Just had my prostrate removed two days ago,,feel pretty rough, hope i made the right decision......

Posted , 9 users are following.

robotic prostrate removal

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Steve,

I am 51, and was a gleason 6. It took about 18 months to diagnose, so I felt like we did active surveilance from the start. I am about two weeks in front of you. I had mine removed on the 7th of March. I had the catheter in for 10 days. That was annoying. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water. I was not prepared for when they took the catheter out. They fill your bladder with saline water because they have to see you pee before you leave the office. It just flowed and flowed with no control. The day the removed the catheter I had almost no control, but I was surprised that night that I did not have any issues. So my catheter has been out for about 10 days now. When setting I have no problems. When I stand or walk, I tinkle. I am using about 2 max depends a day. I am about ready to start trying a pad only in the day time and see how that works. I have to return to my office job in about 10 days, so I need to prepare. My only big problem has been intermittent pain in my pennis head, although it is getting less frequent. My pennis does have feeling, but does not get hard. I have had an orgasm without penetration (better than nothing biggrin I am happy with my decission for removal. I guess I'll tell you the same thing I keep telling myself...hang in there. If we are cancer free, it will only get better from here!!!

• Posted

thanks, the catheter is really annoying, i am suprised with the amount of pain i am expericeing, but i was cut 6 or 7 times in my belly, thanks for the update,....
    • Posted

The catheter was the most difficult part of it all for me also. My wife ( nurse by trade for 30+ years tried her magic but all I could do was try not to whine about it. Dam thing hurt more each day. The day it comes out will be beer time for sure !
    • Posted

Were you not prescribed pain meds for such pain? Usually meds are prescribed for bladder pain and I suspect, catheter discomfort as well.
    • Posted

It isn't just a matter of pain I think. The problem is one of biofilm and urethritis - antibiotics (azithromycin?) may be necessary. When the catheter is taken out you will usually be given gentamicin or in some countries ciprofloxacin (not usually in US or UK due to potential neurological side effects) and that should deal with the problem at that time. If it is getting worse (like Hoser's was!) I would speak to the doctor and get antibiotics.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.