Just need some reassurance :)

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi Im all new to this but her it goes smile Im a 24 year old woman and had my first ever full blown panic attack (out of the blue) 3 weeks ago (ambulance out etc), always been a worrier but this has knocked me for 6. Im constantly having mini attacks now, it has changed me so much. Feel like Im going crazy, will never be the same again, struggling with the happy emotions and worrying about my health like never before. The doctor has now prescribed 20mg of propranolol to keep my heart rate down which has helped somewhat, just don't understand what happened so suddenly. Has any1 had a similar experience? Thank u. Jen smile

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jen,

I can totally relate to what your going through.

I too had a very random panic attack in January. Since then I've not been the same - I've got some sort of constant pain or there is always something that's worrying me - the doctor has put it down to anxiety.

I'm currently taking fluoxetine (have been for the past 9-10 weeks) I feel it has helped a little but hasn't done wonders. I've also had some sessions of CBT, have you thought about trying them? I've found it really helpful! X

• Posted

Hey Charlotte, I am so glad to hear that someone is in the same boat and that I'm definitely not going crazy (as much as it feels like it!) thank u for your reply. I'd say mines is anxiety as well as the doctor says I seem to be a "supporter" for everyone else, suppose we all have breaking points (consciously or subconciously). Think it makes it worse when it comes from nowhere! Never heard of CBT but I would be willing to try anything to feel somewhat myself again, could u tell me a bit about it? Im exactly the same with the pain, do you find yourself worse when you're unwell also? I first worried about my heart after the panic attack and have a virus at the moment, keep worrying about silly illnesses it could be that I never would have before. Totally not me sad X
  • Posted

Hiya jen

my g.p also put me on propananol i am now on 40mg 3 times a day if i avoid a hangover they work really i don't get panic attacks and eventually i have my life back give the propanol a chance it really has changed my life i was hospitalized and taken off propananol it was scary how anxious i became....i too went to hosp with my 1st panic attack you do learn to reconize them and control them but why the hell should you you didn't ask for this to happen....i still belive that hormones play a part but theres a lot of yonger gorls being affected by this so i'm undecided on my theroy...good luck don't let it beat you you have your whole life ahead of you and don't be afraid to take whatever help is on offer x

• Posted

Hi Jen,

Just thought I'd let you know your not alone I'm 21 female and for the past 7 weeks I've also been having

Anxiety from nowhere I was having really bad panic attacks at work but my head felt fine no overthinking

headaches or anything just racing heart. About four months later I had a feeling of dread in the pit of my

Stomach and felt like id lost my mind completely thought I was seriously ill but had all my checks done all

fine. I have low blood pressure so I cannot Take propananaol that's what my GP says. I am awaiting CBT and will let you know more about it. Things will get better you just have to not let it beat you I felt like there was no hope two weeks ago I'm just grateful for this site and to have people that understand what your going trough. Just know you can beat this like me we have our lives to live not let it rule our lives. Wish you all the best.

Sinead smile x

• Posted

Hi Jen

I'm 24 also, before october last year i had never suffered from anxiety or depression before, i started suffering from depression, then started getting highly anxious all the time. Was struggling with eating and sleeping, the sleeping was the worst! Then one day i just started getting anxiety attacks,, basically over feeling like i wasn't coping and getting easily stressed out over everything, got quite irritable with people too rolleyes. I'm currently taking mirtazapine for anxiety and depression. Don't worry you sound totally normal for someone suffering with anxiety.

Best wishes smile

• Posted

Hi, ladies

I'm a 58 year old man. Have been afflicted by depression and panic attacks for most of my life.

It took years to begin to understand what was happening, as I was never given a clear rational explanation of the symptoms and effects until recently.

In the past I've had 2 one year CBT 'courses', which I found fascinating and helpful. The essential thing to remember about CBT is it takes time to get results. If you're offered it I highly recommend you take advantage of what for me at least was a profound journey of self awareness.

Propranalol helps reduce the effects of adrenalin which anxiety releases, hence the racing heart.

Becoming frightened by this bewildering condition often leads to depression, hence the Prozac/Fluoxatine, A very mild but effective antidepressant.

Then you need something to help supress the anxiety symptoms themselves. I've only recently been administered a drug called Lyrica/Pregabalin, which is the first one I've tried that helps a lot with no side effects.

What you describe is what used to be called Free Floating Anxiety; this is now referred to as General Anxiety Disorder (GAD).

