just plain tired and a bit discouraaged

Posted , 13 users are following.

A bit discouraged, going on seven days since knee replacement, still not much sleep at night and not much activity during day.  doing some stretches and walking with walker, but progress seems slow.  The leg is three times larger than the other one and the compression socks feel like they are cutting off my circulation on swolleen leg.  Wearing these a month, just trying to get by.  63 years old, had hip replaced, not bad, knee isnt going as smoothly, still other knee to go in three months.  What helps you guys stay upbeat?   I hate to rely so much on family.  I need to stay busy with something.  I dont think I am a whiner just not very patient with myself this time around.   I read alot, tv is just there to keep company.   Do you folks find it difficult a this stage to do any normal activities?  Thanks all

2 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

This is a very slow process you have to take each day as it comes dont be afraid to take any help you can it can be very soul destroying but it does get better keep your leg elevated as much as possible ice every couple of hours for the swelling take your meds for as long as you need them and rest when you can if you feel like a nap take it you will get rhere good luck.
  • Posted

Seven days in is early yet for recovery! I had my tkr a year ago, at the same age. At two weeks my knee/leg was quite swollen. The doctor had me elevate my leg on a box with two pillows three times a day for an hour each. Very boring but it reaaly helped with the swelling. 

I had several weeks, at leaast, of just hard recovery. I had a hard time reading on pain pills but I used audio books (from the library) and coloring books. I think you are actually doing well. Knee surgery is a more difficult recovery that hip.

Give yourself time. It will be worth it!

• Posted

Omg, give yourself a break.  You did say 7 days?  I was barely coherent at that stage.  Being laid up is boring as sh*t.  You will get better.  Like you, I am impatient with myself.  I've always snapped back from surgery quickly, but obviously this is wayyyy different.  This forum has been a lifesaver for me.  Read, come back and ask more questions 

• Posted

Regarding the compression socks, I never had to wear those thank God. . . but I did have to have a daily injection of heparin to avoid blood cots. If your leg is so swollen, perhaps you could ask your doctor if that would be an alternative. I much preferred one quick injection to the martyrdom of wearing those socks!!!  And believe me, one week on very few people can expect more than managing to get out of bed and do the exercises!  It honestly does get better . . it takes time though, and it wont be hurried however much you would like to be out there getting on with things.  Probably only one in  a million could do many normal activities at this stage.  I really think that a bit more information before the op would help people to know what sort of progress to expect.  you are doing fine honestly!
    • Posted

Hi

I totally agree although my surgeon is considered one of the best in the UK the aftermath of a TKR is extremely tough pre op i was told by the nursing staff i would probably be in some pain for a while understatement of the year i think and i had to wear the dreaded socks and inject myself to thin the blood lol.

• Posted

Hi martinarvelo, how long did you have heparin shots for? I had TKR right side a year and a month ago and waiting for TKR left side. I had infection in both legs last time and we think it was due to the compression stockings so this time round won't be using them. When I was in hospital they did both - stockings and heparin and I  was in hospital a week and rehab for four weeks, so 5 weeks heparin. I'm.   in Australia and you get heparin shots every day no matter what you're in for so just wondering how long you had heparin for please.

• Posted

sorry for ealy . . no internet for a couple of days!  i actually had the injections for six weeks, but I've read since that it isn't necvessary for so long . . . I suppose it depends on your surgeon.  I HATE the idea of those compression stockings. . . they were never even suggested to e thank heavens!

• Posted

Yeah these compression socks are plain nuts. They are telling

me both legs one month. When I get rid of those I will have a big

celebration. Honestly I can't get them on and off by myself,

my poor husband, by next week not 24 hours of wearing just

during days so looking forward to that. All of you have the best

Day you can and thanks!

• Posted

Hi cc,

I am a little over the 4 week mark and feel frustrated as well. Both the Doctor and PT say the pain and tightness are normal at this point even tho I feel I am regressing. Reading the posts here most everyone confirms that what we are going through at each week mark is normal. I reckon just patience as time goes is the best approach. Good luck!

Frank

• Posted

Well I decided good days and bad days. Today is day ten. Had a great day 1

yesterday, showered, dressed, cooked breakfast and made a nice dinner

for hubby. Did all excercises, no naps.

Then not much sleep last night, so,today will be a sit around and be slow.

I think I just have to take one day at a time and deal with what it gives me.

I am encouraged by all your folks kind words and your journey. So glad I

found this group. Also some excellent suggestions, thanks.

• Posted

Just my suggestion, but maybe take a break from the socks?  Keep legs elevated or moving but if they are that bothersome...I'd take a wee break from them.  Just an hour a day without them might be awesome.  I only had to wear mine in the hospital for 2 days and HATED them!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.