just ruptured my Achilles tendon

Posted , 9 users are following.

I ruptured my Achilles tendon on 1.2.16 while on vacation in fl.  I live in ga.  after some quick research we drove home yesterday on the 4th. And have an appointment with an 

Orth. Dr. on the 7th....  

I am 63 and was in excellent shape.  Was trying a new sport (pickle ball)

and was more worried about my knee than anything.  After about 1 hr

felt great then I thought someone hit me from behind with a baseball bat.

When I turned around and there was no one there I was actually quite surprised.  

After doing some research it seems a lot of new

studies shows that non surgical is just as effective as surgical as long

as you have the proper PT.  Will be interested in what the Ortho. Dr, says.

He was highly recommended by the PT I used before who told be he is

the best foot and ankle dr. in Atlanta and that he has done a lot of research in this area.  He is a Emory dr.  will see.

any way right after I hurt my leg went immediately to Clinic and they said

to call an ortho. immediately which meant Monday since I got hurt on a 

sat.  was real depressing.  Looks like a long road ahead.  Will read up on

Some of the posts and see if I can get anymore good info.

0 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I can't understand why they added more rooms. People love that ship but adding more people is not good.

I called the doctor and her responce was this is going to hurt. Ice and elevate. It's very frustrating.

Keep me posted on your progress.

• Posted

Had my 4 week exam with ortho. yesterday.  He said it is healing and looks good.

He did some test and he said it looked good.

will go to PT monday to do different range of motion exercies.   Only exercise so far is PWB up to 50 maybe 75% of weight at most.  Do not see the Dr. for 6 more weeks so there is no way I will drive at 8 weeks.  After the 10 week appt. he will

have me start doing harder weight exercieses with the PT if everything looks ok.

When I look around the web seems most people are doing a lot more than I am 

at this point but it is hard to say.

Will be interesting to see what the PT says monday.

Still no pain at all and just a very little swelling so I am lucky in that regard.

• Posted

Its a really variable recovery story, but I know that the more you do the exercises ther better. I don't think I pushed enough and and 16 months down with a good tendon but a weak calf muscle
  • Posted

recap: ruptured the achilles on 1.2.16 saw the Ortho. Dr on 1.7.2016 so I started week 5 this 3 days ago.

Today had my first PT meeting .  The Dr. recommended I go the beginning of week 6 but the protocol he has said week 2 so I decided on my own to make an appointment and go.

The PT was well aware of the Protocol that I was given and had great success with it.

Basically he gave me 5 different range of motion exercise and 3 non achilles exercises that would keep me in shape.

He said at this point I should have better range of motion than I do.  If I followed the protocol I would, but the Dr. said see him week 6.  Sure glad I went on week 4. 

I will do the exercise and if there are no problems will see the PT in 2 weeks to start strength.  The ROM exercises are done 3 times a day.

He also assured me that I could put 75% - 100% weight (with boot on) I should not have any problems

He also did the Thompson test which shows very little movement.  Not sure when it is suppose to benormal  but 4 days ago the Dr. did the Thompson test with same results and said Achilles was healing as it should.

The PT has worked with surgical and non surgical patients (most are surgical)

And in his opinion the negative about non surgical was the weakness of the calf strength.

So the next 2 weeks will be ROM and greater flexibility.

• Posted

Its that 3 times a day bit I found most difficult... but persevere.
  • Posted

I just started week 7 and went to PT today.   We added strength to the

range of motion exercises.  My protocol has pretty much been the same as

Brady Browne who did some great videos on his Achilles rupture in 2012.

My strength has a long long way to go.  Never had great calf strength so that is going to take a lot of work.  

On a positive note we took out one heel lift today and felt completely normal

when I walked.  No pain and no tightness.   Later in the day it did get sore. The PT said I can put the extra heal lift in when needed as the idea is to have it completely out by the end of the week.  I go back to PT next week.

• Posted

Hi Steve,

Sounds like things are going well for you. I went to the doctor last friday and she thinks everything looks great. She wants me to go into 2 shoes this friday. Once again I haven't stared PT but I have been doing it on my own. Very slowly....

I;m just confused because she said no heel lifts just put on your shoes and go. Are we supoosed to put full weight down right away? I know it will be hard and very slow I just want to make sure I don't re-ruture.

Any suggestions?

• Posted

I would ask to see a PT before you go to shoes.  Tell the Doctor you want to make sure you foot is flexible and strong enough.  I never had a Dr. turn down a PT referral.

My Dr. will make the decision when I can get rid of the boot but he

will get most of his info. From my PT

I also felt a lot better after going to my first PT appointment. 

good luck!   I really feel for you.  Let me know how it goes

• Posted

Karen - how is it going?

yes it is very slow.

