Just left physical therapy no improvement

Posted , 14 users are following.

I just left the phsyical therapist and I'm still stuck at 88 to 90 ROM it's been weeks now with no improvement. I almost started crying. I go to the gym everyday when I don't go to PT. I'm depressed can't sleep even though i went to my GP and got help with the depression the pills do help but the sleep pills don't. I have a doc appointment Thursday the 30 with the surgeon and fear he's going to MUA. I'm have no more time off from work I have go back on Monday im just so worried

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Try not to worry - yes easy to say I know but it will get better it's just slower for some of us I had a fairly good bend but a lousy straight leg so had to work on that.

Don't forget to take your meds before you exercise take it slow and steady stretch ice drink lots off water (yes I know but you'll get more exercise hobbling to the loo) massage rest relax sleep when you can one thing that works for me is keeping a diary. Don't forget we have all learnt to walk and talk once ! Take care and keep in touch with the forum

• Posted

Kirk it all good. You didn't say how many weeks post op you were. I just left PT also. My bend was 108○ without pain. They told me to put a rolled up totowel under my leg , just above the knee and lift my left to a straight level hold for five seconds and repeat this five X three reps. More if I can. I am feeli g so much better about my knee. I am walking, standing and moving more. Still stiff in the A.M. so just hang on in there and don't be too hard on yourself.
  • Posted

Some people have excess scar tissue which makes it very difficult to get the bend.  the sleeping is a big problem, and I sometimes wonder if I will ever sleep properly again. It seems unconnected with pain really.  Getting the bend is really only achieved by a lot of pushing right up to the point where you can only just stand the pain.  going to the gym is excellent for building up muscle, but unless you are really pushing the bend it won't happen.  you may be one of the people who has a lot of scar tissue in which case I believe they recommend a MUA or some people have mentioned having the scar tissue cut with an arthroscopic intervention. . .I've never got beyond 120 and I think I should have pushed a bit harder to begin with.  The pain just got on top of me. . . I know I'm a bit of a coward. . . 
  • Posted

I know exactly how you're feeling. I'm about 23 weeks post op with a bend stuck at 90 and extension at -30. I have been through everything from extensive physio, cpm machines you name it. I haven't been able to drive myself to my job (it's a 60 mile round trip) so thankfully my boss has been amazing. Let me work from home and driven me in to the office once a week. I am scheduled for an MUA and adesiolysis on Weds. MUA to sort out bend and adesiolysis to remove muscle adhesions to help straighten. For me it's my only option. My leg is too bent to be able to function properly and my pain level is still too high.

I know it seems helpless now but an MUA might be a good solution for you. You sound like you need the extra help like me. The scar tissue is probably just blocking the way like mine.

Please don't despair. Speak to your GP about your sleeping issues and then see what the surgeon says about the MUA. I know your concerns about work, I don't know what your position is but just be honest with them. Maybe you can go back in an adjusted role? It may do you good to get a bit of normality back whilst you wait for appointments etc.

Good luck xx

• Posted

Oh dear- not sleeping and depression equals tension and stress doesn't help recovery. Sound like you should be proud of your effort. Going to gym every day is good but muscles need couple of days or a days rest in between so take it gently and do a special programme to stretch and lengthen the muscles. Use your ice again and keep up the good work - it seems such a slow process but you will get there in the end. Keep your chin up dig heels in and stay focused on improving your life- that's why we had our ops in the first place
  • Posted

If an MUA is required, ask if you can have it done on a Fri (like I did with my first one). You will be back at work on the Mon.

I think you're doing very well going to the gym...it's not something that I could have done.  You should be very proud of yourself.

Patsy

• Posted

I can feel you're a bundle of stress.....This is affecting your sleep and a major cause of depression.....You must have a mechanism or a place you go to let it all out Kirk. Once you do this I believe you will find everything else will line up for you....

ALL THE BEST TO YOU!

Mark

• Posted

3 months is still quite early days. There is plenty of time for improvement.

What work do you do?

I had TKR 3 years ago and got stuck with the bend at 88 - 90 for ages.

An exercise you might try.

Have a tea tray at yur feet and keep your socks on.

Gently slide your foot up the tray and mark how far you can get it.

When you feel you cannot go any further just gently give it a little push a bit further.

Hopefully next time you will get a bit further.

Hope this helps.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xx

• Posted

tears i ive spilt plenty over my time with these knees at 3mths its good you want to get more bend and maybe a MUA would help i had one before he gave me one with keyhole and it was ok i was not in serious pain after not sure of pain levels without keyhole he did keyhole because he was afraid of breaking my leg because my bend was only 70% , i got better bend after it but it didnt last even with my effort of physio  ,i never could get past 80and that was as extreme bend so if i were in your place id not be so quick to get MUA  it just may take you a little longer to get more bend i understand the frustration its wearing and you wonder how long more can i motivate myself to keep this up . but 3mths is only 12wks lets hope surgeon has some answers for you
  • Posted

Kirk,,,,I was 62 ROM before my MUA. I had TKR 2/28 and Remained 62. Got manipulation 5/4/15 and now I'my 124 and 0. I wear a brace to increase bend and still go to PT once a week. I was ready to give up. But with lots of hard work I continue to get better. Don't be afraid of the MUA. Good luck Wednesday!
  • Posted

dont be so hard on your self we all improve different , im 17 months on my first knee and 1 year on tuesday with knee no 2 , i was off work 18 months due to the pain and type of work i do , 12 weeks after knee no 2 i went back to work a full time job in a school kitchen feeding 1700 people a day , very busy and  hard  work , i wont say its been easy but when i was told that things take up to 2 years to get full benifit , i thought they were mad , but im still finding things that i can do , i find it easier to get up from the floor , my general movement is much better and last week i found out that i could sit on a low childs seat and get up easier than i ever thought , well impressed with my self , just saying that it takes time and like you work had to be done ,i know that all this seems a life time away for you at the mo but once back at work time flyies , the only thing i wish is that i could have gone back part time for a few weeks , take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.