Just need to vent - symptoms and health anxiety

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi all, been a while since I've posted. I've been on this whirlwind perimenopause journey for 4 years now and I have experienced an insane variety of symptoms. I should be used to them by now, but I am not. I am 46 years old and still get a (mostly) regular period, although my cycle is much shorter than it ever was before (often <21 days) and I've skipped 2 periods. The thing I have the most trouble with is the health anxiety that comes along with every new pang, twitch, pain, sensation. For the most part, I can tell myself that I do not have insert deadly disease here but there are times that my mind takes me off the deep end. It's run the gamut from "I must have MS" to, more recently when I had a mole removed that my doctor told me was nothing to worry about - until I got the pathology report back, I had convinced myself I had melanoma. Now, I am having a lot of muscle/tendon/bone/joint pain in random places (left ribs, sort of under the armpit; right hip; right arm, shoulder to fingers). This has now lodged in my brain as bone cancer, which I know is a completely irrational fear. I tell myself to stay away from Dr. Google, but am no good at doing so. I am hesitant to see my PCP, although I've been seeing her since I was 18 and she knows about my health anxiety. I am on a very low dose of Lexapro and am considering going to see her solely to increase that in hopes that it will help calm these thoughts. Anyway, I'm not sure what I'm looking for here other than to vent (my husband is a wonderful and supportive listener, but I know I drive him crazy with my drastic jump to dire speculation). Thanks for the ear!

5 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Edited

It will be good you go and see your PCP. I had health ànxiety,got treated and I àm doing great.Get well soon

• Edited

totally understand you my health anxiety is off the scale its mentally & physically exhausting. ive had the aches in muscles joints bones for months now, last few weeks burning back & burning bladder area? its seems one sympton goes then another comes along ☹

• Edited

I know exactly how you feel. Have been in peri for 6 years now, had a ton of symptoms in that time and the hardest thing to deal with is the health anxiety. I catastrophise all the time. Every little twinge has me fearing the worst. Its completely exhausting. I had CBT last year which helped a little but really, when you experience so many symptoms, its so hard to keep it at bay. I am now trying HRT (only 4 days in) in the hope that if the symptoms subside then so will the anxiety. It took a massive effort on my part to start taking it though, as I get anxiety about taking prescription drugs!! Told myself just try it for 3 months and if it doesnt help I can stop taking it. I know none of this helps but just wanted to reach out and say you're not alone! x

• Edited

Just to let you HRT can take up to 6 months for body to get use too. hope this helps.

• Edited

Gosh I really hope it works quicker than that but thank you for warning me!

• Posted

sorry to say but yes HRT takes a really long time to work ive been on the highest oral does for 2.5 years and i am still experiencing new issues every month. but it has helped me immensely .

• Edited

I could've written your post...hugs of support. I am also afraid that my thoughts will make it happen... I don't know how to stop doing it, although there are stretches when I'm fine...until another twang or twitch or spot shows up.

• Edited

I totally understand! I just turned 50 in September and right now I'm having the worst headache, just started my period this morning. Started with a stabbing pulsating pain in back of my head overnight and turned into an awful headache that 4 advil barely helped with. And I have this pain all of a sudden at bottom of ribcage, an achy, sore feeling that I'm imagining is my diaphragm? I've been dealing with weird symptoms for about 2 years now which I'm guessing is perimenopause. But I get pains that come and go in my joints which have made me think of bone cancer BUT I started keeping a monthly log of all of these symptoms in relation to my period and cycle and when I look back at previous months I've had the same things occur roughly around the same time in each cycle, I don't always get every symptom each month but they can reoccur which makes me just think it's my estrogen levels declining and causing all of these weird, seemingly random feelings. I get pain along my jawline each month the week before my period, I get a feeling of fullness in my neck, below my ears and in my jaw, I get mouth pain, burning tongue and roof of mouth, pains in my hips and knees, weird stomach pains as well. But most of these symptoms come and go each month and as I've mentioned they recur either monthly or every few months. It's always something bothering me though. Anxiety about this and the pandemic and working from home and taking care of a 5 year old all at the same time can make me feel like I'm going nuts. Being a hypochondriac doesn't help. Hang in there! Keep a log of these symptoms, see if there is a pattern each month, makes you feel better if you see a pattern as it has to be related to estrogen receptors etc......

• Edited

Hi, I have gave up at the end and started taking pills for my anxiety,. I take Ezetimibe 100mg. But not sure if it is helping. My anxiety is not health anxiety but all sort. Best recovery to all

• Posted

Hi,

Im the same, had CBT for health anxeity but didnt seem to work. Ive had health anxiety for the past two years since I had an operation for a tumour . what didnt help is that they took my ovaries and now im on HRT since it threw me into menopause. So Im getting all the things you said - groin pains , bone aches , muscles , tendons! Its so weird to believe hormones can casue so many pains - I hate it!

Kelly x

• Edited

oh my word, I could have written every word of your post myself. Ive diagnosed myself with MS too, along with other serious neurological conditions. its a minefield. I am a few years post menopause and it just doesnt seem to get any better. You just get over one thing and immediately something else crops up. Ive got over the pelvic pain, the dizziness and the tinnitus. fought off the migraines with aura, and the anxiety lump in throat feeling. the pain in my thumbs, neck shoulder arm and arm pit have gone away, on,y to be replaced with numbness and tingling in my feet and legs. oh just would wouldnt it be wonderful to have a few months break from it all. sending hugs your way x

• Edited

I know it's been a while since you posted this and I hope you are doing better.

I totally understand about the health anxiety. I'm experiencing it as well. Every pain and ache makes me think, "Oh, no! What is going on now???"

I would recommend that you go to your PCP (if you haven't done so yet), because a clean bill of health will put your mind at ease. I am someone who absolutely HATES going to the doctor, but I forced myself to do it. I had a complete physical, blood tests, a female wellness exam, and a cardio stress test. All looks good and they all assured me that there's nothing physically wrong with me.

So, now, every time I think that I might be seriously ill, I remember that several doctors assured me that I am not.

It doesn't stop the thoughts from popping into my head, but it helps with stopping them from going into overdrive.

Hang in there and I hope you're doing better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.