Just relapse after relapse, Please Help!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey guys,

I first had my panic attack in 2008, first couple weeks it was especially bad but with CBT I overcame my initial fears and lived 3 years panic and anxiety free. Last year I had a relapse and got on medication Lexapro 20mg and Lorezopam 0.5 eventually all was well then two weeks ago I went off the rails again. Lawschool is bearing down, full time work, and a new baby! My blurry vision, fear of dying, going insane loss of appetite and the accompanying doom and gloom of everyday life has came back. The doctor told me to up my dosage of lorezopam to 2mg daily. I felt I was getting better and then BAM yesterday after a fight with my wife I felt out of body and now I'm stuck in my head, filled with fear. I've been taking my medication going to therapy for booster sessions so I wonder How did this happen? I do have a lot of stresses curently and my Psychiatrist has said that it will all subside when those stresses have been dealt with. I just feel lost.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Same thing happened me..did c.b.t. years ago, and was feeling great, then it came back..tried c.b.t. again but it didn't have the same effect..I cant tolerate a/ds ,too many side effects. but i do take xanax 2mg spread over the day...i just had 3 good days..now its back. nausea, blurry vision, dizziness. and afraid to go out, and afraid to stay in...dont know why..as i had a good w/end....only thing to ease it is the breathing, for about 10 minutes, sit, or ly down ,and just breath properly,it does help..if i am going anywhere important i usually take a stiff brandy..one is enough..and it does help too..hope your feeling calmer soon. xx

• Posted

Hey, thanks for replying. I hope you're starting to realize that recovery is possible. I don't believe it but I know it can happen. Let me know!

• Posted

It does certainly seem to coincide with stressors on your life, therepy is def a good thing, you just need to use the techniques to deal with the stress as it comes, anxietybis terrible and can take over out of no where or due to things like stress you have a lot going on and honestly IMO the best way to fight is to accept it for it what it is, stress. Obviously avoid the ones you can but life is an all of stress, CBT didn't work for me mostly because I didn't believe in the process and needed to learn how to deal in my own way. I try and stay positive even in the worst parts of my down days, I know the sun will come up the next day and that I have a wife and kids who will be there no matter what, and I try an use that as motivation to stay up even when I'm really down, I still put on the I'm ok mask and eventually if I can keep it on long enough I end up believeing that I'm ok and the day seems to go up from there. My wife and kids have seen me at my worst on the couch on months not eating just letting life go and giving up and then my youngest son came up and starting talking to me in jibberish lol he's only 18months and I just looked at him and realized that my life isn't about me anymore and I have to focus on my family, I can't let this beat me down that bad and have them suffer so I got medication and take it religiously and every time i start getting down I immediately fill my head of all the good times and the good times to come and giving my kids a life I didn't get. Whatever you can personally use to give your self motivation and give your mind something to focus on besides the negative is the best way. Silver lingings is my favorite saying now, no matter how bad things get there's a lesson to learn and a positive to come out of it, even if it's just realizing how strong we are for dealing with and hopefully overcoming things such as this, in the pain and suffering of the symptoms anxiety gives you, you know you are stronger and more knowledgeable for it. We get a different prospective on life that only about 25% of people get to experience, there's no rainbow with the rain is another one I like. To me having dealt with these things makes me appreciate the good times even more. keep your head up and know this is all stress related take a break from the stress that you can work through what you can't, talk to your partner about how you feel when you fight and find a strategy to communicate better when you disagree or something happens that usually starts a fight, a baby is stressful but its also the most rewarding thing you'll ever have cherish every moment even ones that stress you out in 10 yea you'll want them back I promise lol and law school think about how good life will be after you graduate instead of focusing on the stress it's giving you know, the life your family will have because you pushed that hard will be very rewarding also silver lingings are everywhere you just have to find them, think about things positivly rather than negativily. You'll get throgh, you've been here before and got out the other side, you can do it again

• Posted

Thank you so much, I felt like a failed case before your reply and now every time I'm down I read it and tell myself you can do it! I'm still having a tough time but I know I gotta work it through.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.