just ruptured my Achilles tendon

Posted , 9 users are following.

I ruptured my Achilles tendon on 1.2.16 while on vacation in fl.  I live in ga.  after some quick research we drove home yesterday on the 4th. And have an appointment with an 

Orth. Dr. on the 7th....  

I am 63 and was in excellent shape.  Was trying a new sport (pickle ball)

and was more worried about my knee than anything.  After about 1 hr

felt great then I thought someone hit me from behind with a baseball bat.

When I turned around and there was no one there I was actually quite surprised.  

After doing some research it seems a lot of new

studies shows that non surgical is just as effective as surgical as long

as you have the proper PT.  Will be interested in what the Ortho. Dr, says.

He was highly recommended by the PT I used before who told be he is

the best foot and ankle dr. in Atlanta and that he has done a lot of research in this area.  He is a Emory dr.  will see.

any way right after I hurt my leg went immediately to Clinic and they said

to call an ortho. immediately which meant Monday since I got hurt on a 

sat.  was real depressing.  Looks like a long road ahead.  Will read up on

Some of the posts and see if I can get anymore good info.

0 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I am in week 7 in the  boot.  As yet PT starts next week and had now advice yet on exercising apart from walking around as much as you want.  I am concerned that is is not brilliant.  Will see what the PT sats.

• Posted

Hi steve, we seem to have a lot in common. I also ruptured my achilles on the same day playing pickleball. Unbelievable. ... I live in California and my ortho has decided on the non-surgery plan. After doing some research I thought it was the best decision. I have been in a splint since the 3rd and will be in a boot starting Wednesday. I'm trying to do as much research as possible but it's so frightening looking at how long and difficult this journey will be. Hopefully we can help each other along the way. I'm almost 58.
    • Posted

Wow!   Amazing but at the same time I am so sorry to hear.  That was my first time playing pickle ball and I loved it. I was playing for over 1 hr when it happened.  My ortho was big on surgery, but by the time I saw him I decided to try non –surgery.   The protocol that he uses for non surgery has the same rate of re ruptures as surgery with out the complications.   

There is no way to find out ahead of time to find out the Ortho. Drs. That prefers non surgery over the knife.

If you Google the following you will get the system Surgeon uses for recovery.

Accelerated Rehabilitation Program For Non –Operative Treatment of Achilles Tendon Ruptures1. May also be used for Operative Treatment of Achilles Tendon Ruptures July 2013 Updated Version Prepared and Modified by: Daniela Rubinger, BScPT, Citadel Physiotherapy Mark Glazebrook MSc. PhD MD FRCS(C)

Only difference so far from the Accelerated Rehabilitation Program and what I am doing  is that  my Ortho. started me with the Berg walking boot instead of the plaster cast and  at 2-4 weeks I only do the weigh bearing starting at 5%  weight  and forget about the other stuff they have you doing at 2-4 wks..  I am going to be real conservative.  Read of a number of people who re ruptured and hopefully I can stay away from that.

So far I have no pain just real stiff when I take it out of the boot.

The hardest part so far is the non activity and being unable to do much. It can be depressing sitting around all day.  I keep busy but physically this coach potato stuff is not for me. 

Next appoint is 4 weeks on 2.4.16.

Good Luck and hopefully we will both recover quickly!

• Posted

Do you take it out of the boot while relaxing? It seems that icing it and gentle massaging would be helpful. Do you have to sleep with it on.

I have very little pain just some tightness in my calf that comes and goes. My foot does feel tingly (like it needs to move).

Have you gotten out of the house? It makes you feel more "normal". I ordered a scooter and that helps a lot.

I agree the most difficult part is the boredom and doing nothing. I hate it.

Let's keep each other updated on our progress. It really helps.

Take care,

Karren

• Posted

The boot only comes off when I shower.  Dr. orders. I think the prevention of re injury is the most import. thing right now.  

Yes I sleep with it on.  I never had a problem sleeping.  It feels weird

like I am wearing cowboy boots and even stranger when I put them under the covers but like I said I go right to sleep.

The worst part is looking at my foot when I do take it out.  To me it looks horrible and depressing.   Im also paranoid about re injuring it.

I have not gotten out of house except to go to Dr.  I have going down the steps and it is cold here (50's) . I have to make a point of getting out there.  I do open the door and breath in the fresh air. 

