Just reaching out ..

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am weaning off HRT as the full patch of Evorel Conti was too much for me.. (I'm 66 and have been using HRT since I was 53) I am spotting every few weeks and have just trimmed another small slither off my patch (so down to half a patch now) Any other Ladies done/doing this? Are you spotting? I do feel low at the moment so any thoughts and experiences would be welcome.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pat. Sorry to hear you are feeling low, hope it passes soon.

I started the same patches as you last sept. My breasts become very tender, prob cos I gained weight, so I cut about an eighth off the patch to see if it helped. I've had a few irregular periods and spotting etc. so I went back on full patches about 4 weeks ago and so far no more spotting and breasts no longer tender. I'm 58. Keep hoping my periods have gone forever!

Is it your own decision to wean off hrt? Or has a doctor advised it?

• Posted

Hi Maisie, I was quite happily sailing along on half a patch for the last 6 years or so. In 2015 as I was approaching my 65th birthday my GP asked me firmly to come off them due to my age.  I didn't want to but I did... to my lasting regret! Everything came back with a vengeance and I slapped on a full patch to cope with the onrush of flushes/mood swings and various aches and pains, I felt awful. So the full patch was too much for me and I have been trimming it down very, very slowly ever since. it's such a slow process. and once you mess about with hormones your system is never the same. I have been plagued with spotting and period pains for the last few months.. I am so fed up with the bleeds. I trimmed another small slither off my patch yesterday. I really hope this helps to sort out the mess my GP has created due to his ignorance... *sigh*  fingers crossed please! I want to stay on HRT because the flushes I get are so bad. 

• Posted

Hi it not nice i have sed to my doc i wot to go back on them she say no i was looking on intetnet to see if i can buy them but not cheap so why should we have to buy them it our life i will try again
    • Posted

Pat, are you on bio identical hormones? Has your doctor ran any blood tests to see where your numbers are at? If you were on bio hormones and doing fine I don't understand why your doctor would suggest you quit using them. IF you are on synthetic form of HRT this is why doctors don't want to keep women on them too long especially when we get older. Bio Identicals are natural and the body handles them very well. Synthetics have unnatural substances in them and cause problems for women the longer they are on them. This is why doctors want to wean you off. I totally understand how you must feel having these symptoms return. I am 57 and plan to stay of them the rest of my life. My dr. runs regular blood work and adjusts as needed. Very easy deal. 

• Posted

Since coming off my hrt i have to take lisinopril but went ti doc and she put me back on evorel conti patches
    • Posted

Jude, are you in the UK? My doctor wasn't able to prescribe bio identical hrt. Is it something you can only get privately?

I'm using evorel conti patches at the moment and doing ok. I'm just wondering about the future.

• Posted

Jude.. Evorel Conti are synthetic I believe although I have read the oestrogen part is bio..  In the UK GP's dont run blood tests for levels.Like I said, I was sailing along perfectly well until my GP turned my life upside down. Anyways... I think slowly but surely I am winning again.. cutting down to half a patch now and the spotting seems to have abated (I hope) ... I have had a few flushes mainly in the morings, Thanks for all the help ladies it is appreciated.

• Posted

That wot i had and had no trouble then doc sed i had to come off tham because of my age i am 61

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.