Just returned from hospital, been diagnosed with LS. I'm 32 yrs old

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi all, after years of suffering with sores, itchiness and bleeding from scratching so much I have just returned form hospital with bi op results that I do have LS. I am relieved to now know what I have but after reading lots on internet I'm worried as it seems I am quite young to have this terrible and soul destroying disease. I have been applying dermovate for 3 months and things have calmed down a lot. Although I just always seem to be waiting for the next flare up. I had a little girl 18 months ago, natural birth. Although I say natural, it was 28 hour labour and I had to be cut very bad. This is when things got a lot worse for me as it just hasn't seemed to heal down there since then. If I had been diagnosed with LS before giving birth there is no way I would of had natural birth! Just upset that I didn't get diagnosed years ago instead of being told I had thrush time and time again.

Sex is out the question although I'm lucky enough to have a very understanding husband.

Thank you for reading, Laura x

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I think we could all do with cutting out cheap chocolate. I suspect it in my case. I'm much better that a year ago when we were eating big slabs of it nightly. Silly thing, really. Of course it's bad.
  • Posted

You may have had thrush/candida  and its manifested more deeply...often due to allopathic (conventional medical) treatment.

Might you be gluten sensitive? I agree with the chocolate sufferers that it makes things worse. Groan!! I had some real benefit from quitting grains...just to mention cereal is even more dense in sugar, once digested,  and promotes candida. it seems there are various causes of LS I am waiting for a friends book to come out with her treament protocol...to pass on.

We are all so depleted in helpful bacteria not only in the gut but also in our enviroment generally that we now have an epidemic of problems.

It seems prebiotics and probiotics are vital and act to push out candida. Kefir is a source of probiotics if thats of any help to you.

One thing I feel compelled to mention - since reading about it myself and thinking what sense it made - is that a vaginal delivery is very helpful to the emerging infant to furnish the child with life's bacteria (rather like colostrum which has only fairly recently been appreciated)  on the body and in their gut. This is all new stuff that's becoming known which I thought I would pass on for your consideration. If you do have a planned 'C' Section there may be ways to pass on the good and healthy bacteria that the infant needs that will be known about by then perhaps? 

I wish you well with your pathway to health and will see you along the journey.  

Love Marey x

• Posted

Hi laura just wanted to know what the biopsy is like? i am having mine tommorow and how long does it take to heal etc and does it hurt when you go to the toilet afterwards? x
  • Posted

Hi Laura and Amy,

I had a biopsy for diagnostic purposes 5 years ago.

However, I had a surprise triple biopsy yesterday.  I wasn’t really prepared for it, but I suppose needs must.  It was a punch biopsy performed under local anaesthetic (lidocaine like dentists use).  It was a bit stingy, but the nurse was very good and it didn’t take too long.

This was done by a gynae consultant at the local hospital.  I had had a poor experience with the dermatologist to whom I was previously referred.

I think I should have been sutured, because even though I seemed to have stopped bleeding at the time, it did start up again when I went to the loo for a pee.  However, it did not sting when I peed.  Last night I did not shower, because I didn’t want to get the area wet.  However, before work this morning I showered (water only) and just played the water on the area, rather than rubbing it.  There was still a little bleeding (not enough to worry about), so it is probably a good idea to take a sanitary towel rather that put up with the massive wads given out by the hospital.

I dried myself using a hair drier on a low setting and I think this is very important to prevent infection in wounds down there.

Today it is still a little tight, but I expect that the discomfort should have gone by tomorrow and I can then resume applying Dermovate and the new oestrogen cream prescribed by the gynae.

Fun times eh?!

Laura, I read somewhere that young women are more likely to completely defeat this disease than older post menopausal women such as myself, so don’t despair.  I am certainly going to keep trying sensible, logical alternatives whilst keeping up some of the conventional medecines (Dermovate) which I know from experience work for me and prevent a worsening of the condition.

The very best of luck to all you ladies.

Love Margaret 

• Posted

Hi Margaret, i had my punch biopsy done was ok only a slight sting whilst doing the local. afterwards was a bit sore but today much better and no bleeding which is good. ive been told to go back in three weeks for results. il be having a salty bath tommorow to help with the healing .
  • Posted

Hello everyone! Hope you are all doing well!quick question for you? Do you find that swimming causes a flare up? Really want to start swimming with my daughter but worried this might make my LS worse, things have calmed down a lot for me down below but worried if chlorine will affect me? Any answers/views are appreciated.

Thank you, love Laura x 

• Posted

Oooohh, Laura, I love to swim, but I'm really turned off by the idea of a swimming pool these days. When I was traveling for work ten years ago, I'd jump in any old hotel pool. That was when my LS was raging but I still hadn't been diagnosed. What was I thinking? Some home pools are very well managed and don't have much chlorine in them. But when you can smell the chlorine in a public pool, that's actually the odour of chloramine, the bi-product of too much bacteria and other sludge for the pool chemistry to handle. (I'm no chemist, but I remember that from the one year I lived with a pool.)
    • Posted

Glad to hear things are calming down for you. did you do anything in particular?

I use a water filter to remove chlorine and floride as well as the other chemicals now in our drinking and shower water...I try to avoid chemicals and so in answer to your question if you could find a private pool which is treated with ozone for purification - instead of chlorine which I gather it best to try to avoid - then you'd definitely be ok.

or i suppose you could try applying vaseline to the area...or swimming in the sea...that would be brilliant. Might going to the sea be possible for you? 

• Posted

Oh thank you for your prompt reply! So nice to get advice! I went swimming today with husband and daughter, had such a lovely time, I'm really well at the moment, in fact best I've been for a long time thanks to dermovate! My new best friend! Think I'm going to carry on going to pool but the moment I don't feel right il stop. Really don't want what I have stopping me having fun with my family... It's caused me enough pain.. Il keep you updated.. 

Just out of interest Morrell, do you live in UK? X 

• Posted

Laura, if I were you I'm sure I'd feel the same way, enjoying time with your family. So good to hear Dermovate's doing the trick. I live in east central Canada.

I agree with Marey that salt water might be ideal. A friend recently posted a beautiful photo of a salt water spa pool with a waterfall. I coveted that.

• Posted

canada...how lovely! thought you were a brit.

would be nice to see that waterfall. 

laura...let us know how you resolve your swimming issue!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.