Just one 75mcg tablet L-Thyroxine One week Ago = Panic/Insomnia/irratability 24/7

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

it's been a week since I took a 75mcg tablet L-Thyroxine...

I posted a while ago here:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/severe-panic-attacks-insomnia-after-l-thyroxine-645329

I haven't slept for like a week really since I took just one tablet... have eye problems, brain swelling feeling & have extreme panic attacks.

Should I wait it out or go to the ER?

My TSH was just slightly elevated and my doc wanted to do a test run..

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like your experiencing side effects. I've had severe side effects with Levothyroxin for the past two and half years. As it's the only medication provided I've found they ignore it. I have had insomnia extreme agitation rashes sweating, feeling unwell the list is endless. A change of brand or formulation may help. I tried all the different brands can't take any now. I was OK on the liquid for about nine months but can't take that. Now researched online and taking natural

alternative, so far so good.

• Posted

Hello Wha,

The symptoms you describe are possible from levothyroxin. The brain swelling and panic attacks were symptoms I experienced. 

There are a couple of problems.

1) dosing is usually done gradually to avoid side effects. Typical start dose is 25. ... keep in mind, 75 is pretty high to start.

2) Since you only took one dose, the medication should clear your system pretty quickly. 

3) Are you sure you were taking tyrosine and not something else? Thyrosint is supposed to be free of dues and other additives.  If you are on Synthroid or other brands, you could be having a reaction to the additives. Additives range from allergens such as acacia, to dies to gluten, corn, lactose, and other fillers. These fillers can cause allergic type reactions.

Rather than go to the ER, can you try an antihistamine or anti-inflammatory to see if you can reduce the inflammation? 

• Posted

Looks like there were some autocorrects where thyrosint was changed to tyrosine. I was talking about thyrosint.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.