just had operation !

Posted , 5 users are following.

just to let everyone know , i`ve just had a micro disectomy (had it but cant spell it) .went into hospital (russells hall-dudley,west mids)on monday,had surgury at 13.15 , came round at 15.15....felt great , no pain anywhere , had sausage jacket potatoe and beans at 16.30 , seriously...felt great! . didn`t experiance any pain from op whatsoever , had morphine on tap if required (at the press of a button) but that wasn`t needed ,up out of bed next morning with physio`s for assesment ,walked down corridor , up and down stairs....no pain at all..i was amazed,and even more so when they said i could go home . didn`t require any aids for at home (raised toilet seats , toilet frames , perching stool etc) so everything great.consultant (mr ahmed...superb surgeon and nice chap to boot!) did stipulate that i had to go home in an ambulance,lying down....you can walk normally and stand ,but you arn`t supposed to sit for more than 20 mins over the next couple of weeks ,so ambulance it was. next day i walked further than i`ve walked in the last 6 months (although had to stop myself going to far) and everything was back to normal....still no pain at all . my story began on dec 14 07....major pain until about mid jan...pills helped but not great......guess you all know how the pain side goes........i just wanted to tell you all that from my experience , there`s nothing about having the operation (micro discectomy) that should worry you...i`ve not been in hospital before and don`t like blood or needles , but always said that when the pains bad enough i`d willingly have an op......and it happened.it`s now saturday 14 june so i`m on day 5.......life`s so good , just get the slightest burning sensation when i perhaps move and pull on the stitches but it`s honestly nothing , it may sound stupid to some people who havn`t experianced this back problem but this operation changes your life....you have no leg pain and you can walk....p.s this took 6 months to sort after having epidural on feb 12 waiting 6 weeks...trying to return to work...and experiancing unbelivable pain , going back on sick , losing my job (that was bad time for me)seeing consultant privatley (approx £90) and having the op 5 weeks later . now i see light at the end of the tunnel...feel great , no pain at all , check up at doc`s this coming week. look , i typed this,not as a story , but as i know what your going through , struggleing to sleep and getting to the toilet in the early weeks, can`t walk more than a few hundred yards,months after it occurred . and i know it drags even the most upbeat person down,and effects people around you....i know , i just wanted you to know how brilliant that op. was for me...and if your worried about it.....don`t be....as soon as you come round you can`t help but smile!! :D

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi paul, so good to hear that everything went well with op. I myself have been told by consultant that will probably need operation (very nervous) so good to hear a good outcome. :D must be geat to be painfree. Hope you keep well :D
  • Posted

Hi Paul

Please to hear your success story, I am now six weeks post op and mine was also a success.

Although you feel great don't over do it! I did despite advice and had a couple of days when I really thought I had blown it (I spent too much time sitting with visiting relatives!)

I'm hoping to go back to work next week once I have surgeon's green light.

Hope you continue to improve!

Donna smile

• Posted

Dear Paul,

Great to hear your success.

I had a 2 level spinal fusion on 1/2/08 and like you its been brilliant, its a shame you have to wait so long.

Everyday I do well and appreciate all the things I can now do compared to before and having no pain is fantastic.

Still, take it steady, as I did a walk recently quite far and I didn't feel it until the next day and it lasted a few days, but good luck to you.

Regards

Raindrop

• Posted

it was refreshing to read your article, i have had two steroid injections but neither worked, it has been suggested i now have an op, i guess i'm a little nervous but your accounts may have persuaded me, keep well Michael
  • Posted

Hey Paul

Just wanted to say keep up the good work and keep getting better, glad to hear its all gone well for u and can I just re-iterate to anyone reading this, the op is nothing to worry about, it really isnt

Keep well :-)

No Regrets Russ

• Posted

Glad your op was a success!!! Mine is a simliar story - started 13 Dec 07 and in absolute agony with it and unable to walk or stand for long. After months of osteopath, physio etc I had an MRI scan and saw my consultant on 12 May. I had a micro discectomy on 16 May and would recommend to anyone. I was up and walking the next day and have been back at work for two weeks now. I do get a few twinges but I'm careful not to overdo it.

If anyone is having the same problem I would recommend this op!!

Sara

• Posted

Hi Paul just wanted to thank you for posting your experience after your op, i hope it has continued. i will know tomorrow the results of my mri and the surgeon has already told me he believes i have a large prolapse and will need surgery. it is frightening, but want to get my life back your experience has made me feel very positive if i have to undergo surgery. thanks once again all the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.