Just some advice please!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi again please would be thankful for any feedback! I have recently been diagnosed with overactive thyroid, don't know any of my readings from blood test, and this is all a bit new to me!

I have been prescribed 10mg of Carbimazole and 40mg of propranalol. I have been taking for about a week now!

My symptoms to me seem quite bad, i ache all over, i sweat so much if i try to do anything, constantly thirsty, palpitations and if i do anything one day then i'm in bed all day the next day, basically i'm not living a full life i am 52! I am seeing gp tomorrow and just wondered if any of you could give me some advice as to explain that i am concerned about the way i feel? Maybe i am impatient and medication takes a while to kick in? Also another thing I forgot to mention i have strange appetite just don't know what i fancy to eat and i just crave sweet foods, have any of you had this?

I am just a bit lost at the moment so any advise i would be so grateful!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi! Sounds very similiar to my situation, Super hyperactive thyroid and I started on the same dosage, except i took two 10mg pills 3x a day, and 1 40mg of propranolol 3x a day.  Took about 2-3  weeks for symptoms to even out, I went from no appetite to craving sweets as well. Muscle aches, joint pain, soo weak. I have learned hyperactive thyroid can attack your muscles. All of my weight loss is not fat, its muscle. No fun.  Are you getting regular blood work? If not should be, to see if they can change your meds along the way with improvement of levels.  I also had some side effects from high dose of Methamizole/carbimazole. Tapering it down helped. Drink LOTS of water, and trust me I feel your pain, I am sweating all day at work, embarassing and uncomfortable.  Agreed as well I have limited amount of energy, If i try to do too much, the next day I am down for the count. I average like 4-5 hours of energy a day and people around me don't really seem to understand that. Don't over due it. Best of luck!!
    • Posted

Hi Heather, thank you so much for your reply! You start to feel you imagining it all! Yes am having regular bloods, seeing doc in morning so he will have result there for me! I am lucky that i am self employed but am not getting much work done, which is a worry! It is amazing how ill you feel with this illness, looking forward to feeling better!
    • Posted

I know what you mean! Hard to distinquish between symptoms, sideeffects from meds, and things that may not be related at all. Right now my liver levels are too high to continue medicine, so doing my reserach about Radioactive iodine treatment, very nervous. Blessing that you are self employeed. I am lucky my company has been understanding and flexible, allowing me to work from home and take off for appointments. 
  • Posted

HI I craved sweets too. And I did have  palpatations,constipation,and was tired alot. Check out Dr. Normans video if you get a chance. He is a great Doctor. Just got done having surgery, Had one tumor. Got energy back. Maria
    • Posted

Hi Maria, thanks for your reply,where will i find doctors video?
    • Posted

Just go to Dr James Norman parathyroid Center in Tama Florida. He shows how long it takes him to take one out and alot of information on it also. Its very interesting.  Maria
  • Posted

Hi Welsh Girl - like you I am newly diagnosed (3 weeks). Have times when I get really hot and twitchy, emotional, nausea!! argh I hate it. Can't exert myself at all - even walking upstairs I need to sit down. Let's hope we both get sorted soon :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.