

• Posted

Thank you very much for everything!! Yes it does help to have others to talk to.
  • Posted

Hi glenna, I'm glad i found this page too.  Did the tests show gallstones? Is removing the GB the next move?  I'd probably opt to get rid of the GB.  Why wait? Hope you are feeling better.

• Posted

Hi Judy. No, my gall bladder ultrasound came back fine. Tomorrow I get an EGD to look on the inside. Hope you feel better too. Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.