Steve

• Posted

I wore a plastic bag thing over my boot when I shower, available in Uk if you google "limbo protector". Boot came off when i was lying down on the bed for a good washa nd scratch and change the sock every couple of days, keeping the foot relaxed but keeping the toe down angle. I was surpirsed at how quick the confidense came back though, but I've not run or played any hard sports for years!
  • Posted

Hi steve,

Just checking in to see how you're doing?

Doesn't it feel like this happened months ago.....

• Posted

Ok - will be 2 week this thursday so I start putting a little 5% weight on it this friday.   Then 2.4.16 have dr. appt. then PT    pretty boring and

slow process.

Been reading alot and planning vacations 

Got outside a few times last wk. but it is suppose to be high 30s today.

How did your cast problem work out?

Did you see the Dr. again? or soon? I wonder

what he is going to be looking for on our next meeting.

Does feel like a long time ago.

Hope your doing ok

• Posted

Pretty much the same as you. Long and very boring days....reading a lot. I work from home so that can keep me a little busy.

I try to get out once a day just one feel "normal". I'm having a much more difficult time emotionally than I thought I would. In the past I've always been able to "power through" and with this I cant.

Mt doctor doesn't want any weight bearing until after I see him which is January 27th. I'm still reading everything I can and I fear I should be starting before that.

Any good ideas for next vacation?

• Posted

How did the Dr. appt go?   Did you start any weight bearing?

Planning a cruise in June.  I figure with the worst case I can still go.

Afraid to plan anything to active since I have no clue how this is going to

turn out and on what time frame I will be able to do anything.

Hope you are doing ok

• Posted

Today is the last day of week 3!  I started weight bearing this past week with  no problems.  started with about 5% and easily moved to about 25%+ by mid week.  No pain at all .  Dr. said to use pain as my guide so I guess that is good. 

Have next appt wk. from tomorrow then I think PT .  Pretty boring. 

• Posted

Sounds great for you. I haven't been as lucky as you. I'm having swelling and throbbing in my foot. Extremely uncomfortable. I can't seem to find much about it.

What cruise are you taking? I've been a travel agent for 25 years so I've been on many cruises. If you have any questions feel free to pick my brain.

If you happen to come across anything that may help with my issues I would greatly appreciate it.

Keep up the good work.

• Posted

Hi Guys

Glad everything is going well. Just wanted some advice (and reassurance hopefully)

I ruptured my achillies tendon playing tennis on Oct 4th 2015, I went for conservative treatment because I had never had surgery before so was a little scared, plus was told that it could heal naturally. Anyway, came out of the boot after 9 weeks and starting walking in normal shoes, at week 10 I was in the kitchen and suddenly it went again. I head the awful 'snap' and was devastated - espcailly as it was just before Christmas and I thought I was on the road to recovery.

Had surgery two days later (on 16th December), was back in a cast for two weeks and now in the boot. It has now been 6 weeks since surgery and I get tosleep (only) wth the boot off from tonight. Boot due to come off for good on 16th Feb (9 weeks) and then hopefully drive from 8th March (12 weeks). This week I have started to FWB with the boot and crutches 

Does this timeline/progress sound ok? Its great to get feedback from someone who has recently been through it all. The re-rupture was horrible but in a way im glad because it made me get surgery, which in the long run might be best...

• Posted

Jacob sorry to hear about your re rupture.  

I ruptured mine 1.2.16  and have yet to start rehab. just started limited

weight bearing.  

My understanding is that the PT and early weight bearing is the key to success whether  you have surgery or not.  If you google:

Accelerated Rehabilitation Program For Non –Operative Treatment of Achilles Tendon Ruptures1 Mark Glazebrook MSc., PhD. MD, FRCSC), Dip Sports Med

You will get a PDF of the exact protocal that I am following.  From what I read this sounds like a good idea to me.  Is this what you are folllowing?

Really not sure about your timeline can only show you what my doctor recommended. I still do not know if this will work as I just started week 4 today

good luck

• Posted

we will prob. go on the Carnival Valor.  Usually go on the Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas for my birthday but they addded a lot

of rooms and last yr. it was to crowded.  we like Celebrity alot but they are not in Fl. in June.  

I would go see the dr. on the swelling and throbbing in your foot.

Does not sound right.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.