Just had this a year or so--are the changes likely permanent?

Posted , 8 users are following.

So pleased to have found your site.  I would welcome input as I'm a bit lost with this.  My symptoms clearly indicate a clinical diagnosis, but my OB-GYN's won't officially diagnose and treat without a biopsy (I'm in the USA where that seems to be standard tx, likely to avoid liability issues).  I don't want a biopsy because I have medication and lidocaine allergies, and that tissue is already thin and uncomfortable.  I have been using over the counter cortisone cream the last few weeks since my doctors think that this is what I have.  I have several autoimmune issues (e.g., Hashimoto's, Celiac, and multiple autoantibodies present, inc. anti-Smith, anti-centrome, etc.).  I am newly post-menopausal and have been on bioidentical creams, including estrogen for a few years. The greatest issue for me is sex.  About a year ago it suddenly became uncomfortable (though I was unaware that this was my likely diagnosis until recently) and initially doctors thought it was menopause.  Now, in spite of adequate estrogen, sex is uncomfortable to almost impossible due to vaginal narrowing and thin skin that tears easily.  My question is whether this will likely improve if I can move this into remission.  How could so many changes have occurred unnoticed until this year and suddenly affect me possibly permanently?  I am really worried about not being able to function in this arena which is so important in my relationship.  Have others had any similar experiences?

1 like, 108 replies

108 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Suzanne, It is tough for you however there can be light at the end of the tunnel. LS wouldnt have narrowed your vagine - only the entrance(vulva) the discomfort within could be because you are tense and are going into spasm, Do try and relax. I hope you have talked to your loved one about the problem you have and use a LOT of lubricant. (Perhaps penetration isnt the only way to have a fulfilling sex life)

I was diagnosed without a biopsy - I am in the UK, it was the changes to the anatomy that was the  significant factor

I flare up if anxious /stressed /annoyed, so i try and keep tranquil and smile as much as possible. On the various threads on this site you will find a mass of helpful hints on how to feel as comfortable as possible- from protecting your skin with a barrier cream to prevent urine from burning the skin, dabbing dry not wiping using non coloured non chemical lavatory paper, no smellies in the bath or on the undercarriage ,pure white cotton knickers- pants- going commando wearing skirts, no tights

Often the onset is when there is a sudden change in hormone levels combined with other factors, stress- health changes- life style changes

The steroid treatment is with high potency steroid ointment or creams used daily - a pea sized amount - or according tothe medics prescription. I am not sure you can buy the Dermovate or your equivilent over the counter. Some are changing their diets or even fasting to boos the immune system I use LOADS of moisturising creams to keep the skin soft and pliable- Good luck try not to worry and get tense

Best Wishes

SueDM

• Posted

Hi Sue, Thank you so much for your suggestions--I greatly appreciate them!  I hope that you and your car are okay!  --Suzanne
    • Posted

Thank you The insurance company are coming to assess the damage tomorrow, I am fine but rather nervous about driving along that road again as there are still a lot of overhanging branches from very tall trees - they are ash trees and we have a problem in the UK with ash die back

I hope all goes well with you and you find your consultant more accepting of your wishes - it is after all YOUR body. I had a HUGE fight with my GP  who "knew better" than my consultant and refused to prescribe the ointment for me- then she took my blood pressure - surprise surprise it was VERY high! i have now changed practices, but not before I got my  way!

I use Diprobase as a washing agent and moisturiser- it is so good I also use for the rest of me and it smoothes out my wrinkles wonderfully!

• Posted

Thank you.  I will check to see if the Diprobase is available in the USA.  Good luck with the insurance company.  So strange how we can go along minding our own business and have things like that happen!  No wonder you are avoiding that road!  
  • Posted

Dear Suzanne,

I'm sorry to have to hear such a familiar story from you.

First off, both remission and sex are still possibilities at your age, in my experience. LS varies hugely. We have very young women on this forum who've had really fast atrophy and fusing.

Over-the-counter cortisone cream won't get you there, except maybe much later as maintenance in remission. Most of us (except the pioneers in alternative therapies and the rare woman who can't handle the ointment) are prescribed the most potent corticosteroid ointment/cream which we use in such tiny quantities that a 50 g. tube lasts a whole year. This is forever. People used to worry about it thinning the skin, but there's a new study that disputes that. Anyway, when we're fighting pain, burning, itching, and loss of vulvar architecture, the standard way seems to me the best way.

My personal take is you should find an ob/gyn or a dermatologist who will know by looking that you have LS. You're right to be worried that the biopsy migh be difficult to heal. We had a woman on here this week who did heal hers with manuka honey and hot soaks.

My LS started when I was a baby. I had tears in my perineum and frequent yeast infections throughought my twenties and was pretty much celibate through a bad marriage in my thirties. But in my forties I had remission and plenty of great sex.

I had a huge flare-up at menopause and was not diagnosed. I noticed the partial fusing of my clitoral hood and figured I hadn't been scrubbing enough with soap. I could not have taken a worse direction. That and seven years of celibacy as a Buddhist. But after I met someone in my fifties I found sex was possible and enjoyable for a few years until I was 61, when I had a catastrophically bad flare and had to give up sex. That would not have happened if I'd been treated before. The flare finally got me diagnosed by an astute young gynae and prescribed Clobetasol.

