Just had reward letter and confused

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi just got my reward letter and confused by the comments. 2 years ago at initial pip review I was awarded 12 point for mobility and 8 for daily living.

this time I have the same for mobility ie 12 points but only 6 points for DL. The interviewer states that she thinks I can dress and undress unaided and I lost 2 points as I’d previously been marked as unable to dress or undress 2 years ago. The report just says “I decided you can dress or undress unaided” 

i dont understand how how she came to this conclusion, at interview I was 8 weeks post total knee replacement which had gone badly wrong and I’m even less able than I was 2 years ago.

whilst I’m not desperate for the daily living pip, I have used the monies to get work done in my house and garden that I’m not able to do anymore.

i just don’t understand how she made this conclusion, my wife and sometimes kids very frequently help me dress especially socks and shoes. 

I felt at the interview that she talked at me a lot telling me how she thought I was and was happy if I agreed but when I disagreed she’d say well that’s not how we take the information down.

is it worth appealing?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Only you can decide whether you request the Mandatory Reconsideration or not, only you know how your conditions affect you. If you do then you have 28 days to request this. You'll need to put it in writing stating what you disagree with and where you think you should have scored those points and why. If there are any lies told in the report then you should avoid mentioning these in the MR request because DWP won't be interested in any lies that may have been told by the health care professional.

Did you send evidence to support your claim stating the help you need to dress and why you need this help?

Do bare in mind that when requesting the MR they will look at the whole award again so you do risk losing everything you already have. It could also be increased but most MR decisions remains the same. Only 17% of MR decisions change. Most have to take it to Tribunal. The whole process could quite possibly take in excess of 1 year. Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Posted

Just a word of caution, a couple of years ago my husband lost the mobility component of PIP. He was obviously worse but the HA said he could walk normally and did so into the assessment. In fact she came to our home. As this was completely wrong we felt confident about asking for a MR, and he lost the daily living component as well. We were unaware that this could happen. We had to go through a nerve wracking tribunal just to get back to where he started, daily living only.
  • Posted

I was awarded zero points citizen advice wrote my mandatory reconsideration they still awarded me 0 points went through tribunal got awarded standard rate care and low rate mobility coming from zero points  to 10 points on each you have nothing to lose also I was discriminated against in the first place as my claim was through mental health reasons.
    • Posted

Hi,

This is not true when it comes to the Mandatory Reconsideration, you risk losing everything. It has been known for people to lose everything. Very recently i heard of someone requesting the MR because they received Enhanced mobility and no daily living....MR decision came back and they lost everything.

Once the MR decision has come back, if you have to take it to Tribunal then there's no risk because if a Tribunal were planning on lowering or taking away an existing award they would have to warn you first. This then gives the claimant the chance to cancel the Tribunal and keep their existing award.

• Posted

Yes they do say that unless you have supporting evidence to back up your claim if you have that you will have nothing to fear 9 times out of 10 tribunals do the right thing look at the facts and statistics first before commenting negative comments
    • Posted

Who's commenting negative comments? sorry i don't understand.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.