Just had surgery in pain and depressed

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hey everyone my name is Keith. I just had ORIF surgery on 8/30. Im still in a lot of pain and super depressed. I do have some support but I'm so depressed. I know I'm in for a long haul and don't know if I can do it. Then again what choice do I have. I have my first post op doc appointment this Monday. If anyone has any words of encouragement it would be greatly appreciated...thank you

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Keith!

I had orif on 20th August and gave birth on 24th so believe me I know what depression feels like with having no use of my right leg and having a newborn plus a 6 year old at home!

You need to remember that their are people worse off than you - people that have lost limbs etc.

It's hard at first but it will get better! I've been in a non weight baring cast for 4 weeks tomorrow with 2 weeks left before I get my boot.

You say you have some support which is good because you will need it. You forget how much you took having both legs for granted before!

Find something to do every day - for example reading a book or watching a film.

It seems horrible now but it will get better you need to think of the end product as such maybe make a list of the things you want to do once your healed.

Take care.

• Posted

Hey mandy...

Wow congrats on ur new baby....can't imagine what that must be like. Yea I go for first. Post op appointment Monday not sure what to expect. This site is great. It has really helped me already. I will take ur suggestions. This is like a bad dream. Anyway if u could tell me what to expect on my first appointment id be grateful. Thanks again for ur reply

• Posted

Hey, well I'm in the UK not sure if your abroad? I didn't have my first appointment until after 3 weeks and was given an X Ray and then told another 3 weeks non weight baring in my cast before I can have a boot.

Good luck and let us know how it goes

• Posted

Hi Keith,

Hang in there, it's VERY early days yet and any orthopaedic surgery is never pain free initially.

You have to keep up with your pain killer regime in order to keep it on an even plateau, including anti inflammatory tablets.

It also pays to ice it and keep it elevated above the heart line when in bed, so make like a ski slope with the highest point at the heel for the bed and stack cushions up under your legs when sat on the sofa.

Also believe it or not being depressed about your situation actually makes the pain worse, so you have to (as hard as it is) try to keep yourself occupied whilst incapacitated, phone calls to friends, Internet, tv, you tube, quizes puzzles etc.

If you don't think your pain killers are strong enough, you need to chase that up with your doctor.

The thing is, although it seems an eternity, you've had surgery to fix a problem and it will get better but you have to keep yourself occupied. ....trust me, I know.

• Posted

Hey jean,

The pain killers they gave me aren't really taking the edge off. I have first post op appoint Monday so I hope they give me something stronger. Thank u so much for ur reply. This site has been a God send. It really has helped my depression. I'll be posting as time goes by. So please stay in touch. Thanks again...keith

• Posted

I had ORIF surgery on 8/17 so we are in the same boat. The pain should get better, but try to stay on top of it with the medications you have been prescribed. I have had days where I am very depressed and it is hard to see the light at the end of this tunnel. Hang in there. I was doing much better and then had another bout of pain and fell right back into that depression. It helped for me to call a good friend and just talk about my worries. Also tap into any of that support that you have. Hope it gets better for you soon!

• Posted

Hey Mary. Thanks For ur reply. That's cool we're in same boat. This site has has helped me a great deal. I have first post op appointment Monday looking forward to it. I'm still in a non weight bearing cast obviously. Anyway thanks again for ur reply. Take care stay in touch...thanks keith

• Posted

Hi, Keith. This whole thing is a new ecperience. I had trimalleoar fracture of right ankle on 8/14. ORIF surgery was delayed until 8/25 and I was put on antibiotics. I am 3 weeks 1 day past surgery. Everyone has a different pain level so you should definitely talk with your doctor. I am in US, but luckily I had bad pain only 5 days taking Norco. The loss of independence is hard for me. I had a little breakdown about 2 weeks ago. This is also a very mentally challenging situation. Take care and I wish you well.
  • Posted

Hi I know how depressed I was after my accident and 4 surgeries I live alone and believe me I know depression I started a journal and iOS now 5 and a half years I'm still in pain and swollen I'm looking at my 5 th surgery which will be a total ankle replacement I'm scared I know how lonely and depressed I was I wish I knew about this support group back when I first had the accident I'm here now because I'm going to go through this again soon. Please know your not alone like I was I'm here and so are many other wonderful people who know how you feel. I'm here if you need to talk you are not alone. Debi

• Posted

Hi Keith. For context - 52 who suffered a nasty Pilon fracture April 7. Needed two surgeries a plate and 5 screws to but Humpty back together again. Good news 1st, 5 months later, I'm bipedal again, moving around with just a little stiffness (mainly going down stairs), some swelling at night, but very little pain. Of course, everyone's injury and healing are different, but the 1st 2 1/2 months after surgery, the pain was so intense and constant, I too wasn't sure what I would do. No sleep so it dragged on, what seemed even longer days. Overnight was especially hard. No amount of TV, books, video games would help. Family tries to help, but unless you have been through this, it's hard to understand. So why am I saying this? Hang in there. IT WILL GET BETTER. And when it starts, you'll make some great leaps and bounds (and I understand the pun). Words of advise, follow your doc and PT's orders. Take it slow and steady and do not rush it. And when you feel down, come to this site. I found it very helpful because there is always someone who experienced what you have and has suggestions to help you out. It helped me and even being pretty much "back on my feet," I read the posts and offer my experiences in the hope that it helps others (as it did me). So I hope this helps a little bit now in the dark times. Just trust me when I say, it WILL get better.

• Posted

At my first appointmentioned, cast was sawed off and a new cast was put on. Keep your foot higher than your heart. That height will help to relieve swelling, numbness and pain. I used two stacked pillows in bed or on couch. A friend lent DVD collections to me (Breaking Bad was good!) Hang in there! Best to you!
  • Posted

Remember this is temporary.  You will gain your independence.  I felt this way, too.  I think it's normal to go up and down.  If you are 2 weeks post op and non weight bearing I would l think the pain should be less.  I would ask the doctor.  Elevation and ice is the key.  Try to find something to do to take your mind off of  it.  I took up crocheting (which probably won't be your thing) and made multiple baby blankets.  Try some exercises that you can do sitting or lying.  Wishes for a speedy recovery!

• Posted

Hi Keith,

I had the first reply above. I hope that you are getting through your 3rd week now okay. Keep your foot elevated above your heart. That helps. I was in my regular shoe all weekend. Slow steps. When I was where you were at, this would have seemed impossible to even imagine again. Know that you are in the roughest stretch right now, but time will heal it. My surgery, was June 15th and was triple ankle arthrodesis, a toe plate and tendon repair. Hang in there! Take each day, each week, one at a time. It will get better. Find a favorite TV show, if you have access. Take Care. Yvonne.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.