It's quite an affliction to have; but the attacks can be brief and do pass. That's the best thought that helps me cope when they happen, knowing it will stop. It can be years between attacks; or if you're lucky may only happen once.

We all experience this differently in our own way and it can be hard on those we love and care for. No one but you can describe how you feel.

There are people on the forum who swear by many alternative methods that work for them, and if they find relief that way, then I'm happy for them. When you feel terrible and something works, well, it works!

So I wish you all success in finding a suitable treatment method and enjoy a long and happy life,

Alex

• Posted

I have used Lyrica as well but they were for nerve pain.  They were great but I too easily abused them, hence also the reason why I don't take benzos (but that is just me, I have a very addictive personality which is also the reason why I don't drink and never have because I just know I'll find myself self-medicating on it and that is definitely a path I don't want to take).  Anyway Jen, you can see you are definitely not alone and you have a lot of support on this forum.  Keep strong and keep taking one minute at a time.
  • Posted

Hi I am having a mild panic attack right now. I have health anxiety and I am constantly worrying about my health or fearing every ache or pain will be cancer or something serious. 3 days ago I got a measles mumps rubella vaccine( one we get as a child ) but I didn't get. Anyways the nurse said I might get a rash or symptoms like measles. I am panicking about that too. Even tho it's a normal side effect. My skin feels itchy crawly and I'm wondering is it my mind making me think all this? I'm so scared worrying everyday that I'm dying or got some serious illness. I've even started worrying about small things now like ehy I'm itchy, is my pimple a pimple or a lump, is my runny nose something serious? I was never this bad but it's getting worse. Is there anyone who is experiencing this too?
  • Posted

Hi mandi

Your last post sounds like I have written it myself! I am exactly the same as you- I think every single pain or lump or even sensation is something serious and life threatening! I've been to my own GP a number of times but she just keeps turning me away telling me it's all anxiety related. I'm actually going to see a private doctor this afternoon. I think I know deep down that there is nothing to worry about but I can't convince myself. I'm hoping this doctor tells me something new or at least helps me to see a light at the end of the tunnel x

• Posted

I'm still having anxiety this morning because I'm having this sensation on my skin on the right arm like a prickly feeling. It's not red or rashy but just the feeling like someone is poking a needle in my arm when ever my arm brushes against something. Last night if felt itchy. I hope it'd nothing serious and it goes away soon. I read that itchy prickly crawly skin is also a symptom of anxiety. It's really starting to take over. My stomach is so jumpy and jittery right now from worryingsad
  • Posted

Thank u so much for everyone sharing their stories, so nice to know I'm not alone. Just found out yesterday that I am actually pregnant with my second child so this will explain the worstening of my anxiety symptoms this last week, worrying slightly about coming off the propranolol! So hard to stop the anxiety taking over everything and I could definitely feel the depression trying to set in, feeling a bit more positive now I know there is something to look forward to. Fingers crossed it continues on the up! Many good wishes for u all as well, horrible battles to face but so nice to have the support of others in the same boat xx
  • Posted

Congrats!!! I wish you well.... It is hard for anyone dealing with this but Please God we will all get better and get the help we need to help us through!!!
  • Posted

Aww congratulations on your pregnancy, wish you well smile.
  • Posted

Hi Jen,

Im new on here to! this is my first post.

Im23 I randomly developed anxiety april 2013 and had a few panic attacks at home and started to get really anxious about going out wich made it really hard to continue to work, however i carried on it was hard but managed to finish my years contract at work.

It threw me off so bad too it was so unpleasnt and ever since i have been terrified of having panic attacks, i have tried cbt, counselling but nothing has worked. I hate it because it has stopped me from living my life like i used too, i am a really easy going bubbly outgoing person so this doesnt seem right for me but I am a worrier! i worry about everything.

My GP gave me propanalol 10 mg but i have never taken it because i do have slightly low blood pressure and ont want t make it lower as im scared ill get dizzy etc.

I worry for the future and feel if i struggle to get myself out the house some days how will i ever have a family?

Its great to see people on here experiencing the same thing who can share experiences and offer support.

Ps I read a book which did actually help me a bit its called stop thinking start living by richard carlson it made me understand our thinking patterns etc, i am currently reading a book called mindfulness which is meant to be good by mark williams and danny pennan xx

• Posted

Hi all

Just thought i would mention another book aswell, it's called 'Depressive Illness, The Curse of the Strong' by Dr Tim Cantopher. I had it given to me and recommended.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.