Just out of hospital after IV antibiotics now on oral but feel nauseous and tired all the time

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ive just come out of hospital after a sudden very painful bout of diverticulitis and was treated with lots of IV antibiotics. Is it normal to feel nauseous and listless all the time?How long do these feelings last? Im 76 but nirmally very fit and active.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Yes, what you are describing is typical. While you are taking antibiotics, nausea and lack of energy are very common side effects. Also if you are in hospital, you very quickly lose your fitness, because you simply are not moving around like you normally do. I have found that even after you stop taking the medication, you can continue to feel the side effects for a couple of weeks plus. Also it will take you a couple of weeks at home before you start to regain your ability to move around as normal. Unfortunately recovery takes more time with age!!

Just recently a friend was in hospital on IV antibiotics for 10 days, and was so surprised it took her over 3 weeks to start to feel more normal. Even now, she still has little appetite, and has lost 15 pounds since the start of her illness. What you may also find is that it can take weeks, if not months, for the diverticula pain to go, or subside to the odd twinge. Depression is also a common side effect, as it takes so long to recover, you begin to think you never will. But if you read the posts on this forum, you will find many people have felt exactly the same as you are currently feeling.

After my first attack 17 years ago, it took over 4 weeks before I was back to normal. After attack no 6 in 2016, it was almost a year (my disease had moved from moderate to severe). But I feel fine now, and have done for over a year. You should make sure you have plenty of fluids, and for the time being a low fibre diet in small meals. Things like scrambled egg, steamed fish, boiled rice, mashed potato. That way you won't overwork your bowel too soon. Also do try and walk as much as possible, but also get plenty of rest. It just takes patience. Best wishes

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Luckily at the moment the pain has gone but the nausea and feeling like my mouth is like the inside of a cesspit remains in a big way. If i didn't have to swallow these horrid antibiotics after food I'd not want to eat at all but i try scrambled eggs as you've recommended and I'll try other things like mashed potato etcThank you for all your advice.

• Posted

I found that I had a terrible metallic taste in my mouth when I was taking antibiotics and zero appetite. My go-to food is boiled white rice. It's good that your pain has gone - sometimes it can take a lot longer - but I would advise you to stick to a low fibre diet, as bland as you can make it, until you finish the pills. You don't want to overwork your bowel. Then you can start to build up some high soluble fibre into your diet.

If you need more ideas, you can Google low fibre diet. When I was a little girl, my mum used to give me white bread with the crusts removed, soaked in hot milk - I've just remembered it! Incidentally I'm 68 and have been managing this disease for 17 years without the need for surgery (which is just as well, as they don't do elective surgery for it in the UK, only emergency/urgent surgery for life threatening or zero quality of life).

• Posted

Eubhamac was that your very first attack? Probotics will help you feel better after all those antibotics. Did they send you home on antibotics also? Ginger helps with nausea.

• Posted

yes it was so if probiotics help ill be happy to try anything! THANK YOU

• Posted

Just a thought - can I take probiotics at the same time as antibiotics. I assume I'll need to wait till the antibiotics are finished?

• Posted

Don't wait! The antibiotics are there to kill off the bad bacteria which are making you ill but they are also killing your good bacteria (or 'flora') which are essential for your digestion. Taking probiotics along with antibiotics will (hopefully) help you to feel more normal.

Try to get a good variety of probiotics - you can buy capsules from health shops or go for live yoghurt (different brands have different bugs so read the labels and try to get a mix). Kefir is a sort of yoghurt-type drink and can come in various flavours from supermarkets.

What antibiotics are you taking? Some you're not supposed to have dairy with so capsules might be best.

• Posted

hi thank you for your reply. The antibiotics are Metronidazole and Co-TrimoxazoleReally

horrible and make my mouth feel furry and metallic tasting!

• Posted

Metronidazole is a very strong medication and I too get a metallic taste when I take it. Co-Trimoxazole (brand name Septrin) is actually a very old antibiotic - I was prescribed it over 40 years ago for something quite different and had an allergic reaction (sick as a pig)! I always reckon a course of antibiotics are something to be endured, and that I'll feel better a few days after finishing them.

• Posted

Metronidazole this after a few days causes my head to jerk when laying down and also makes me dizzy as heck! I can't tolarate it only for a few days. Has this happened to anyone else while taking it? How many days are you all usually on it?

• Posted

In the UK it is 5 or 7 days only. There are 2 medications, one of 5 days and one of 7 days but I can't remember which way round. From what I've read, in the USA it is a minimum of 14 days and sometimes up to a month. In the UK the doctors are now very cautious about over prescribing, from fear of patients developing resistance to antibiotics. My own GP actually won't prescribe now unless absolutely essential, preferring to let nature heal where possible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.