Just had my jaw washed out because of osteoarthritis .

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi, I'm not even sure if I've come on to the right site, but after having 2 half knee replacements because of worn cartilage caused by osteoarthritis , , which I have in several other places I might add, I had my jaw washed out yesturday in the hope it will give me a bit longer before more major surgery, . I'm 54 by the way, any way my question is has anybody else on here had this   Procedure , only I'm in absolute agony  and don't no what to do with my self, I've taken co codamol and  an anti inflammatory , and no change, any ideas. Would love to hear from  you, . 😞

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

How long ago did you have the surgery?

I have had finger joint replacements and the pain took about a week to subside and I was on pretty powerful meds which I was given by the hospital when I was discharged. If you are still in pain I would go back and see your surgeon as that doesn't sound right especially if they gave you good painkillers when you left hospital.

• Posted

Hi only yesturday at 4.30. They just washed the joint out. When my knees were done obviously I stayed in and the pain relief was a bit better. But as this is just a wash out, they did say it would be painfull ,but just to use the meds I already take for my knees, as that wasn't long ago I still take. But they don't seem to work on my face, I just don't no what to do, 
    • Posted

Go back to the doctor and say you are in terrible pain. Didn't they give you a contact number if you had problems
  • Posted

Hi Mandy

That sounds awful and unexpected. If the pain killers aren't covering it I think you should either go to someone who can prescribe something stronger. Or contact the ward, hospital or surgeon who did the washout. 

I first posted on this site when I was in much more pain than expected and it was so helpful.

Let us know how you go.

Keena

• Posted

Hi kikeena, thank you for comment, yes these sites are really good I'm usually on the knee replacement forum but thought that wouldn't cover this bit, I'm getting so fed up with hurting everywhere it seems never ending. I'm on the same pain relief that I take for my knees , as they were both this year, so I'm taking 8 30/500 co-codimol and three of the prescription   Ibuprofens . So should cover it, have dried ice, but that made it pulse, so eventually came to bed, and wrapped my quilt round my  face, slept a bit, don't think it feels quite as bad so far this morning , so will see how I go as the day goes on. 😞
  • Posted

Hello mandy. I also have osteoarthritis and at one point the pain got really bad so my GP prescribed Nefopam (also known as Acupan) for me. It apparently works differently to other pain medication and it's safe to take with your other tablets. It's not an opiate so there's less risk of addiction and it's given regularly for post op pain and to women in labour. I've found it really useful and does help my pain.
    • Posted

Thanks I've written it down, I'm also on thiroxatine will it be ok with that?
    • Posted

Can't see why not but if there's a problem your Doctor will discuss it with you. Shouldn't be a problem 
    • Posted

Ok thanks I'll look in to it, can't do anything till tomorrow now, you never no maybe I might be over the worst of it by then. That would be nice, certainly don't want another night like last night that's for sure, although I might well get on
    • Posted

It's horrible being in pain especially at night. Hope you start to feel better very soon. Take care.
    • Posted

Exactly it's the worst time, I haven't got over my knees yet, next year I have to start on my left shoulder and elbow, I think I'm falling apart,😟I don't no where it's all come from.
  • Posted

Hello Mandy+

I had an injection for my knee to releave pain. It's working well and I will have surgery next year. Could that weork for your jaw ?

Alpine

• Posted

Hi, no wasn't an option, I have osteoarthritis in it, and it needed washing out , then hopefully if it does the trick I can have it done every 2 or 3 years, question is after this do I really want to, the only alternative now is to have the joint replaced, which they are reluctant to do, a because of my age54 b it can so easily go wrong and leave me looking like I've have a stroke, there words not mine, so I'm not ready to go down that road, so I'm really hoping this will work, and won't need doing again for a very loooooong time. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.