I go to Dr. this thrs. which will be 10 weeks prob. get the boot off

PT says my calf is extremely weak!  I do at least double of what he gives me and might of over done it yesterday.  real stiff this morning

Hope you are doing ok.   I know there are a lot worse things that can

happend but achellies ruptures su$%!

• Posted

Hi Steve,

Things are going pretty good. I have been in two shoes for 2 weeks. I'm walking everywhere and haven't had the boot on for 2 weeks. That is very nice. My calf is very weak so I walk with a limp. My goal is to try to walk without a limp and regain some strength in my calf.

I go back to the doctor on Friday the 18th. I'm hopeful I will start PT at that point.

At the end of the day my foot is definitley swollen but really not very sore.

I'm going on a cruise in April so hopefully I will be walking better by then.

It's absolutley the worst injury I've ever experienced. And, I think I won't be back on the pickleball court anytime soon!!

• Posted

Hey Steve, I ruptured my achilles 4-24-15, also playing pickleball!

I opted to have surgery as I was 23 at the time. I was told that if I wanted to get back to the caliber of play I was at, surgery was a better option. I have met 3 others who have ruptured theirs. Two did not have surgery and move fine and are playing pickleball as well the other did have surgery and is playing at a very high level now.

Its a really sucky injury and which ever way you go, just listen to what the Dr. And the PT says and you should be fine. Best of luck, if you have questions, Ill do the best to answer them from my experience.

-Erika

• Posted

Hey Steve, I ruptured my achilles 4-24-15, also playing pickleball!

I opted to have surgery as I was 23 at the time. I was told that if I wanted to get back to the caliber of play I was at, surgery was a better option. I have met 3 others who have ruptured theirs. Two did not have surgery and move fine and are playing pickleball as well the other did have surgery and is playing at a very high level now.

Its a really sucky injury and which ever way you go, just listen to what the Dr. And the PT says and you should be fine. Best of luck, if you have questions, Ill do the best to answer them from my experience.

-Erika

• Posted

Thanks - good to see people playing pickleball again after their injury.

At first I said never again (was my 1st time!) but maybe down the road, we'll see.

Been doing everything the PT told me to do and a little more

I think I get the boot off 3.17.16 at 10 weeks.   I have been walking

a few miles a day  for the last 2 weeks so hoping all will go ok when

the boot comes off.

• Posted

9 weeks ago today I had my 1st dr. appointment.  I see the ortho. A week from today and will prob. Get the boot off.  I have been walking with full weight for about a month and 2 weeks with out any heals in the boot.   No real problems there.

Yesterday the PT had me get out of the boot for the first time and stand.  Then he had me alternate the weight between my left and right (the bad one) foot.  Was amazed how stiff it felt esp. since my ROM seemed to be where I thought it should be. When I stood the bad foot felt like it was numb or like a tinkling feeling.  Reminded me of the first time I tried to do ROM and how much more difficult it was than I was expecting.  I also felt that desperate feeling of  not getting anywhere that  I had a lot the 1st 6 weeks of this ordeal. 

Today felt a lot better but still so much more to go.  Amazing how weak my calf is.   

Have yet to miss a day doing the PT  so hopefully it will start to pay off.  It is easy

To see how people can still have issues way after  their injury.

Been great weather here so I been doing about 1-2 miles walking and a lot of biking on the indoor bike.

• Posted

Hi Steve. Thanks for keeping this updated. It is a valuable resource. I ruptured my left Achilles today and have been reading up. Am calling the Orthopedic Dr tomorrow. Have an 18 month old and 4 year old. I am stressing about the grief this is going to cause my wife and kids.

Congrats on your smooth recovery thus far.

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your rupture

best 2 blogs/videos I found were

brady browne

evan

google them with "achellis rupture"  they both have a numer of videos

as they go thru this. 

they did non-operative like i did.  Not sure how and if the surgical differs

Mine is exactly the same as brady brownes where Evans is a little more aggresive.  

My PT stressed that the worst time for re rupture is 10  to 26 weeks

(after the boot comes off) 

PT seems to be the key.  Very slow process but you have to keep at it.

Good luck and keep us informed

• Posted

Thanks for replying Steve.

I actually just finished watching Brady Browne's video series. He was playing for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers at the time, which is the CFL team for the City I live in - Winnipeg. Go figure.

I am in a half cast now and will be getting my boot on Monday - 1 week today. I am leaning toward non surgical as well and believe it is the preferred option around here. Will keep you posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.