Just re side effects of Gabapentin..

Posted , 3 users are following.

I Googled it to see some of side effects I had seen for the first time on side label...new Pharmacy...then started reading some posts from individuals having some issues with Gabapentin....

I've been experiencing the same...OH MY GOODNESS! I'm only on 200 mg a day, but progressively annoyed with loss of balance, dizziness & blurred vision. I've mentioned it to my Pain MGMT Dr...but, the possibility that it's Gabapentin never ONCE was addressed!

Thank y'all for your posting....it's something I really need to address with my Primary Dr appointment in March. Hopefully, I can wean off w/o much difficulty. I've been on this dosage for a long time...7+ years...for Charlie Horses!!

Thank you, again, for your input & sharing what I needed to know...

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I've taken Gabapentin twice over the past 14 years. Took it for 1 year the first time in 2008. Stopped because it didn't help with the nerve pain. No side effects though. Took it again in 2017 , thinking , maybe , my body has changed and it might help this time. It didn't help though so after 6 months , I quit again. But no side effe cat. Each time I took 600 a day. Was scared to just stop though because of what I've read about stopping cold turkey. But I did and still didn't have any adverse effects. It just didn't help anything. But everybody is different and I consider myself lucky. I want be taking that chance again. This forum does have valuable info and caring people. So I still come here to get real opinions and info from real people. Just can't believe everything pharmaceutical companies and doctors tell you. They base everything on numbers , not real outcomes. The best info , I think comes from people that have been there , done that. Good luck on your quest for answers and successful treatments.

• Posted

We can’t trust a pharmaceutical company to publish their drugs worst side effects.

Neurontin was the first drug involved in violation of The False Claims Act. “Franklin v. Warner Lambert “ trial ended in 2004 with a $430 million fine. Now they make billions and will make more because doctors have started prescribing it more frequently because opioids are being replaced by Pregabalin and other anti-convulsants. 

I never had any type of muscle spasms before, but Gabapentin gave me a permanent movement disorder after only taking two consecutive 300 mg doses, and I immediately stopped since the nurse said, “Side effects always wear off.” I mainly have unrelenting twitching and jerking and balance issues.

If you decide to wean off, you should do it very slowly. There are a few Gabapentin Withdrawal Support groups on Facebook, but of course you should consult your doctor. 

• Posted

I've been of it for around 4 months now. No I'll effects though. Had a heart bypass surgery in 2005. The surgeon damaged a lot of nerves that never got better. But the cardiologist put me on the statin drug which was found to cause irreversible nerve damage in many cases. Big pharma his that part of their research. So , about a year ago .y new doc said to stop taking it. I did stop, but a lot of these problems may have been caused by the station. And docs are still prescribing the same statin and pharmaceuticals are still making big profits off it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.