Just over 2 weeks on a higher dose of 150mg venlafaxine, what can i expect?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, my old anti depressant stopped working at xmas switched to citalopram for a few months, utter disaster, anxiety went through roof, had to reduce dose, go on diazepam, and do a combined switch with velafaxine, gradually increasing ven and reducing cit , over 4 weeks, until reaching 150mg of ven, which ive been on for just over 2 weeks. During switch over, almost brought me to my knees, felt tragically depressed, and completely hopeless. Take as little diaxepam as i need. I dont feel tragically depressed now, just depressed, although the thoughts that made me feel tragically depressed sometimes poke through. Managing to carry on with my job. Cant watch tv, listen to radio or read as not much interest in doing so, and it upsets me a bit. Its been so long since i was moderately happy, just wanted to know what i can expect from ven, over next 4 weeks. After 2 weeks on it, it seems to be knumbing emotional pain i feel a bit, although it still pokes through. Havent felt anywhere near remotely okay for such a long time. I know i should be more disciplined, but really very little interests me. I dont know what i can or should be expecting from ven. What can i expect it to do for me over the next 4 or so weeks? Will i start to enjoy doing things again? Be more outgoing with people again? Any experiences would be appreciated. Thanks.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Ps, dont seem to have many side effects from ven, although still need to take about half max dose of diazepam im allowed to take. Just want to know if and when i can start to enjoy doing things again. Depression leading up to 2 weeks ago, felt really painfull, with no hope. Im coping slightly better than 2 weeks ago, but still feel depresded and hopeless at times.
  • Posted

How are you sleeping?

Venlafaxine is often prescribed alongside a second drug called Mirtazapine, and the two often work very well together. Google "California rocket fuel" for more details.

Mirtazapine will allow you to sleep when taken at night.

Try not to take too much diazepam because after a number of weeks you can develop "tolerence" to it, which means it stops calming you down, and instead makes you more agitated (at which point you have to increase the dose to get back the calming effect). 

• Posted

Hello rick, thanks. Sleep isnt too bad. Am quite strict with diazepam, take only what i need. Its just i feel very flat and down. Its only been just over 2 weeks on 150mg, so possibly too early. When i started citalopram in jan, first few weeks were up and down, then i went very flat for 2 weeks, which was horrible. As im in a worse condition than when starting cit, poosibly no ups and downs , but going through very flat down stage.
  • Posted

Hi nigel, your journey sounds aloto like how mine was... I was put on citalipram and ended up worse than when I started it. I'm now on the california rocket fuel as it's called I take both mirt and ven... this has been a great combo for me as it's allowed me to start recovering from that deep darkness of despair. I'm not a 100% yet but I'm on my way. I noticed ven start helpingetting at about week 4, first it lifted my mood then it started working on anxiety. The mirt alone wasn't working it was the venlafaxine that was my true saviour. I wish you luck in your recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.