I expect you'll hear from others with LS who have the same auto-immune disorders you have. There's definitely a pattern. I only have psoriasis, which is what I thought LS was for so long. My psoriasis is 100% clear, but the LS is just kept from being uncomfortable or progressing fast with the cream.

You'll find lots in past discussions (below) on diet, clothing, washing, etc. here.

Basically never use soap down there, wear loose cotton panties and loose trousers, eat a healthy diet (you probably have to do that already). I've found chocolate to be the worst thing for it, but that might be just me.

I hope you'll keep coming here and that you'll get straightened out and back to making love comfortably.

• Posted

Whoops a couple of typos - i had a phone call in the middle of my reply to you- a tree branch fell on to my car yesterday causing me to shake uncontrollably for a bit  and a huge excess payment on my car insurance- I was driving the car at the time!!

Vagina  - not vagine

boost not boos

SueDM

• Posted

are you ok sue?

that must have been a terrible shock? 

• Posted

Thank you Marey for your concern- I did shake my way home - then the over riding thought was how very lucky I was - if the branch had gone through the windscreen I wouldnt be quite so relaxed....or just TOO relaxed and awaiting a coffin!

It is the 3rd Thing that has happened in 3 months - I had a hit and run while I was having lunch with a friend - that caused a lot of damage to the passenger door Last week a screw into the tyre..that could have been from my garage or drive. so now I am content- for the time being- i just hope i DON'T have to pay the £250 execss and the owner of the tree funds that for me!

Interestingly I have had to use the Dermovate once more!

• Posted

gosh that must have been a real trauma sue...and a hit and run.

was the tree rotten and should the owner have removed it? or was it the result of a weather thing?

so remind me....were you not using any medical products but as a result of this trauma you've had to resume? is dermovate a moisturiser or is it also a steroid....i only use chemical free products so am not familiar. please would you fill me in as it seems you maybe feeling you've had a bit of a relapse?

how to help you restore your former beautiful calmness.....thinking brrrrrh whirrrrrrrrl buzzzzzz....aha ...a joke....well not forgetting my vision of you in the corner of your local store behind the packing cases having a good scratch!!!!!!!!!!!! and doing the itch dance whilst no one is looking (you hope!!!!!!!) here s rather a sweet one:

what do you get when you cross an elephant with two goldfish.........?

Answer:

A pair of swimming trunks!!

ok thats it for now, thinking of you take care

love marey xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Posted

I am mostly symptom free these days - however I use the lovely moisturiser Diprobase  to wash (everywhere now) and leave it on to protect the undercarriage. I use Clobetasol 0.5mg (potent steroid)as and when I have an itch or burning for a day or so until I forget which means I am symptom free. These occasions always follow an upset of one sort or another. Foodstuff nor alcohol make any difference to my condition. I probably only use  the steroid once a month or less these days

The hit and run was VERY annoying -but I wasnt in the car at the time it was parked neatly minding its own business, waiting for me to finish nattering with a friend over lunch in an up market cafe in a local (garden) nursery

The insurance company are going after the owner of the copse where ther are several very tall ash trees. It is unclear why the branch fell as the weather was calm - it had rained  locally by the state of the road

I am a past master of the ostrich cure!( ie: to  bury head in sand) Not me scratching any more  I just dance!!!

• Posted

Hi Suedm, 

I was just wondering I use Clobetasol 0.05mg not 0.5mg you mention.  Is yours a type error or are you using a much stronger ointment than I am.  Mine works for me but I was wondering if it ever didn't would I be able to use a stronger ointment.

• Posted

The box and the 30g tube says 1 g clobetasol 0.5mgm propionate 0.05%w/w The dispensers label states Dermovate 0.05%...hopefully that is clear?

• Posted

gosh thats a big difference...is there something going on here with different prescriptions?
    • Posted

Hi Suedm and Marey, seems I misread my label got the % and mg mixed up.  They are the same. Sorry.
  • Posted

I forgot the most important thing, Suzanne. Use whatever oily cream/ointment you favor to keep your vulva moist and protected from urine. That's the one thing I wish I'd been doing my whole life. I have local women who make herbal salves and creams, so they do the trick for me. Even Vaseline is better than nothing.
    • Posted

Are there natural creams/ointments that work.  Would coconut oil work (maybe too messy)?  
    • Posted

hi suzanne,

i just apply cream if i flare...anything natural is of help....eg extra virgin olive oil in a pretty jar in the fridge....watch it change colour ...goes a beautiful green..then yellow...seems different every time i open the fridge door. i've been using cream a little more recently as have been cheating with sugar levels....almost just to see what i can get away with!

liked coconut oil...but as you ask...was just thinking about the vulval/vaginal biome and maybe therefore coconut oil is best reserved for treating infections. anyone know if it helps with thrush?

• Posted

Thanks Marey--Good quality olive oil is a great suggestion!  --Suzanne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.