Just out of the hospital - my story

Posted , 4 users are following.

About 4 weeks ago or so I had some pain in my right calf. I thought I pulled a muscle but after about 5 days it was gone. The following week I had pain in my left calf. So I thought it was maybe my shoes. It never went away and after googling my symptoms and doing the “tests” I didn’t think I had dvt. It felt like a mild sprain that was it! Well 2 nights ago I went to just have it checked because  I was sick of the sprained feeling. I had an ultra sound of my left leg, then a CT of my chest. Then another ultra sound of my right leg. Turned out my left leg had a clot from my ankle into my buttocks, the nurse said it was the largest she ever saw! I also had a small one in my right calf. The CT showed I had 3 PE’s. I was put on a heparin (I think) IV. The next day ( last night) I was released! I was given Eliquis to take twice daily. I’m kinda of surprised I am out and home. I feel kind of worried being filled with all these clots. Next week I have an appointment with a lung doctor. She has also already scheduled me a PET scan next week. I just don’t know what to do next, feeling lost. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I had bilateral pes in November of 2016. I was out the next day and put on eliquis. Mine where small I was told. 6 months later in April may had a ct no more clots came off thinners have not had a problem since. Hopefully it stays that way. Mine may have been due to kicking a door not 100% sure docs say. Do you know how you got yours? Sitting long times. Surgery. Clotting disorder anything?
    • Posted

I am not sure why to be honest. No surgery, I did get laid off from work about 2 months ago and defiantly wasn’t as active.  
    • Posted

How old are you if you don't mind me asking? My brothers 45 when he was 42 I think he got a dvt in his calf because he sits a lot for work.

• Posted

When you see the doctor please make sure he orders blood tests to check for any blood clotting disorders like Factor V Leiden. If you have one of them you should be ordered to take blood thinners for life.

Take care.

• Posted

I guess I have another question, I don’t know if anyone knows this but I wear an Apple Watch and it tracks my heart rate. Today I took a couple hour nap, and I noticed my resting heart rate is around 100 when I’m asleep. That seems high to me not sure if I should be concerned or not. 
    • Posted

Apparently one of the result of PE is an elevated heart rate, though mine was normal even though I had multiple bilateral PE (I also didn't have a single symptom of DVT though I had two large clots in my calf).

Blood clots actually may damage a heart muscle and I also had a heart echo to check whether it was not the case. But having a higher heart rate does not mean that you had any heart damage, so don't panic ;-).

Some people have higher pulse because of the anxiety which is quite common after PE, but yours was probably not because of that since it was during sleep.

• Posted

But definitely mention to your doc about higher heart rate, if it happens regularly.
  • Posted

Just take your meds till next appt and be alert to any changes you feel.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.